Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yet Another Mongomery Wards Rototiller

Posted by irish83541 Idaho (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 23:02

I too have recently acquired a Montgomery Wards Rototiller (front tine). It is Model Number GIL 1580 F. For the past 10 hours I have been on the internet trying to find an owner's manual for it. I have also been searching for the B&S number and still can't find it.
It doesn't seem to want to start, but I also noticed that there is only 1 belt (front) on the pulleys. It looks to have been well taken care of but we don't know how long it has been idle. The carb is getting fuel, so spark plug is next on the check list. Would anyone happen to know what B&S engine was used on this model so I can get the parts list for it? It's a 5hp vert. and the front of it says "Dependable Power Plus".
Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yet Another Mongomery Wards Rototiller

Irish,

I'm looking for a 1570B model manual myself..no luck so far. But to your problem. Most Briggs & Stratton engines model numbers are stamped into the flywheel blower housing on the Gilson/Wards tillers. It probably won't be on a plate. It should have three sets of numbers: model, type, and code. There are several web sights that have charts, including the B&S websight to help you decipher it. I was able to download my model 5HP motor from the B&S sight for free using just the model number (the first set of digets). As to the manual, good luck. Fortunately, the Clymer Rotary Tiller Service Manual covers the 1580 series of MW tillers (but not the 1570). It'll run you about 20 bucks for a new one but I'm sure you can find a used copy considerably cheaper. If your machine has been sitting for a while (the one I aquired was dormant for more than ten years), make sure you purge all the old fuel that may still be in the system and clean up the coil and flywheel. I was lucky with this one and a little emery cloth did the trick, but I had to buy a new coil for the old Murray riding mower I pulled from the garbage collection point. Good luck, and if you run across a manual for the 1570 series, let me know.
Almost forgot, I read a post on a small engines forum that I should call Toro, the company that bought Gilson, and that they have been able to provide some manuals for old Gilson products. I haven't done this yet but I intend to do so on Monday. Went to the Toro sight but nothing there about old manuals. Hope this helps.
Dave

o

Dave ~
Thank you very much for the info. I checked Toro and finally found where their interactive manuals were, but there was nothing on the MW/Gilsons. We fully drained the fuel system and put in fresh gas. There is also a real strong spark. It may be that it's going to require more pulls than is normal. It has really good compression. This one looked as if it had been used at the end of last year because the vegetation we pulled out from between the tines was not completely dead or dried up. We purchased it at an estate auction along with a 1994 Duerr 8hp chipper/shredder...but the manual came with it. It was hard starting, but once we did get it going, it ran like a champ! We paid less than 200.00 for the pair. They both look well taken care of, in fact, the Duerr looked brand new.
I'll check into the Clymer publication you mentioned. It may be the only info I'll find on it.
Thanks again for your help and advice. I'll keep my eyes open for info in the 1570 for you.

o

Dave ~
Don't know if this will help you or not, but I found an online manual for a Wards/Gilson Rototiller 1571 at:

www.rustytiller.com/index.html

It may be close enough to what you have as far as design and such.

o

Dealers that have been around forever and sold gilson products in the 60's and 70's WILL have the diagrams for the vintage mowers snowblowers and tiller somewhere in the shop. it shoud either be in 6 inch thick binder or microfiche cards. Tough part is getting the person helping you motivated enough to spend 5 minutes locating the book lost on a shelf or 10 minutes going though a microfiche index then to your model. The info is out there and once they find the parts break down they can sit back on their padded stool and type in gilson numbers on their computer to get the updated toro number and see if the items are discontinued or in production. Older people who run dealers hate to throw away any new old stock or manuals in fear they will use it some day, while younger people could fill a dumpster in 2 minutes with perfectly good working items just because it looks old and not made in china. I have needed stuff in the past for items not on a dealers computer such as gilson and vintage briggs engines and when you get the brush off line "i dont have way to look it up but the part is probably dscontinued anyway" you need to get after them to go though the trouble of using books or microfiche. I feel thats what customer service should be about.

o

the engine # on my 1580 f is 130202 0135-07 75020607.

I am looking for a parts diagram for the pulleys any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

o

I have an owners manual with a parts list for a GIL-1580-G tiller. I also have the Briggs manual for this model. If you would like a copy I can send you one for a small fee to cover postage and copying costs.

Woody

o

Thank you for all the follow-up responces. I greatly appreciate them. I have been having extreme problems getting into the forum to post back to you all. I'm very sorry.
I did purchase the Clymer publication and it has a well detailed diagram of the pulleys and how to put the reverse belt on, so Bian, it would help you out. If I had a scanner, I would email the diagram to you. I purchased the book at Amazon used.
Woodybusboy ~ I tried to email you through the posting you sent (I couldn't get into the forum). I don't know if you'll get the email or not. If you don't, let me know how much it wil run to get copies of the manuals and we can do smething through PayPal or by mail. Let me know what you prefer and how much. Thanks so much...

