Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snuffyinatl

Honda FG 110 mini-tiller

snuffyinatl
18 years ago

Any ideas on the reliability of this tiller? It has a little 4-stroke OHC engine, that seems to have plenty of power for its size, and tills good, but how is the long term reliability? I bought it for my wife to keep up her flowerbed, so its not being used on a large garden spot.

Comments (73)

• anonymous1
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I agree that the wheels are useful. I looked on the Mantis web site, and saw that Mantis uses the transport wheels with their edger attachment, so I tried it with the FG 110. Works better than without edging along a sidewalk, because there is no depth adjustment, so without the transport wheels, you have to be careful not to drag the tranny on the sidewalk, otherwise material grinds off from the alloy case. This is a poor design. They should provide a skid pad to protect the tranny. Also, there should be some way to set the depth of the edger.

Like the Mantis, I'm finding that pulling the FG 110 backward is the optimal way to use it.

• Ladyborg
    18 years ago

I just got one of these. I loved it, it was not too hard for a petite woman to handle.

My only problem is when it tries to take off while tilling. Not too much to handle, but still, it's unpredictable, and if not holding on very tightly I'm afraid it might break one of our low windows or something.

Anyone know how to keep it from doing that? We tried changing the depth of the guide bar, but that didn't help much.

As in the post above, I noticed I liked how it worked walking backwards, is it OK to do that???????? Another plus to it is that you don't walk on your freshly tilled row by going back.

• lojbrads_yahoo_com
    18 years ago

Our Mantis tiller really struggled to get the spring tilling done in 2005, so last fall on the advice of my mechanic friend, I purchased this Honda FG 110 tiller. I LOVE how easy it is to start and the engine runs great (it's brand new, it should!). But as a petite woman myself, it really gave me a workout as compared to my old Mantis, for all the reasons listed above. I also felt like it wanted to tip over, which might be corrected by adding the wheels, I suppose. But the Mantis didn't have any of these stability, jumping, digging in problems, and yes, I'm used to pulling it backwards to get a good deep till. I asked my husband if we couldn't take the bottom off the old Mantis and put it on the new Honda and we'd have the perfect tiller. He just laughed at me and said NO!! Suggestions anyone?

• maineman
    18 years ago

Allie,

I'm up there in years and pulling a tiller backwards is definitely out for me. That would kill my lower back. My first suggestion is to use the drag stake on your Honda 110. By pushing down on the handle bars a bit, push the drag stake in and make it do the work of keeping your tiller from running away.

I have a big Merry Tiller, the International model, and there is no way I could hold it back without using the drag stake. I have used a Merry Tiller off and on for over thirty years, and using the drag stake is second nature.

MM

• akachrisinmass
    18 years ago

Its quickly becoming one of my favorite tools, whether its to help turn over larger areas or work over raised beds. Lightweight, starts every time, does a great job, Sometimes a bigger machine isn't what you need

• adkinsca
    18 years ago

allie75,

Mantis makes a tiller like you are talking about with a Honda 4-cycle engine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mantis with Honda engine

• snuffyinatl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, its close to a year I have had this tiller, and no problems at all! It started out as a toy for my wife to use in her flower beds, but then I got to playing with it in the garden, and found out it beats the devil out of using a hoe to weed and hill corn, so it has had plenty of use. It will not take the place of my Troy-Bilt or Merry tillers, but for what it is, it has done one heck of a good job, surprised me several times. I recommend it if you are in the market for a mini-tiller.

• roy_baird_charter_net
    17 years ago

The FG100 is/was a LEMON. . .Great little workhorse. ..Quiet, easy-starting motor. . .BUT the transmission stripped out after only 2 years of light to moderate use. Cannot be repaired - only replaced. . .What should cost in the range of $25 to $35 dollars costs $179 + shipping from Honda. . .maybe cheaper elsewhere???

• subywu
    17 years ago

The FG100A is made by Hoffco USA (using a Honda engine): Hoffco transmission
    .pdf

Contact Hoffco Outdoor Power Equipment Parts and Accessories Hotline at 1-800-999-8161.
    Hoffco Website

• subywu
    17 years ago

Here is the corrected transmission schematic link...sorry Hoffco transmission

• akachrisinmass
    17 years ago

I have the Honda and discovered the "reverse" approach doeswork well. Have used it with and without the wheels and prefer without the wheels which allows it to go deeper into the soil

• tmajor
    17 years ago

Hi, Am looking for a Honda GX31 or 35 engine.

