Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irish83541

Yet Another Mongomery Wards Rototiller

irish83541
15 years ago

I too have recently acquired a Montgomery Wards Rototiller (front tine). It is Model Number GIL 1580 F. For the past 10 hours I have been on the internet trying to find an owner's manual for it. I have also been searching for the B&S number and still can't find it.

It doesn't seem to want to start, but I also noticed that there is only 1 belt (front) on the pulleys. It looks to have been well taken care of but we don't know how long it has been idle. The carb is getting fuel, so spark plug is next on the check list. Would anyone happen to know what B&S engine was used on this model so I can get the parts list for it? It's a 5hp vert. and the front of it says "Dependable Power Plus".

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (62)

• mall71270
    14 years ago

go to rustytiller.com technicl page tiller identifcation tiller manual down load may be this will help

• anniesdad
    14 years ago

I have a Montgomery Wards Rototiller model GIL 1565E. I'm looking for the pto/ clutch assembly. This is the arm w/ pulleys that mounts on the engine and the linkage. If anyone has the parts to sell, let me know.

• abehe3ep
    14 years ago

OK...I've gone to www.rustytiller.com and found the owners guide for my MW 1580F rototiller. However, the B&S page does not return any manuals for the listed engine (130202-0135-07) and I need an engine part. Specifically, the rewind spring is not strong enough to rewind the pull cord against the shaft. Any ideas, different/similar engine numbers and/or rewind spring parts number?

Thanks,
    Ebenezer

• Greg Goyeneche
    14 years ago

Briggs doesn't say so, but use 130202-0135-99 to get the IPL. Your spring is 294303 and should be $4 or $5.

I doubt if the spring is bad, and there is only one spring. You might want to get one or two more turns on the starter sheave to increase tension, but more likely you need to check for drag and binding, which is causing your rope to fail to retract properly.

Is the starter clutch in good condition? Does the rope rub on the housing? Is the sheave free to rotate without binding? Do you have too much rope? Did someone replace rope with larger diameter (thicker)?

• btakscruggs_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Hello My father is looking for a worm wheel for a
    model Gil 1570b part # 1004 can someone please help me
    find this part my e-mail btakscruggs@yahoo.com

• tiller1
    14 years ago

I have a white's ranger. It looks like a gilson parts are worn out in the gear case any idea where to get parts?

• latta
    13 years ago

Woody, I would like to get a copy of the owners manual with a parts list for the GIL-1580-G tiller, and would be glad to pay for postage and copying. We have the same tiller, just no manual. Please let me now how to receive this copy. Thank you.

• kylefeldmann
    13 years ago

Briggs n stratton
    model 92902
    type 2067-01
    code 80020505

• kenny_h
    13 years ago

I have both the Briggs 130202 part breakdown and the GIL 1580 owners manual in pdf. Just email me and I'll send you a copy.

• kctme
    13 years ago

Kenny_H,

Please send me a copy of B&S 130202 and the GIL 1580 manuals. I need them to work with my tiller. Thanks!

• kctme
    13 years ago

Kenny_H

My email address is

kctme@ureach.com

Thanks!

• trackman1948
    13 years ago

What type of spark plug does the 5 horse B&S require?

Any additional info will be welcomed

whatfour1@yahoo.com

• trackman1948
    13 years ago

If anyone has a repair manual for the Model Gil 1589A, or anything close, can you email it to me at whatfour1@yahoo.com .

If you have a repair manual for the engine, a 5 hp briggs and stratton Power Kraft that would be welcome also.

If you want some money for it let me know, I am trying to get this relic to go, and without the needed information it is real slow.

thanks

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

Go join Gilson yahoo groups dot com they small amount info there on tillers its gilson tractor group ask question there be best place Gilson was made for mongomeryward all Gil numbers mean Gilson.

• nbailey007
    13 years ago

HI,

I am seeking a diagram, photo, pdf file, for any gilson rototiller I have a 1575E I need help with the pulley system I bought this used and everything works fine except the pulleys? The rustytiller.com website sucks! I don't know if anyone else has had problems but it seems to be a add site with no use full information.

any help appreciated Thanks!

