Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digging a trench for a hedge

Posted by crawfj13 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 20:16

My wife and I (her idea, my braun), are going to put in a hedge row of Schip Laurels. The run will be about 30-40 feet long and will be planted in the rocky clay soil that we have here in Middle Tennessee. My first thought was to use a powered trencher to do the heavy work. Once the soil is at least broken up, I should be able to dig the holes for the rather large (3-4) foot shrubs with a shovel. My plan is to do a few parallel passes, but my fear is that this may not be feasible. The trencher that I plan on renting has tracks, not wheels, so that should help some. Has anyone done something similar to this? Or does anyone have any trencher advice? I'd rather not use an auger to dig individual holes it at all possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digging a trench for a hedge

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 7:19

You might investigate if there's a backhoe nearby. It may not cost much more and do a better job. I've learned that finding out what someone will charge to do something vs renting and cursing myself is a good way to go. If access is an issue though, renting may be your only option.

Good luck,

Ev

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here