Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sceee1991

Tiller Problem

sceee1991
13 years ago

Yesterday my father-in-law gave my wife and I a rear-tine tiller. He said the motor runs good, but there is something wrong with the transmission. He didn't know what it was, but the wheels are sliding away from the tiller body as if they are going to fall off. I noticed that as I rolled it down my driveway the wheels were pulling away from the body.

I don't know what brand the tiller is -- I can't find it labeled anywhere. It has an 8 hp Briggs & Stratton engine on it. I am sure that doesn't help much on this issue though.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? If so, is it worth fixing?

Comments (11)

• mla2ofus
    13 years ago

A brand name certainly would help. Maybe a description of what it looks like and color of it.
    Mike

• sceee1991
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How about this:

{{gwi:303143}}

{{gwi:303144}}

{{gwi:303147}}

• fredbarber
    13 years ago

I'm no expert, but this looks like a Troy Bilt Horse to me. Compare it to the pix in the eBay listing below. If you Google it you can find exploded parts diagrams that will probably help you figure out what's going on. It looks to me like it has a solid axle, so if the wheels are pulling away from the body it's probably because the pins (or whatever) that are suppose to hold 'em on are broken or missing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Troy Bilt Horse

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

You have Troy Bilt Horse. The last photo shows roll pin broke take wheel off after find way block up machine so that side be off ground pull wheel so get broke pieces out axle clean hub and off all grease. Then go to good hardware store that have Grade 8 bolts nuts get 2 nuts so use second one as jam nut. Bolt you need is 5/16 x 2 3/4 and get 2 grade 8 flat washers put one on each end bolt you going to collapse hub by tightening bolt so want move on axle shaft be good if have torque wrench set to 35 foot pounds grade 8 bolt should hold that much torque. Lowes have bolts you need remember grade5 brake under torque needed.

Watch out folks try talk out that Tiller there people out there knows Troy Bilt Tiller best out there. New cost that tiller you have around 2500.00 dollars are more. Year model that tiller be in early 80's serial number above right wheel on transmission case to side cover that can tell year month made.

• mla2ofus
    13 years ago

Yep, it's a horse.The old ones like that are more sought after than the new ones!! By the looks of things you also need to change the axle seal on the side w/ the loose wheel.Also check the tine shaft seals. If you run a horse tranny low on oil it gets expensive real quick.
    Mike

• javert
    13 years ago

Wow, your F-I-L gave you a real treasure! Gator Rider nailed the fix - although originally your wheels were locked in place with 5/16" by 1 1/2" spirol pins, bolts will be easier to find and install. That hole you see in the spindle in the last photo has to be aligned with the hole through the shaft. You can insert a screwdriver blade or large nail to help keep the holes aligned while you start the new bolt.

Is it worth fixing? HECK YES! Or I'll come take it off your hands.

• sceee1991
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! I am pretty excited now that I know what I have. :-)

Now to get it fixed up and going.

• sceee1991
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! I am pretty excited now that I know what I have. :-)

Now to get it fixed up and going.

• sceee1991
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am obviously missing something. I was hoping to find the serial number today, but I have searched above the right wheel (right side when standing behind the tiller) and I cannot find it. All the numbers I have found don't seem to be useful:

P0-13
    2A7-E
    TH-1001
    TH-1003
    80-35
    Garden Way TH-1019 80774

The engine model number is 190432 if that helps.

Any advice on where I should be looking for the serial number would be appreciated, or if one of the numbers I have posted above is more useful than I think it is, that info would be appreciated too.

Thanks again for all the help.

• mla2ofus
    13 years ago

There's a flat spot on the top of the tranny right next to the right wheel. That's looking from the handles. Get a wire brush and some brake cleaner, penetrating oil or some really light oil. Clean that area off real good, wipe it w/ a clean rag and you should find the S/N stamped in that flat spot.
    Mike

• sceee1991
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike, I found the serial number. It seems it was manufactured in December 1980.