• jennifer579878_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i need pats manuel for gil 1545b 5hp roto tiller

• sargesam57
    12 years ago

i have a front tines rotortiller that was bought at Montgomery Wards.
    It does not have a belt to pull the tines, but looks more like some kind of a clutch. the forks going to the clutch has worn down alot, this does not let the clutch engage. Anyone know anything about this setup and where I can get parts for it?

• dondetwiler_rocketmail_com
    12 years ago

I need a worm wheel (Part #1626) for a GIL-1576A
    Rototiller. I have the owner's guide for this particular
    model.

• Greg Goyeneche
    12 years ago

Same part is used in a 1558A 8hp tiller. Unfortunately this has been NLA for many years. Only chance is to find a similar junker as a donor.

• dillardo_centurylink_net
    12 years ago

The worm gear to my GIL 1580F is gone(worn out).
    Does anybody have the manual, the part number, or a worm gear for this model? Will the worm gears interchange from 1580H to 1580F?

• Greg Goyeneche
    12 years ago

Same availability problem with 1004 Worm Wheel. NLA. Actually more common than the 1626 in earlier posting. However, only answer I know of is to find old donor machine. Lastly, will interchange across all 1580 sub models, and is also common to 1565, 1572, 1575, and 1589 tillers.

• ctwrat_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a White Ranger with bad gear teeth, it also is a 5 horse B&S. My questions are where on the tiller is the Gil model no? Is it stamped on the frame? Where can I find a repair manual? and a set of gears? thanks.

• rdero46_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

my lawn tractor pull around rototiller needs tines model#gil-33095A hole pattern 3/8" in dia 1 1/8 apart approx length 5 1/2"

• jimmy_young04_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I need the belt sizes for gilson model # 1575E...Please someone help me out.....Thanks, Jimmy

• tidus211_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

If someone can email me a pdf or something of the manual showing the part numbers for the belts for a GIl 1580-G and how they are routed i'd appreciate it. if someone has kenny_h's email please let me know so i can get the manual. thanks
    tidus211@hotmail.com

• mr_jjohn_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Well, www.rustytiller.com has given up and gone away.

Unfortunately, they left before I got a copy of the manual for my Montgomery-Wards rototiller. It is a model 1580i (or 1) made by Gilson.

If anyone has a copy of the manual for a model 1580 from rustytiller.com (or anywhere else) please email it to me.

Thanks!

• mr_jjohn_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

WOW, Double WOW-

I got an email with the manual attached today. Way cool!

If anyone else needs a copy I'll sure send it along.

Thanks Again!!

• dropdeadzoom
    12 years ago

i'm a new owner of a gil 39012B wards tiller,in need of a owners manual,any help would be apreciated,thanks

• loger_gw
    12 years ago

Have toy checked the site below? I just saw it vs trying to download. Any specific questions that you might get help on while looking for a manual? I feel I have done some welding repairs on one or two. Loger
    http://www.imarksweb.net/book/montgomery+ward+tiller+gil+1570b/

• Greg Goyeneche
    12 years ago

@dropdeadzoom

Kind of hard to help when you don't post an email address.

See the guys above you.

• dropdeadzoom
    12 years ago

my e-mail address is nathan_shields@yahoo.com

• Lino_Newham
    12 years ago

Kenny_H

Do you still have the manual PDF for montgomery wards tiller gil 1580-g? If so, could you send it along to:

daniel.newham7@gmail.com

Many thanks! My first tiller project and I'm 95% done but can't figure out the throttle assembly under/behind the gas tank.