• adkinsca
    17 years ago

Here is a link to a GX35. It is $225 new.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Engine Warehouse

• strelnikov
    17 years ago

I'm not surprised with the mixed reviews of the Honda mini-tillers after having rented a full-sized Honda tiller from Home Depot. Honda is just not doing their homework on tillers. I was trying to till in some loose compost with the Honda, and all it was doing was pushing the compost with the transmission housing, which sits way too low. I gave up in disgust and bought an old used Roto-Hoe 990 for $150. The Tecumseh engine is a bit tempermental, but it does a fantastic job compared to the newer Honda. Home Depot used to rent BCS tillers, which were fantastic tillers. I really gave a piece of my mind to the Home Depot guy. He even told me to go to Rental Max to rent a decent BCS tiller.

• racer23x
    17 years ago

You can find parts for the FG100 transmission at this Website

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawnmowerstuff.com

• subywu
    17 years ago

NICE find Racer23x! I wonder if Honda changed their mind about offering individual tranny parts or if the vendor just found an alternate source for them (outside Honda).

• durgan_sympatico_ca
    16 years ago

I have posted previously about the Honda FG110, when I had used it for about a week. I purchased the unit on 4 April 2006. It worked fine until three days ago. I took it to the Farm Service Depot where it was purchased and was informed today that the Engine is finished.This unit was serviced very carefully, over the last year. Oil changes and air filter were cleaned religiously. The transmission was greased on a regular basis.

I pointed out to the Service People that the Engine was warranteed for two years. They told me they would contact Honda and let me know the decision. I will keep this forum informed regarding the outcome.

I truly love the little unit, and simply cannot garden without it. It has become my most useful garden tool. But I certainly expect it to last more than two seasons. I hope the problem was just an inherently faulty engine, and is not representative of this FG110.

Anyway the ball is now in Honda's side of the court.

Durgan.

• durgandurgan
    16 years ago

Update 21 September 2007 Honda FG110 Warranty Issue.
    I visited the Service Depot today where the Honda FG100 was purchased and was talking to the lady who had called Honda. The Lady told me there was no oil in the unit, and this was passed on to Honda. The Honda Representative told her it probably wouldnt be covered under Warrantee. She had just got off the phone when I visited.

I told the lady she had bad information. I had just changed the oil prior to taking it in for service. After discussing it for awhile the lady talked to the person, who had inspected the unit. Then it came out that there was plenty of oil but that it was grey in colour. I had noticed this gray colour, since I had run the unit for about 10 minutes after changing the oil (10W30, which I always used. What caused the new oil to change colour to grey, after only about 10 minutes of running?

Now the Service Manger is going to contact Honda again. Unfortunately, Honda now has the mis-information that the unit had no oil, and this obstacle will have to be overcome.

I am now awaiting the call from the Service Manager.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

• durgandurgan
    16 years ago

Update 21 September 2007 Afternoon.

I decided to call Honda (1-800 946 6329) to correct the mis-information that was given by the Farm Service Depot; in that the engine lacked oil.

After explaining the issue, the lady informed me that I had to have proof of oil changes. I told her that I did the oil changes myself, but she was insistent that I had to have documents. I told her it wasn't an automobile and to give me her supervisor. She put me on hold and came bck after few minutes and told me she would contact the dealer and would get back to me. That is where the warranty issue remains for now.

• subywu
    16 years ago

Good luck Durgan! Documentation for oil changes? come on!

• oregonyardman
    16 years ago

Durgan & Whoever, I have been watching your posts to see what happens. I also have a mini-tiger FG 110 and love it. I am concerned about how I can have proof that I change oil and keep everything else up to par. ????
    Like you, my FG 110 is and has been my favorite tool when it comes to ground work. Light, easy start every time, quiet, strong, no mixing oil and smelling oil out the exhaust and tills to a perfect texture for planting. Take the two outside tines off and go right down the garden rows wiping out any weeds between plants, etc. on the way.
    Love it and could just about take it to bed with me! Hee hee
    Good Luck with what I hope is the only lemon engine Honda has made.
    Larry

• durgandurgan
    16 years ago

This is a letter sent to Honda PUblic Relations. Am awaitting a reply. In the
    meantime I am without the rototiller, and could use it for preparation of the garden bed for 2008

25 September 2007

Honda Canada Inc.
    Power Equipment Public Relations
    715 Milner Avenue
    Toronto, ON M1B 2K8

Dear Sir:

Subject: Honda FG110 Rototiller. Claim for Warranty Service.

