Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stihl blower problems

Posted by tombob z6IL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 20:22

I have an 8 year-old Stihl BG85 blower that has been a extraordinarily reliable, always starting within 2-3 pulls.

Every spring the spark plug and air filter are changed, and when I mix the gas, I always add Stabil.

Today I got it out, pumped the primer bulb, and it wouldn't start. After several attempts, I removed the spark plug, blew it dry, yanked the starter rope a few times to clear the cylinder, and it sputtered once or twice but never started. I noticed when I pulled the starter rope, gas would spray out the exhaust. So, I cleaned the plug again (gap is fine), let it set for a half hour, then reinstalled the plug and tried again. No luck, but once again, gas sprayed out the exhaust?

What gives? Could the reed valve (or whatever it's called) be shot after all these years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stihl blower problems

2 possible problems: Tank Vent or Carb Diaphragm

After purging the cylinder, try starting it with the tank cap
loosened. If it runs normally then just the tank vent is bad.

If it doesn't then the needle valve is leaking and/or it and the carb diaphragm needs to be replaced.

If the tank is not venting, pressure builds up and forces fuel past the needle valve into the sump and causes the described problem.

o
RE: Stihl blower problems

Thanks for taking time to reply, ray_okla! Today I'll check that out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here