Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I can hardly wait

Posted by andyma z6?MA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 22:19

My buddy just gave me his Stihl 041 Farmboss. It was the inspiration for me to buy the exact same saw back in 1976. Paul's saw has 150 hrs best guestimate. But the starter is boogered up. Very little grab and the rope doesnt wind up. It hasn't run in 10 yrs. From what little I can turn the crank over, it appears to have great compresh. I have the manual, and have an exploded view with part numbers, Ive had mine all apart about 20 yrs ago when I repaired the housing with aluminum flat stock JB Welded and riveted over the cracked spots. I havent taken it out of the trunk yet. I am gonna pour some Marvel Mystery oil into the plug hole when I get home from work tomorrow. I hope I can get it running. If not, it is a lotta spare parts. I don't have the time to mess with it now, I can hardly wait.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I can hardly wait

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 23:37

I started my small engine career in a Stihl shop in the mid 70's. The 041 Farm Boss was my favorite model, easy to work on and lots of grunt. Too dang heavy for this old back now.

o

It took a coupla fit and trys, but all that was was wrong was that who ever replaced the starter cord didn't tension the recoil spring enough. Once I cleared out the cylinder, and tested for spark, it lit off. The recoil is easier to work on than a B+S recoil. I wound up the spring and held the pulley with a pair of vise grips clamp on the shaft. The FB is a beast. About 15 yrs ago, I started to run just a tank of gas at a time, then quit for the day. The idle is kinda bad, but I think a carb cleaning will sort it out.

o

Trimmed an azalea bush with it just now. Started on the second pull and idles fine. Just likes to be run a little. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here