Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cometstorm

Checking pump oil level on Excell power washer?

cometstorm
16 years ago

Hello out there!

Does anyone know how, or if, the pump oil level can be checked on an Excell XC2800 power washer? I see a fill tube and drain plug, but no dipstick. In fact, there is simply a black cap over the fill tube.

The owners manual mentions nothing on checking the level, it only says how to change it.

I called the Excell people, but the person I spoke with seemed clueless.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• so2315
    16 years ago

I had the same exact question and e-mailed Excell (Dewalt). The response I got back was the tube you see on the top of the pump is actually not a tube and the cap on top is a vent cap. To check the level you would unscrew the tube from the pump.

• jimtnc
    16 years ago

I bought the Excel 2400 w/Honda 5hp and deVilbiss pump at HD a few years back, and if I recall my model has the oil dipstick (real short thing) on the underneath side of the plastic oil cap. They probably have changed since then.

• mason210
    15 years ago

There is no way to check the oil on the XC2800 via dipstick, etc. Unscrew the oil cap (long blk tube) and the oil should be visable just below the fill hole. As long as you can see the oil you should be safe.

• cometstorm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OOpps. I should have provided this update:

I recontacted Excel, and finally got hold of a person "in the know."

Also, note that when you drain the pump oil and go to install new oil, the oil will NOT channel down on it's own via the hole under the verticle tube. It just sits there, before taking on the required quantity (don't ask me about the miss THIS made!).

Anyway, the Excel person explored the problem and offered this solution:

To change the pump oil, remove the pump completely (a very easy process, involving removal of just a few bolts).

Unscrew the filler cap, and dump the old oil out. Turn the pump upright, and fill with the required amound of new oil. Re-install pump.

You don't do anything with the verticle tube area.

Believe me, this is simple and does solve everything.

• gary1210
    15 years ago

Does anyone know of any big box stores that still sell the XC2800 gas power washer?

• cometstorm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gary,

I checked Lowe's online, and don't see any Excell power washers carried by them.

Home Depot appears to have a 2500 Excell homedepot.com

Amazon.com carries them. Refer to this link, but be sure to read the customer reviews about these being shipped with oil in the crankcase causing problems upon delivery. Maybe they ship them dry now, maybe not:

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon.com Excell power washer XC2800

• gjwesenberg_gmail_com
    15 years ago

If you have a Menards Store, they sell one model, the Excell 2500. Can anyone tell me if these Washers are any good? They recommend turning the unit off if not used for 2 minuets. Are all presure washers like that?

• cometstorm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm very satisfied with my 2500, although its the only pressure washer I've owned.

I would think that most, if not all, washers should be shut off if water isn't ran through them for more than a couple of minutes. This keeps from overheating.

In actual useage, two minutes is quite a bit of idle time (just look at your watch, and wait for two minutes to pass by)...... :)

Hope this helps!

• roc4tex355_att_net
    13 years ago

I NEED TO CHANGE ENGINE OIL I NEED TO KNOW WHAT WEIGHT OIL ? EXCEL POWER WASHER HONDA ENGINE 5.2

• cometstorm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have the Excell 2800 power washer with the Honda GC 190 engine.

The manual says 10W-30 for the engine.

For the pump oil, use "Briggs and Stratten SAE30 small engine oil"

As to the pump, in my opinion....Don't overspend for pump oil labeled as "for power washer pumps."

It's the same stuff as the B & S SAE30, but you can pay double or triple for it.... Just another marketing ploy.

• ChrisS001
    10 years ago

My son was using my power washer and he said it shut off while he was using it. When he checked the gas it was full, then he said he checked the oil and there was oil on the dip stick. But when he tried to pull it to start, it would not pull. I checked the oil and it's a little dry. Can you help me please. Did my son brake it or can I fix it without buying another one.