Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mtd tiller

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 8, 09 at 21:21

What is the model #?

o

wish I knew. The tiller is not a worm or gear drive as it looks like it has a chain drive do to the cover to the tines. It is a Yard Machine by MTD and is 3 years old. thats all I know.

o

the problem with the tiller was the shifting fork was bent because it has never gone into gear smoothly. The parts cost is 70.00 and to have it installed is going to cost another 150.00. My recommendation would be, stay clear from buying the model 410 & 420 tillers because of this problem. I know I'm selling this one as soon as I get this one running and buy something different.

o

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 20:57

That shifter was being abused to bend the fork. If it does not want to engage smoothly, engage then release the clutch before trying again.

o

This just happened to my tiller. It'll go foward and backwards but the tines will not spin. Can you tell me where the fork is located on the tiller. Is it toward the motor or closer to the times? I'm going to try to fix it myself but who knows. Also can you tell me where you order the part to fix it. Thanks for the help

o

Has anyone actually been in these gear boxes and repaired them here? I have. The pins on the shift forks to get worn and will slip off the shift collar.

This does not cause all the problems with these gear boxes though.

I am working on one now that the keys on the drive shaft (shifter shaft)will not spread out to lock into the lower (left) gears. It works fine when shifted up to T position. I am thinking these key have lost their curvature. Any opinions on this?

o

These postings are from 09 It is now 11 and I am having the same problem. Goes forward and backward, but won't engage the tines. Has anything been changed since 09? or found out?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here