19 September 2007

I purchased the Honda FG110 Rototiller on 4 April 2006 from Brant Tractor Ltd, Brantford, Ontario. It worked until three days ago, but had been losing driving power the last few times it was used. I assumed there was something wrong with the engine, which was beyond my capabilities. It has performed well over the last year, used intermittently as required. I took it to the Farm Service Depot where it was purchased and was informed today that the Engine is finished. This unit was serviced very carefully, over the last year. Oil changes and air filter were cleaned religiously. The transmission was greased on a regular basis.

I pointed out to the Service People that the Engine was warranted for two years. The Service Depot did not volunteer this two year warrantee information, which surprised me. The information about the warranty is in the Owners' Manual on Page 38.They told me they would contact Honda and let me know the decision.

I truly love the little unit, and simply cannot garden without it. It has become my most useful garden tool. But I certainly expect it to last more than two seasons. I hope the problem was just an inherently faulty engine, and is not representative of the FG110.

Update 21 September 2007 Honda FG110 Warranty Issue.

I visited the Service Depot (Brant Tractor LTD) today where the Honda FG110 was purchased and was talking to the lady who had called Honda. The Lady told me there was no oil in the unit, and this was passed on to Honda. The Honda Representative told her it probably wouldnt be covered under Warranty. She had just got off the phone when I visited.

I told the lady she had bad information. I had just changed the oil two days before taking it in for service, and had run the engine for about 10 minutes. After discussing it for awhile the lady talked to the person, who had inspected the unit. Then it came out that there was plenty of oil but that it was grey in colour. I had noticed this gray colour, since I had run the unit for about 10 minutes after changing the oil (10W30, which I always used. What caused the new oil to change colour to grey, after only about 10 minutes of running?

Now the Service Manger is going to contact Honda again. Unfortunately, Honda now has the mis-information that the unit had no oil, and this obstacle will have to be overcome.

Update 21 September 2007 Afternoon.

I decided to call Honda (1-800 946 6329 ) to correct the mis-information that was given by the Farm Service Depot; in that the engine lacked oil.

After explaining the issue, the lady (Jennifer) informed me that I had to have proof of oil changes. I told her that I did the oil changes myself, but she was insistent that I had to have documents. I told her proof of oil changes was irrational, and I told her it wasn't an automobile and to give me her supervisor. She put me on hold and came back after few minutes and told me she would contact the dealer and would get back to me. That is where the warranty issue remains for now.

25 September 2007 I called Honda again today, since I hadnt heard from Honda, which is probably normal since only two working days have passed.
    The thrust of the conversation was that Honda (Jennifer) would call me, and that I should contact the dealer, Brant Tractor Ltd, to clarify what information they passed onto Honda.

25 September 2007 I contacted Brant Tractor Ltd.

The thrust of this conversation was that they had informed Honda that the oil was grey with filings, and that the air filter had been oil around the carburetor, sort of indicating that maintenance had been done. This means the previous mis-information has been corrected at least on the surface. The engine has not been taken apart so the damage or reason for cannot be ascertained. The general view seems to be a mindset that the engine may have lacked oil. This is simply not the situation, but never has the engine been low on oil, and all maintenance has been done far more than recommended. The oil was changed by me almost every time, that I filled the gas tank. Far more than the 50 hour running time recommended.

I have three Honda Engines in my collection. A weedwacker, a lawnmower, and the rototiller. I buy Honda, sometimes at a higher cost, since I have confidence in their equipment, engines in particular. I also have an old Briggs and Stratton on my old large rototiller, plus a Yard Machine Chipper. I do the maintenance on all my garden equipment.

There has to be something inherently wrong with the Engine on my FG110 rototiller, and it has nothing to do with maintenance. Never have I tried to claim on a Warranty. I feel so strongly about this warranty claim that I will only accept a replacement engine. The obstacle put up by the Hondo people about having proof of maintenance is illogical on such a small unit. The only proof I have is seven cans left in the box of 12 cans of oil (10W 30) that I purchase in bulk as required to service my yard engines. The only thing I can offer about oil changes is a sworn document signed by a notary, that I did the oil changes, which seems to be a bit ridiculous.

