Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water hose connectors rusting and breaking

Posted by backwoodsgirl 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 20:43

I've got an expensive problem and I don't know what to do.

Every water hose I buy, not matter the quality doesn't last but about 6 months to a year.

The fittings rust and break off! They break off in the hose connectors and in the spray heads.

I saw somewhere that you could order rubber hoses with stainless steel fittings but all I've found are the fittings and hoses separate.

Anybody know where I can buy a good quality hose with stainless steel fittings????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water hose connectors rusting and breaking

Have you looked or considered heavy solid brass fittings. I would think major Hardware stores, Home Depot and Lowes would have them. I have used solid male and female ends and feel they will have the female coupled to the ribbed hose connection.

o

I have never had a problem with the brass end connecting to a brass valve, but I have had zinc sprayers corrode onto the male end of a hose. Now I just loosen and tighten that connection every couple of months. Replacement hose ends are pretty cheap and I prefer the plastic ones.

o

It says brass on the label so I figure it's brass.

We've got a LOT of bacterial iron, tanins and sulfur in our water. You can't even drink it.

So, our water hose connectors and such get eaten up.

We are having to replace all our pipes because of it.

Here's just how bad it is....

Those copper pot scrubbers fall apart within just a couple of days because of our water.

Brass usually has copper in it.

o

• Posted by cedgo zone6IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 11:49

Sears Craftsman hoses have a lifetime guarantee.

o

I would just get the plastic ones as suggested. they will leak or break it you ruff handle them, but they are cheap and can buy 3 to 4 to one vs the $4 to $7 dollar and up heavy duty brass ones. I find that rubber hose out last the end connectors. I have pex kit so I get the heavy duty brass ones and pex ring them on. Never pull off or leak. I don't like vinlyn/plastic hoses Cheap all way around and get twisted and colaspe

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 6:10

Yes, plastic is used with acids and bases. Use them instead of metal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here