Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wind chime string

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 14:17

Hi folks,

My wife started making noise about we don't have any wind chimes on the porch anymore. Hmmm, over the years we've bought some large, expensive, great sounding ones, however the string broke and they were stored.

OK, time to get some string and get to it. ****STICKER SHOCK***** According to the internet, you need 1.8mm string, OK, off to Amazon. All they have is 100 feet for $19.95 + ridiculous S&H as the vendor is offsite. Doing a further search on the internet, that's a good price? A lot of places want to sell you only enough for one chime for $30+.

Hmmm, did a search for just 1.88 mm Dacron line. Got some fishery places in canada which seem very reasonable. Take a while to get through customs though. Will "net" material hold up to a wind chime?

Thinking I might just get some mono fishing line, 20-30 lb. test. If I have to replace occasionally, that would be OK. Not sure about the UV, however they are on the porch, under the roof.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wind chime string

I've used both mono and braided fishing line with about the same results. I use cheap 50 lb test line from Wal-Mart. The chimes are on the porch and not exposed to the weather. But, over time the line will deteriate. The last i did was three years ago and they are still holding up.

o

If you've never done any big water fishing, perhaps you don't know of steel wire leaders. You will find them at your local fishing supply store, or even at Walmart. You can get a pack of (3) 30-40 lb test 18" stainless steel wire leaders, with clips attached, for less than $3.00.

Here is a link that might be useful: 18

o

Check with your neighbors, to see if they
want your wind chimes repaired.
(maybe the original strings didn't just
break by themselves).

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 16:58

Thanks Nod, about what I've decided to do. Much as I hate to go to "wally world." 'guess I gotta.

Don't think stainless steel leaders will provide the sound, also a large wind chime probably has 100 feet of string/twine. I own a farm, can see neighbors in the distance, but can't hear them, and vice-versa. Anyone who wanted to cut string would discuss that with the dogs...:-)

I thought we were past April 1?

Nod, thanks again,

Ev

o

I used nonalignment too. Also excellent to keep birds out of places. They think the bird can't figure out what it is or can't quite see it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here