Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
takadi

Good place to buy high quality garden tools?

takadi
15 years ago

The majority of tools I buy are usually from either Lowe's or Home Depot and so far they've been less than satisfactory. The majority of them seem to come from vigoro. First off, they are way over priced. Second, I've had trowels bend on me, I've had the head of a pitchfork come right off, and the axes they sell go dull very quickly and have handles made of cheap plastic.

I live in Northern VA, so I'm not sure of many places to buy good quality tools or stores that specialize in garden tools. Are there any places to recommend? Would I have to go online to buy stuff?

Comments (5)

• rcmoser
    15 years ago

Walmart, Harbor Freight, ACE Hardware. Look pass the cheap ones. Usually they have an entry level and a higher quality selection. There probably all cast in china anyway. Usually the heads on handle equipment are just pressed on, after a few good uses they loosen up. I always drill a hole and either put a screw in to hold them or even drill all the way through and put a small bolt. No heads fly coming off then, course ax handles are just wedged in you may have to install another wedge. Nothing scary than swind an ax and the head flys off on the up stroke.

• kompressor
    15 years ago

Trying talking to the guys who are in the business of maintaining lawns and gardens for residential, commercial and industrial clients. These people have to rely on their tools everyday to make a living for them and they can advise you what lasts, what falls apart and where the good stuff can be bought in your locale.

Every state has its share of big box stores but they also have small businesses that cater solely to the trade. That's the sort of place you need to find and no one here can give you name.

• farmerboybill
    15 years ago

Hey Takadi,

There's many, many places to buy excellent quality stuff online. I pretty much buy only Fiskars brand stuff now. You couldn't break their shovel to save your life. It's something like 30 bucks but you'll never buy another. Its only drawback is it is fairly heavy. Their axes are also excellent - stay sharp, very light weight.

Bill in WI

• masiman
    15 years ago

Depending on where you are in NOVA there are a few places around. Mclean hardware is pretty good as is Fischer's, so is Merrifield nursery. Kramer Equipment is a little hole in the wall place that supplies arborists and professionals (firefighters, emt). Research the type of tool you are looking for first. For tools with heads, look for long shafts and handles that extend all the way down that shaft, something like this. Figure out if you want a D or straight handle, ash or fiberglass. The local stores are pretty good but may have to order special items.

Other good online places are Lee Valley, Ben Meadows.

I don't know what is happening to break your tools but also consider that it might be technique.

Good luck.

• davefr
    15 years ago

Skip Home Crapo, etc!!

Go to farm stores, landscaping supply, forest supply, & outdoore power equipment dealers.

Online you might try Ben Meadows, Baileys or Gemplers.