Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neighbors gas 8 octane over recommended?

Posted by robertz6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 14:57

I was walking by today when a neighbor was trying to get his Craftman walk behind mower started. He said the plug was new and he was running it without a filter (which I never did).

But the point I had a question about was the octane, I imagine the manual says 87 octane for the Sears, he said he went to premium (I guess 93 octane). If higher octane runs the engine hotter, is this enough to shorten engine life?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whooops, I can't subtract

Whoops, I can't subtract. That would a difference of 6 not 8 octane.

o
RE: Neighbors gas 8 octane over recommended?

No he is just wasting his money.

o

Actually the higher octane will run cooler. More likely to cause carbon buildup. A waste of money.

o

When I bought my (Stihl) chainsaw a few years ago, the tech told me to use premium because it contains less ethanol than 87/regular.

I haven't had time to confirm if that statement is true.
That said, the saw and everything else I run on super, works great.

Other than that, unless you're running a high compression engine, the extra octane is a complete waste of money.

o

An't gong to matter! running the engine with the air filter removed will alow all the dust, grass clippings, to be sucked down the carb. If that don't plug the carb. up it will soon wear the piston to cylinder wall clearance, turn the oil to gritty past and it will start smoking, knocking, and eventually won't start. If he really wants to save money and heartaches down the road spend the extra money he is wasting on high octane gas on a new air filter. That would be the best bang for his buck if it an't too late???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here