I would like you to review this Hondo FG 110 Rototiller Warranty issue and decide in my favor.

Details of the Equipment.

Honda Mini-tiller FG110
    Serial Number FAAA-1055259
    Model 110G FN
    Purchased from:
    Brant Tractor Ltd
    1324 Colbourne St W
    R.R. #4, Brantford, Ontario N3T 5L7
    Phone 519 449 2500
    branttractor@sympatico.ca
    Date of Purchase 4 April 2006.

• durgandurgan
    16 years ago

Update 5 October 2007
    Honda 1800 946 6329 doesn't return my calls, when I leave a message. I contacted the Dealer and they informed me they are acting favourably on my behalf, but nothing has been resolved by Honda.

I will give Honda 30 days to rsspond. In the meantime, I am in a bit of misery without the tiller, since I would like it to prepare the garden beds for 2008.

I am studying the Small Clains Court route, and getting prepared for further action.

Durgan.

• durgandurgan
    16 years ago

5 October 2007.
    I called Honda Customer Relations and this is the gist of the converation from the peron who answered the phone. He dug up the file and noticed that there was some note about some dirt in the carborator, and this wasn't covered by warranty, but that Honda was going to give a goodwill settlement, and that "Jennifer" would give me the details and he switched me to Jennifer. Jennifer only had an answering machine, so I left a message to call me.

I then caalled the Dealer, Brntford Tractor, and talked to Kevin the Service Manager. The essence of this conversation was: The dirt in the carborator was a non-isssue, but Honda, Jennifer, was making a customer goodwill gesture; in that. they would pay for the cost of the Engine only, and that they were trying to locate an Engine. There were no engines available. I took this to mean from their normal suppliers. Kevein informed me that this took time and I had to wait.And that is where the situation rests now.

A Warranty appears to be so much written bloviating nonsense in practice. Every effort to subvert the intent of the Warraanty has be thrust forward by Honda. This Honda Engine failed through no fault of my own. It was serviced properly and simply failed, but Honda personnel are acting in a manner, contrary to the intent of the Warranty, without fully evaluating the situation. The Service Manager, Brantford Tractor, mentiuoned to Honda about some oil in the carborator to indicate that the filter had been seviced with the intent to indicate that probably service had been done periodically. (Honda probably assumes this is a massive gob of tar) The Honda Rep decided to enlarge this fact into the reason for the Engine failure. This is certainly a great leap in the circumstances.

Anyway I still don't have a Rototiller, and am not pleased by the actions of Honda.I am repelled by their slithering actions regarding this Waaranty, and expected more. Honour amongst thieves seems to be the motto, certainly in my case.

• dogsdad
    16 years ago

Hard to believe they can't find a replacement engine for a 2 yo model that's still in production.

• maineman
    16 years ago

Durgan,

I don't know if this relevant in this case, but an advantage of 2-cycle engines over 4-cycle engines is that 2-cycle engines can operate in pretty much any orientation, while 4-cycle engines have to be kept fairly level so that their oil pump intake doesn't get above the level of the oil in the crankcase. That's one reason why 4-cycle engines aren't used on chain saws.

For example, the 4-cycle B&S engine on my shredder-chipper requires that machine be on a slope not exceeding 15 degrees. I use a small carpenter's level to insure that my machine is fairly level, especially when I fill the oil. Both my shredder-chipper's engine and the Honda GX-160 on my Merry Tiller require that the oil be filled to overflowing when the engine is level. It's critical that the engine be very level when you fill the oil to the overflowing point.

In using a small tiller, it's fairly easy to tilt the machine quite a bit while using it, either from side to side or from front to back. So the oil level in the crankcase is just as critical, or more so, than how frequently you change the oil. It doesn't matter how fresh your oil is, if the engine is tilted so that the oil pump isn't picking it up. The grey color in the FG110's oil is probably metal powder striped from the cylinder wall or from a bearing.

Hopefully Honda will replace the engine as a "goodwill settlement", although that will be a little belated for true goodwill.

But be aware that the new engine could also be susceptible to being destroyed by operation in a tilted orientation, and should be pretty nearly perfectly level when you fill the oil. What, if anything, does your engine manual say about this?

