Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two good lessons learned being new to log splitters:

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 22:05

Two good lessons learned being new to log splitters:

1. Keep your fingers clear of un-split challenging logs. I backed off and the log popped off the wedge with my finger wedged in the log. I never had one to close that tight after attempting to split it. Screaming for a leverage bar finally got my finger out w/o any noticeable damage. The nail is not dark w/o any swelling or pain but it has only been 36 hrs.

2. Install the hydraulic fluid filter per the instruction vs tweaking. I thought I w/n get the filter off vs damaging or breaking the aluminum filter mounts. I was adding a coupling to the mount with a tighter fit w/o breakage. The gasket sealed or swelled like I h/n seen on an engine vs an aluminum casting plumed in. There was no tweaking after the hand tightening afterwards.

There is no end to learning but keep it safe with someone close or checking on you if possible. loger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two good lessons learned being new to log splitters:

Ahh, yes--the problems that callous youth seem to have! But, as Rome wasn't built in a day, and as things are learned best by "doing", i suppose you might make it in this world with all of yer appendages. i.e. Fingers, toes, feet, ears, etc. Why ears? If your mother was like mine-every time i goofed, she had a firm grip on one or the other of them!
Of course, i lost my left foot in war-time, and the tip of my right first finger too, but i learned how to overcome those injuries, and how to work around them.
Hopefully, you will learn about the dangers inherent to everything you might want to try. My advice is to have eyes in the back of yer head, and wear steel toed shoes, and watch wwhere ya put yer hands, feet, and fingers!
BT/DT: Rusty Jones

o
RE: Two good lessons learned being new to log splitters:

Thanks, Very Good Advice! Plus, I'm learning that wood that is matted or not clean grain can be unpredictable when you are trying to force it to split. I have respected this in some obvious cases and sawed the wood into blocks to burn. loger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here