Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which trimmer string do you use (stihl trimmer)

Posted by browndog77 sc (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 22:07

I have a problem with string coming out of a fixed head (non-bump head) Stihl trimmer. We have two, and it's the same issue for both. We've tried different thicknesses of Stihl line, but have same problem. The thicker line does work better, but when we're into the heavy stuff, it all seems to fly out. I spend more time rethreading string then actually weedeating.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a seperate brand of string that actually holds in the trimmer better? So far, the best has been some expensive star shaped line from tractor supply, but it still has some issues.
I should clarify that I'm not talking weedeating the flower beds, I'm talking chewing up some serious grass and weeds on a ranch that includes fenceposts aplenty, concrete, etc... Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which trimmer string do you use (stihl trimmer)

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 22:49

I was not happy with the Stihl round trimmer line and tried Echo's Crossfire. Have been very pleased with it, it cuts well and does not need to be advanced as often.
Fence posts and concrete will destroy any line, rather than moving in right away try a slower approach so the line cuts with minimal contact with the obstructions.

o

You may laugh but when I purchased a Stihl FS-56 last year and had the same issue - I actually replaced the head with a PivoTrim from Home Depot. Solved my bump & feed issues.

I have about 200 feet of chain link, 50 feet of raised concrete paver bed and about 80 feet of a natural rock border I do in about 15 minutes at this point. No longer do I stop for string.

I do replace the string after each cut so I'm ready for the next time though. Since it only holds 4 or 5 (can't recall the exact number) it's totally painless.

For a small price and large payback on performance - it's well worth it.

o

I just use the Stihl stuff. No problems. Just make sure it is the correct width.

Bill

o

String Trimmer Line Cords can be a nightmare when trying to get your weed Trimming task completed. On going breaking trimmer String line cords and downtime can be frustrating when this type of issue occurs.

We gave up using String Trimmer Line cords in 2012 after we discovered a new Trimmer String Line Replacement kit called the Trimmer Genie String line replacement kit.

Now we have zero downtime and the new Trimmer String line replacement kit stops all flying debris and helps protect trees while trimming.

There is also another type of technology Trimmer String line replacement kit called ( Hover Trimmer ). While we have never used it, the benefits look excellent too. If you wish to turn your weed String Trimmer line head into a Stringless Trimmer and never have to worry about on going broken Weed String Trimmer Line Cords again then you should check out either of these new Trimmer Head applications.

Hope this helps you with the hassle of having to deal with Nylon String Trimmer Line Cords again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trimmer Genie Reviews 2013

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here