MM

• racer23x
    16 years ago

The Honda FG110 Engine is the same engine Honda puts on their String Trimmers, which can be run at any angle including upside down. The FG110 Engine only holds 2.7 oz. of oil so you have to make sure you check the oil like the book says. I have sold close to a hundred of these fine little tillers and the only problems we have had is overfilling of oil and a couple that used some oil due to lack of cleaning the air filter. This engine has a small foam filter should be checked before every use, if dirty wash out with soap and water - dry - soak in clean oil and the squeezed to remove excess oil. The gray color in your oil is not from the oil but from engine wear from dirt going through the air filter. if you clean this air filter and forget to put oil on it, your engine will be shot in less then 30 minutes. 99% of engine wear is not from dirty oil but from from dirt going through the intake into the engine causing rapid engine wear. Be glad your getting covered under warranty becase I know of dont khow of 1 company that covers this type of problem under warranty. On your next Honda Engine dont worry about the color of your oil as much as the color of your air filter. This is not a lawn mower or sting trimmer that runs in clean air, it is a tiller that runs 8 inches above dirt that getting tossed around. I know your going to say I cleaned the air filter before each use, but I bet if I pulled the piston and cylinder off your engine I could prove you wrong. One lesson to learn from this - Read the Owners Manual!

• durgandurgan
    16 years ago

racer23x (My Page) on Fri, Oct 12, 07 at 0:27.

I suggest you are overkilling about the air filter destroying the engine with dirt in less than 30 minutes, under typical conditions of operation. If what you state is true, most of the engines in domestic use would be junk. Most people hardly ever clean the air filter. I religiously clean my filter, because I know they are hard to start if the filter is dirty, but destroying the engine is stretching the limit, and I strongly suggest is mis-leading. Right up there with Urban Myths.

A friend of mine has a home built airplane, (a real two seater) and he told me the oil in his air cooled engine turns grey after every flight, immediately after an oil change. He contributes this to being an air- cooled engine-period. They run hot and some small part of the oil breaks down.

I have five engines in my collection. Three Honda's and two others and they just work fine. My Honda weed-wacker gets the same treatment as the tiller, with no problems. One is a chipper that gets far dirtier air than the tiller.

Levelling an engine with a bubble level before filling verges on dumb, dumb, dumb. Eye look is enough, fill to the hole and let a bit run out, and get on with your work. It is not black magic.

• racer23x
    16 years ago

Just as I thought. You think a trimmer engine not running anywhere close to dirt is the same as your tiller running in the dirt? Some idiots dont know you have to stand a FG110 on end to check the oil. Your probably one of them the way it sounds. Clean dry foam air filters can still wreck a engine because its the oil on the foam that traps the dirt not the foam. Dirt will go straight thru a foam filter with no oil on it. Ask any mechanic if throwing dirt into a engine for 30 minutes will harm a engine. If you find one that says no he's probably your mechanic.

• durgandurgan
    16 years ago

Posted by racer23x
    Just as I thought. I suggest you are a salesmam for Honda, and probably never got your lily white hands dirty in your life.

The filter was never an issue in this warranty claim. A dirty filter will clog and prevent air to get to the engine period. The filter was cleaned periodically in varsol and oiled as is normal with such a cheap sponge filter. Dirt bits entering this route will go into the cylinder and get ejected by the exhaust. No doubt some engine wear could be caused in a typical operating environment, and this is easily recognizable by cylinder damage, The only major thing to cause damage would be iron filings, injected by a dumb salesman for 30 minutes.

The crankcase oil is put in the machine with the flat portion on the ground. This is the normal stable position for the machine. Now a salesman probably puts it on a table with a bubble level so as not to get the hands dirty, and probably uses a pippete and graduated beaker to get the exact amount into the machine.

Don't be stupid? Your ramblings indicate you have been bloviating most of your life without the brain in gear.

Honda has nothing to be proud of in handling this warranty issue. They jumped onto the idea that somehow lubrication caused the engine failure. Maybe it did, but not due to improper maintenance by me. They never even looked at the engine.

Even the dealer is disgusted with Honda. Deny, Deny, Deny is the usualy procedure one expects from Insurance companies in handling a claim, not Honda. JERK!

I might add I worked for a Japanese Company for 30 years, and evaluated some warranty claims. We did it with honour- not a "Customer Goodwill Gesture" if the problem was attributed to component failure.

Get Real.

