Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
139 CC Tiller?

Posted by kterlep 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 21:02

We're looking at a small tiller. Sears is selling an MTD 139cc tiller for about $300. For another $80, Husqvarna, MTD, or Craftsman all have tillers with engines around 200cc. Am I going to be sorry if I go with the smaller engine? We tilled about 500 sq ft of new garden last year and will probably triple that over the next few years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 139 CC Tiller?

I personally have a 6hp (250 cc) Yard Machine rear tine tiller and I only do about 750 sq.ft. I would say that you would be MUCH MUCH happier with the bigger one. If you can afford it, I would say that going with alittle extra "oomphf" is far better than not enough. Better to know that half throttle is plenty than to open it wide open and not be able to complete the job.

o
RE: 139 CC Tiller?

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 0:38

1500 sq ft is going to be a bit much for a mini tiller.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here