Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Tiller Advice Please

Posted by BrittneyT2 zone 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 15:48

I'm planning to till up a large section of my yard to start a new garden. 2,000+ square feet. Plan is to till 8'x4' beds. The area is currently just grass. I've been looking around, and tillers aren't cheap. I thought about renting one, but I may need to use it over several days, at which point the rental fees would add up significantly. Also planning to only till up about a third of it now to start a small garden now, and then work on the rest in the summer to finish it out. My research so far leads me to believe that I need a rear-tine tiller.

I'd appreciate any advise you all can give me as far as if rear-tine is the way to go, what brands/models are best, or if there are any I should absolutely stay away from. Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Tiller Advice Please

It may make more sense to hire the initial tilling out to someone with a tractor and large tiller.
After that, maintenance tilling won't require a heavy duty machine.

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 21:56

Big garden, 4x8=32sqft. That's 62beds in the 2000sqft. "Beds" usually refers to raised beds with wood or masonry sides. Rear tine tiller would be very awkward in that small space. I'd think something like a mantis-after it's been initially tilled and sod broken up and the soil is ready to plant. Previous suggestion of having it done with a tractor seems very viable.

Is this a community garden project? 62 raised beds is a huge undertaking.

Good luck,

Ev

o

I suspect OP simply meant that he would start with a smaller area to plant, and expand as time permits. Before I began reading responses, I was going to say the same thing as Bill. That is what I did although it was extra easy because I already had the builder's equipment near by, available for hire.

However, I have solid red clay that seems to need reworking each year and I have a Horse tiller. My garden is only a third the size of Brittney. However, if raised beds Are the plan, then the initial tractor etc is even more reasonable, and only a shovel and spade needed afterwards. Another point is that if 'grass' meant lawn, then rototillers often have trouble getting through the heavy roots and solid surface.

o

I am late to the show, but I will show how I build and extend my gardens. I cant come up with enough organic matter at one time to build a large area (without buying it).

I added about 100 sq. ft. to my garden this year and took pictures for a forum member.

I also did a small review of my three tillers that is posted on garden web.

Larry

photo 001-57_zps8c6a389b.jpg

photo 007-5_zps0f2f17e2.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here