Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poulan 25DA Chainsaw Gas Cap?

Posted by Randy31513 Georgia 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 18:19

I have an old Poulan 25DA chainsaw that the gas cap striped.

I have tried a lot of parts places and it is no longer available.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poulan 25DA Chainsaw Gas Cap?

Randy, I know you have found a cap by now or you might have to get creative. Such as: I have used plumbing plugs or similar when needed (at the link below), close fitting caps and O-Rings, PVC caps if they can take the gas and etc. I'm known to make my own "Temp Plug", with 2 washers, bolt & wing nut and rubber hose, etc.. LOL. Stay Safe! loger

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100346775/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=plumbing+plug&storeId=10051

o

Thanks for the reply Loger. No I have not found a cap after an extensive search. I thought for sure an after market cap would come out since the unit is so common.

I have been thinking about the same thing but had not thought of the test plug you provided the link to. I will still have to figure out a vent of some kind. maybe buy another universal cap and get the duckbill out of it.

It is a great little chainsaw and I sure don't want to give it up because of a gas cap.

o

I thought about the venting but d/n address that. A small puncture in the plumbing plug might allow enough venting w/o a loss of gas or pressure in the tank if needed for priming. I have a Green Machine Trimmer that needs the pressure for priming. I have to use my finger over the vent when priming to prevent pressure/gas loses. It starts and runs like a dream after that alternative step. There are usually alternative w/o stock replacements. One other idea is an ext rubber cap and hose clamp.

What type of vent did your old cap use? Can it be transferred to an alternative cap? Being Safe Is The Key!

o

I made one of those bad decisions on throwing something away since I had a replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement was the wrong one.

The old cap has what they call a duckbill that allows air in but stops fuel from coming out. I think I can make a cap if I have to.

o

OR! Cut 2-3 lower relief's from the top in the old cap perpendicular to threads, add an ext. hose clamp to reduce stripped threads, with a good gasket/O-Ring and be on your way!!

o

I will post a picture if time permits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here