Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gyozu

Ariens 1540H stalling problem

gyozu
11 years ago

Basics: I have an Ariens 1540H lawn tractor that I bought new in 1998. It is a hydrostatic drive with a 15hp Vanguard B&S engine.

It has given good service since '98. I managed to resurrect it after I got a bunch of leaves stuck up in the muffler and melted a bunch of plastic.

Retaped the wires and it has been good for the last 3 years. I'm hoping my problem is not electrical. I mow about 30-40 hours a year.

So today I started it up Had mowed 23 times this year already last time 10 days ago) and as soon as I engaged the electric power takeoff for the blade it died.

It would start, but only stay on when choked. It is now at the point where if I move off choke to run it dies.

I figured it was something in the fuel system.

What I have done so far.

Replaced the fuel filter (for the last 2 or 3 years I have been running premium gas with red stabil in it to offset the ethanol relate problems)

Made sure that the gas cap airways were not clogged.

Put in fresh gas with stabil

Neither worked, but I figured I would try the easy stuff first.

So, I checked with the local mower repair shop and a rebuild kit is $52 +tax prepaid and 3-4 days to deliver.

I found an online tutorial on how to rebuild a Walbro LMT 5-4993

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/...o_lmt_carb.asp

I have rebuilt a couple of weedwacker and minitiller carbs and gotten them back up and running.

This one uses a rebuild kit # 690191 http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Replace.../dp/B0018TWJX8<?url>;
I'm guessing that there are several parts in here that go to other carbs. I'm hoping the counterman can sort me out on how and what to replace.

???My question is if I should invest in a carburetor soaking setup. Look to be about $25 from the auto store and blow it out with air or will canned carb spray do the job.

This carb has not been touched since it was new (14 years). I took it off and openen up the bowl and it looked clean, but I know it does not take much to clog them up.

???The other question is how do I check the solenoid that is on the bottom of the card. I is in the up position when engine is off. Stop gas from entering the carb upon shutdown.

Also how would I check the circuit to see if it is deliver 12v to the plug? I am not good with electricity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walbro rebuild

Comments (2)