Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dryndusty

Troy bilt pony won't run

DrynDusty
17 years ago

This is my second posting on this topic. I have a 6 horse power TB Pony that ran fine last year. It has a Briggs and Straton Intek engine.This spring it won't start. I've replaced both air filters and spark plug, replaced the gas with fresh stuff, taken the carburetor apart and cleaned all the little holes in the thing that holds the carb bowl in place. The float is good. My more mechanical inclined neighbor and I noticed that when the bowl is off no gas comes out even with a full tank. Even with the float removed.

The latest thing is we got a steady slow drip of gas in the above situation, and the tiller my start, but will only idle for a few minutes, before stalling. We've scratched our heads and can't get it going. Any ideas?

Norm

Comments (11)

• bill_kapaun
    17 years ago

The cheapest thing to check is a clogged gas cap vent. Probably not it though.
    IF it has an inline fuel filter, replace. IF not, it's probably the screen inside the tank.

• DrynDusty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We tried removing the gas cap while the engine was struggling to run without a change in the pattern. I'll try to replace the cap, since that's a cheap fix. Anything else?

• bill_kapaun
    17 years ago

IF loosening the cap didn't help, replacing it won't either!
    Anything else?- Their were 2 additional things in my 1st post!

• tomplum
    17 years ago

You certainly should have a steady (small) stream of fuel with the bowl off. If you pull the float and float valve does the stream improve? If not noticably, check for an obstruction- take the tank off, that lovely kinked fuel line they come with, check the fuel shut off valve if it has one etc. If it does improve simply by removing the float valve there is corrosion or dirt that must be cleaned out. When it all goes back together ,the float should also work freely. If that doesn't work, maybe buy thinner gasoline. . .. ;)

• DrynDusty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bill, I looked for an in-line filter, but haven't found one.
    Is there a filter in the tank you fish out like on my Echo trimmer? is that what you are referring to?
    Tom, when I disconnect the tube coming from the tank there is plenty of fuel coming out. When I hook it back up, just an occasional drip. Also, I haven't seen a shut off valve.
    You mean don't buy the chunky gasoline anymore? Oh, Man!
    No it doesn't improve by removing the float valve and pin.

• bill_kapaun
    17 years ago

"When I hook it back up, just an occasional drip."

Is there a kink or internal obstruction in the line?
    Does it just drip if you remove the gas cap?

• DrynDusty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for answering, sorry I haven't gotten back sooner.
    No kinks. Haven't been able to search for an internal obstruction. I'll try to check that out. No improvement when the gas cap is off.
    When I remove the fuel line from the carb, gas pours out. When I plug it into the carb, very low flow, with the float up or down. How do you remove obstructions from inside the carb, itself?

• bill_kapaun
    17 years ago

Post the engine #'s so I can figure out which carb diagram to look at.
    Sounds like a big chunk of something actually entered the carb and is restricting fuel TO the needle/seat.
    Have you removed the needle itself? IF yes and it still just drips, try to blow some air the opposite direction. (From the needle/seat back out toward the fuel line.
    This carb MIGHT have the Viton? seat (looks like a rubber "O" ring) that might have gotten "wadded up"??????? and is blocking flow????

• DrynDusty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bill,I'll try to get to that this weekend. (This retired life is nothing but run, run,run.) Thanks for the suggestion, it does sound like something that will work. Norm

• bandit_tx
    16 years ago

First thing always, pull the carb, get a bucket of carb cleaner (the kind with the basket, gallon can), and soak 24 hours. Blow out all orfices with compressed air. 9 times out of 10 it will work fine now.
    Might also blow out the gas line itself.

• DrynDusty
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry that I haven't gotten back to this thread. See above: retirement is nothing but run, run, run. Someday I'll get back to fixing the tiller. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Norm