Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman tiller problem

Posted by delanders none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 17:37

I am new here. I have a craftsman tiller, 18 inch counterrotating tines. When we engage the tines, they engage until they hit the ground. they stop when they are on the ground. When I raise them off of the ground, they spin again. the tines work great in the air but not on the ground. foreward and reverse. any help? thanks del

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman tiller problem

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 19:53

I'm not familiar with this tiller, but either you have a belt that is very loose, or improperly adjusted idler pulley, or maybe a sheared pin in a direct drive. Clutch adjustment?

Type your model number into Google and look at a manual.

o

While I don't know about your tiller, I assume that it is belt driven. It is reasonable to assume that either the belt has stretched too much or perhaps the tension just needs to be adjusted. It looks like there is a black plastic guard covering the belt. Remove it and see if you see the belt slipping when the tines hit resistance. If the adjustment still has room, just change it, otherwise bring the belt to an auto parts store and get a very slightly smaller one.

o

Are you sure the transmission engaging all the way?? I had one few years back and I heard big clunk when shifting to and from fwd and reverse. I would check the cable maybe it binding and not engaging all the way. Could be out of adjustment, corroded and the cable not moving much, ect. wait the travel and see if you can get trans lever engaged more.

o

Post the Sears 917.xxxxxx number (or whatever it is) so people can look up YOUR tiller instead of speculating on which of the various kinds it may be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here