Very best -
    Daniel

• Dewayne1
    11 years ago

I have a Montgomery Ward tiller Model GIL 1565 G that I am needing information on. The seals are leaking were the tine are. If anyone have part number for these seals or even a owner manual would be a great help. I have look for a pdf of the manual so I can get part number but can not find it. Thanks for any help you can give me. If you have a pdf of the manual you can send it to dewaynep@windstream.net

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

Please post some pics or links to the Wards tiller (lazy me and little search time) and I might be able to help with some B&S specs vs gearboxes (I have old gen small engine manuals from the 70s). I had a Wards tiller in the 70s with a hor shaft, B&S and cast iron gearbox/body that was very tuff and good. I also found the same version gearbox with a ver shaft on a curb. The owned said it runs but I d/n find it as friendly as the hor shaft and put it back on the curb. We h/n needed a tiller since the mid 90s and I have too much STUFF. loger

• flight4f
    11 years ago

I have a Mongomery Wards Rototiller GIL 1580 F all heck has happened to my 30 year old never break tiller.(Tilled the garden as I always have for the last 10 years, when everything broke. All belts are damaged, gasket between carb and tank is leaking, the diff is leaking oil everywhere.) I need all kinds of parts and a manual cannot find anywhere. I love this tiller and need to save it. Any help would be great Thanks.

• Lee1575
    11 years ago

I too have an old Gilson Tiller and in need of a diagram that shows how the pulley system works. It is a GIL 1575C model. My Dad, God rest his soul, gave it to me years ago after he had disassembled it. He didn't have a manual and I would appreciate it if anyone could email me a copy that I could use to get part numbers and the layout of pulley system.

• Bassplayer
    11 years ago

I have a 1500A Montgomery Ward Front tine tiller.Does anyone have any info on this or a parts diagram??

• Greg Goyeneche
    11 years ago

Lee1575,

Can't help you with a manual if you don't enable the "Send my an Email" feature on your Member's Page.

• Lee1575
    11 years ago

ggoyeneche, Sorry about the email address. I went and changed the option for it.

Thanks

• acdc
    11 years ago

I see some other people have been successful in finding a manual for a Gilson Model 1580G Tiller. I was hoping someone could also email me a copy of this manual as well. I was just given one today that hasn't been used in over 10 years but it was well taken care of and it still seems to run good. I'd like to tune it up a bit and have no idea how much oil and such to put back in it.

• Dominick1
    10 years ago

HELLO WOODY, I WOULD A COPY OF THE MANUAL AND PARTS LIST FOR THE GIL-1580-G MACHINE,HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO COPY AND SEND TO UTICA NEW YORK,13502,PLEASE REPLY BACK THANKS.

• Dominick1
    10 years ago

HELLO, WOODY, I WOULD LIKE A COPY OF THE MANUAL AND PARTS LIST FOR THE GIL-1580-G MACHINE,HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO COPY AND SEND TO UTICA NEW YORK,13502,PLEASE E-MAIL ME BACK AT mikey135@verizon.net,please reply back thanks.

• bigfish80031
    10 years ago

I could really use a pdf copy of the manual for a GIL 1580 G Tiller, The rear belt is missing and I need to figure out the routing of the belt. Thank You in advance for any help!
    bigfish80031@hotmail.com

• Tom Hamilton
    4 years ago

Hi al - need manual for gil1580 G and the 5hp Briggs and Stratton engine - help! And thank you

• upup_and_away
    4 years ago

What do u need to do? I ask because i have a WesternAuto tiller. it differs some but major parts are the same with other models. Maybe my copy will answer your question.

• HU-419829478
    3 years ago

I have a Montgomery ward tiller Gil 1580 f. Does anyone know what size belt it takes and where to find one?

• Greg Goyeneche
    3 years ago

The forward (inner) belt is Gilson p/n 1110 and is 1/2 in (4L) x 35 in long. Reverse (outer) belt is p/n 6163 and is 3/8 in (3L) x 37 in long. Suppliers include Kaman Bearing, Bearings and Drives, VBeltGuys, and VBeltsforLess.

• Tiller_Medic
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If ANYONE has been successful getting a Gil 1580 f owner's/repair manual and can email me a copy I'd sure appreciate it. Even a 1580e or 1580 g may be close? Gonna try to direct email to some of the members who left their email also. Thanks.

jana_ouimet@hotmail.com

• Petr Melnichuk
    3 years ago

Have you tried adjusting the points? That's what I did to mine and it started right up after adjustment

• Steve Austin
    3 years ago

Kenny_H

Do you still have the manual PDF for montgomery wards tiller gil 1580-g? If so, could you send a copy me at:

onscenenow@aol.com

Thank You so much, Steve