• racer23x
    16 years ago

DurganDurgan you are the one that posted that they found dirt in your carburetor. I suppsose the dirt Fairy put it in there while you were sleeping. I invite everyone to read your other post, like every 2 cycle is hard to start and junk. Your 1 year old Echo GT200R trimmer was getting thrown in the garbage because a 50 cent gas line that takes less than a minute to replace was leaking. Also complaining this site is crap in one of your post. Quote "I find the software on this site abysmal, but take it or leave it". Anybody that can't start a 2 cycle is not to bright. A 2 year warranty covers manufacture defects. What was your defect? Everyone knows you sucked in dirt (from your own statement) wore the rings out, then run it low on oil which caused your fresh oil to turn grey. I think the service shop should have a good talking too. They should have taken it apart, showed you the damage, charged you $40 for teardown and gave it back to you in a box.
    Looking at your post and pictures, I'm sure you probably have used your tiller more in the last two years than a average person would in a lifetime.

CRY CRY CRY big baby. I know why you grow your own food because no restaurant wants to serve you and listen to you complain.

• durgandurgan
    16 years ago

racer23x

How an adult person can arrive at your conclusions, from the information supplied by my posts is beyond comprehension.

The dealer told Honda that there was evidence of of oil (dirt) on the filter to indicate that it had been serviced correctly. I will try one more time. Air filters if clogged do not allow dirt to get into the cylinder. The Engine simply won't start or runs very poorly.

Secondly there has been no evaluation of the engine, except by couch potato battlefield experts like yourself.

The picture of the bed from my blog is a silly attempt to indicate that the areaa was worked up by the Honda tiller. If you look closely it is evident that the pictures depict hand spading. It was worked up with the larger tiller, then worked with the Honda.

If there is 100 hours of operation on the engine, during the two seasons of use, I would be suprised.

Your conclusions are irrational and to attack my character is low life libel.

Be gone, You have done enough harm to your company.

• durgandurgan
    16 years ago

racer23x
    Are you the same front man for Honda, who stone-walled on the poorly designed power drive on the Honda FG100. The internet is full of problems with the drive on the FG100, and this defect cost many people much expense. Every time it was brought to Honda's attention, the spoke-person pretended this was the first time they heard about it. Had this FG100 been an automobile it would have been recalled. Those who got stung should instigate a class action law suit.

Honda's solution was to introduce the FG110, and let those who purchased the FG100 stew.

All is not perfect in this world-even Honda's.

• durgandurgan
    16 years ago

18 October 2007. Honda and the Dealer came through. I pick up a new FG110 tomorrow morning. They finally came around to my line of thinking. I finally convinced them that the maintenance ws done religioulsy on the machine.

I suppose they have to be hard on people claiming warranty, but it was annoying at the time.

In the interval I was looking around to buy another FG110; in spite, of all my travails. I have about halF an acre OF gardens and simply cannot live without this litle marvel.The two season I had the FG110 were a total joy.

I was looking at Mantis with a Honda engine, and almost bought one, except I found they have two Honda four stroke engines on the Mantis. One is 25 CC at 1 HP, and the other is 31 CC at 1.5 HP. The Mantis 7260 is 31 CC and the 7261 is 25 CC. I would not buy a 25 CC engine on a rototiller. And the 31 CC engine is hard to find on the internet.I don't want any two strokes on my property. Fortunately Honda came through before I made the purchase.

Thank your, Honda.

• subywu
    16 years ago

Glad everything turned out OK! Yeah, I love my FG100 as well!

• dogsdad
    16 years ago

Glad it all worked out for you. Just don't take it to racer23x's shop for warranty work.

• halosborne
    14 years ago

Great tiller but dont count on Honda to back up warranty. I purchased this tiller new and out in the oil it ran out on the ground before I even started the thing for the first time. They apparently didnt use rtv on the case halves. Anyway Honda doesnt want to make it right

• tysonanda_gmail_com
    12 years ago

For what it's worth, I had a Mantis tiller that I suffered with for 15 years. When it finally gave up the ghost I decided to try something different and bought the HONDA FG110. I'm on my second season with it and am very very happy with it. Much more civilized machine than the Mantis. Easy to start and whisper quite. Hard to believe I struggled all those years with the Mantis.

• eugeneoregon
    12 years ago

I bought a new Honda FG 110 mini tiller to replace a Mantis that would not run at full power. The Honda started up after a few minutes, ran about 5 minutes, then died. Once it started again it will only run up to about 3/4 power or it dies. Are there any ideas on what might cause this for a new Honda engine?

