Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gardenway troybilt tiller

Posted by organic_ross (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 19:50

diagnosis problem: The engine runs good whether idleing or wide open. When you put the tines in the dirt the govenor opens up and slowly loses power till it dies. You only have to go 2 inches into the dirt in an existing garden for this to happen. There is a steady flow of gas, the carbuerator has been cleaned, blown out and adjusted, new non ethanol gas put in and a new spark plug installed. The engine does not smoke and always starts on the first pull. The tilling is done in low gear of a 2 speed transmission. This is only the second year I have had it. The serial # is 27502 with a techumsah engine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gardenway troybilt tiller

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 20:38

Sounds like it is starving for fuel under load. What is the make and model of the engine?

o

If your carb has an adjustable main jet screw(on the bottom of float bowl) turn it CCW 1/2 a turn,then test it in the dirt ....If you do not have an adjustment screw .....you either have a float out of adjutment or a blocked idle passage ....in other words,possibly new carb time....Sorry ,Jim

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 18:02

In the many years that I have done all the small engine work for a store, I've never had to replace a carb yet.

NAPA makes a carb cleaner that you soak the carb in for 5 minutes and wash it with water. It has worked 100% of the time for all varnished or blocked carbs.

I agree that it's a blocked jet or passageway or a screw that's a little too lean. I would adjust 1/8th turn at a time.

o

i have a tiller thats been past on to me from my grandfather all i can find on it is garden way and serial #471161 i would like to find an owners manual

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 8, 11 at 5:46

Try the MTD site. Can you engage and disengage the rear tine assembly? The lever is on the left near the tine's drive shaft.

o

I still have the manual in pdf format if it will help. Just email me and I will reply later today or tomorrow morning

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here