Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troy-bilt Pony Tiller won't start

Posted by dryndusty z8 AZ (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 07 at 22:49

I have a 6 horse Troy-Bilt Pony tiller with Briggs & Stratton INTEK 140 engine. When it wouldn't start this spring I changed the old gas for fresh, changed the two air filters and the spark plug. Not a sign of life, it didn't fire at all.
Today I invited my hotshot neighbor over, the one who usually knows everything about everything. Gas is coming out of the tube from the tank, the spark plug is wet a bit, after you pull the rope, there is a good spark, as evidenced by his inline tester. If starting fluid is sprayed into the carberator, it will start and run for a second, which we did several dozen times. We drained out all the gas again and replaced with fresh. No joy. Any thing we over looked or can think of why it won't start?
Norm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troy-bilt Pony Tiller won't start

You must clean the carburator, grasshoppa...

Gotta love spray carb cleaner, Remove the bowl, clean the bowl, blow up into the stem that you took the bowl nut out of and drain some fuel through to ensure all the old stuff is out.Make sure the float is working freely. Next blow through the passages in the bowl nut and re-assemble. Usually that does it without taking more extrordinary measures. Keep the carb cleaner off the rubber bowl seal.

o

Thank you for recognizing this small one, Master. I will spray the sacred Carborator Cleaner as directed.
Norm

o

Also, make sure breather hole in gas cap is open. If it is plugged up with a mud wasp egg, it won't run more than 15 seconds!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here