• tombob
    12 years ago

Check to see if you are opening the choke when the engine starts. When I got my tiller a couple years ago, it was difficult to tell which way was choke open or closed position.

• stoneguy
    11 years ago

Any more recent opinions? My 2 cycle Mantis is giving me fits, and the quiet aspect of the Honda is tempting.

• runswithscissors2010
    11 years ago

I notice several people have problems with motors dying and/or not putting out full power. Besides the choke issue, there are 2 others I've noticed. On a used Troy Bilt mini tiller I bought (2 stroke Tecumseh), I could start it, but it wouldn't rev adequately or keep running (I got it really cheap). Pulled the tiny hose off the tank, and not a drop of gas came out. Ran a wire up the barb, and still nothing. Cracked the fill cap a bit, and gas shot out. A plugged air vent on the cap--that's one reason they won't keep going. But that didn't solve it. Still wouldn't rev. Then I remembered that in the manuals for every engine I've used ever used (big old Tecumsehs and Briggs 4 strokes, little 2 strokes, etc.) they always say to screw the main jet down to seat it (gently), then back out 1 and one-half turns. You're then supposed to turn it back in (with the engine running) until it runs rough, then back out til it's rough, then go to half way between--that's the sweet spot. But try to do that with a tiny engine buzzing and hopping around. So I just left it at 1 1/2 turns out, and it runs like a champ. I know this won't solve everybody's problem, but it's cheap and quick and easy to do. I do agree with the people who prefer 4 strokes, and they've somehow figured how to make them work even with trimmers, which obviously aren't level much of the time. I wonder how they do that?

• maylula
    10 years ago

All this run around on this product makes it look bad for Honda, Seriously, proof of oil changes? On a tiller? Ridiculous! What, are we supposed to take videos of maintenance operations?

What good is a warranty if you can't use it and get something done quickly and efficiently?

Good luck, but the frustration already looks like it isn't worth it.

• pollice
    10 years ago

I owned this tiller up until today. I had it a little more than a year, I made the mistake of leaving some fuel in the tank once - learned that lesson but then it would not start for me this season. I really didn't use it much - twice for a mow strip bed and then two seasons for a 10X30 garden plot. The repair shop had it for a month, they first thought carburator then said the engine is gone. The only thing we could think of was that it got too much dust in it through use - through the carb? I don't get it, it's a tiller that operated in the soil? I cleaned the air filter (and reoiled) twice, I live in CA and my soil is sandy. I typically water down the top of the soil before I use the tool - but I've neve soaked the soil deep. I was lucky, I got a store credit but I'm not sure I want this machine again. Thoughts, recommendations - was looking at the next model up from Honda but it's expensive step and maybe overkill.

• javert
    10 years ago

Guess I'm just lucky. I've had my FG-100 for ten years now, with no problems.

• Mat.123
    10 years ago

Hello,

New to this forum. I just bought the 110, and was wondering if any of you are using ethanol free gas. I have yet to start using it, and would like to start off on the right foot. I have read all about the disadvantages of using ethanol gas for small engines. Thanks!

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

Man, I can't believe people are complaining about a tiller bucking when being used. It's a machine that chops up dirt. What else could you possibly expect unless it weighed a couple hundred lbs?

And to the whole warranty thing. I don't see why it's out of line for any manufacturer to deman proof oil changes were done. If they didnt then any jackass could just run it till it blew then get a free motor. There is nothing about a company paying for customers mistakes that remotely sounds like a smart business practice. Not saying that the guy who got his covered did anything wrong, I'm just speaking generally here.

• dwf1
    10 years ago

Just as a word of caution to everyone; "be aware of the ethanol in your gas" it the enemy of the small engine. I don't think gas can be purchased without ethanol so use a gas stabilizer. There are numerous products available so do your research and get a good one. Most manuals will acknowledge the ethanol issue. Never ever use E85 and in my opinion don't use it in anything including a vehicle that says you can. This is very important so heed the advice!

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

To add to dwf1's post, regular red stabil DOES NOT stabilize the Ethanol in the fuel, believe me. They do make an Ethanol specific blend so if you must use Stabil then thats an option. The Marine version is the best product they make, more concentrated.

For my $$$, sea-foam is where its at. It stabilizes your fuel and helps de-gum carbs too.

ps...Honda carbs hate Ethanol, regardless of the machine FYI.