o

Hello, I to have a Wards tiller Model GIL 1580H made by Gilson Mfg. with a B&S 5hp engine Model 130202 Type 0135 07 Code 79022606. I'm looking for a pulley/belt diagram for installing the 2 belts. I bought the new belts, which are Gates#6835(1/2"x35" front belt) and a Gates 6737(3/8"x37 rear belt)I believe the rear belt needs a twist put ino it for it to fit properly but not sure. I'll pay for any postage/copying fees. Thanks for any help, Chuck

o

I work with a Ministry who has had a MW tiller (GIL 1580 1 (or maybe that last digit is "I")) donated to them. Are the 1580's the same? Are there major differences? I'm missing the front belt, and I noticed that a previous poster posted part numbers and belt sizes for a 1580 H, and I was wondering if the same belts would work on mine. Thank you.

o

Ny Gates book lists 1580's as A through K only.
Same belts for all.

o

Looking for owners manual for MW model GIL1580F rotary tiller

o

1580F manual
http://www.rustytiller.com/pdf/1580F.pdf

o

go to rustytiller.com technicl page tiller identifcation tiller manual down load may be this will help

o

I have a Montgomery Wards Rototiller model GIL 1565E. I'm looking for the pto/ clutch assembly. This is the arm w/ pulleys that mounts on the engine and the linkage. If anyone has the parts to sell, let me know.

o

OK...I've gone to www.rustytiller.com and found the owners guide for my MW 1580F rototiller. However, the B&S page does not return any manuals for the listed engine (130202-0135-07) and I need an engine part. Specifically, the rewind spring is not strong enough to rewind the pull cord against the shaft. Any ideas, different/similar engine numbers and/or rewind spring parts number?

Thanks,
Ebenezer

o

Briggs doesn't say so, but use 130202-0135-99 to get the IPL. Your spring is 294303 and should be $4 or $5.

I doubt if the spring is bad, and there is only one spring. You might want to get one or two more turns on the starter sheave to increase tension, but more likely you need to check for drag and binding, which is causing your rope to fail to retract properly.

Is the starter clutch in good condition? Does the rope rub on the housing? Is the sheave free to rotate without binding? Do you have too much rope? Did someone replace rope with larger diameter (thicker)?

o

Hello My father is looking for a worm wheel for a
model Gil 1570b part # 1004 can someone please help me
find this part my e-mail btakscruggs@yahoo.com

o

I have a white's ranger. It looks like a gilson parts are worn out in the gear case any idea where to get parts?

o

Woody, I would like to get a copy of the owners manual with a parts list for the GIL-1580-G tiller, and would be glad to pay for postage and copying. We have the same tiller, just no manual. Please let me now how to receive this copy. Thank you.

o

Briggs n stratton
model 92902
type 2067-01
code 80020505

o

I have both the Briggs 130202 part breakdown and the GIL 1580 owners manual in pdf. Just email me and I'll send you a copy.

o

Kenny_H,

Please send me a copy of B&S 130202 and the GIL 1580 manuals. I need them to work with my tiller. Thanks!

o
Email address

Kenny_H

My email address is

kctme@ureach.com

Thanks!

o

What type of spark plug does the 5 horse B&S require?

Any additional info will be welcomed

whatfour1@yahoo.com

o

If anyone has a repair manual for the Model Gil 1589A, or anything close, can you email it to me at whatfour1@yahoo.com .

If you have a repair manual for the engine, a 5 hp briggs and stratton Power Kraft that would be welcome also.

If you want some money for it let me know, I am trying to get this relic to go, and without the needed information it is real slow.

thanks

o

Go join Gilson yahoo groups dot com they small amount info there on tillers its gilson tractor group ask question there be best place Gilson was made for mongomeryward all Gil numbers mean Gilson.

o

HI,

I am seeking a diagram, photo, pdf file, for any gilson rototiller I have a 1575E I need help with the pulley system I bought this used and everything works fine except the pulleys? The rustytiller.com website sucks! I don't know if anyone else has had problems but it seems to be a add site with no use full information.

any help appreciated Thanks!

o

i need pats manuel for gil 1545b 5hp roto tiller

o

i have a front tines rotortiller that was bought at Montgomery Wards.
It does not have a belt to pull the tines, but looks more like some kind of a clutch. the forks going to the clutch has worn down alot, this does not let the clutch engage. Anyone know anything about this setup and where I can get parts for it?

o

I need a worm wheel (Part #1626) for a GIL-1576A
Rototiller. I have the owner's guide for this particular
model.

o

Same part is used in a 1558A 8hp tiller. Unfortunately this has been NLA for many years. Only chance is to find a similar junker as a donor.

o

The worm gear to my GIL 1580F is gone(worn out).
Does anybody have the manual, the part number, or a worm gear for this model? Will the worm gears interchange from 1580H to 1580F?

o

Same availability problem with 1004 Worm Wheel. NLA. Actually more common than the 1626 in earlier posting. However, only answer I know of is to find old donor machine. Lastly, will interchange across all 1580 sub models, and is also common to 1565, 1572, 1575, and 1589 tillers.

o

I have a White Ranger with bad gear teeth, it also is a 5 horse B&S. My questions are where on the tiller is the Gil model no? Is it stamped on the frame? Where can I find a repair manual? and a set of gears? thanks.

o

my lawn tractor pull around rototiller needs tines model#gil-33095A hole pattern 3/8" in dia 1 1/8 apart approx length 5 1/2"

o

I need the belt sizes for gilson model # 1575E...Please someone help me out.....Thanks, Jimmy

o

If someone can email me a pdf or something of the manual showing the part numbers for the belts for a GIl 1580-G and how they are routed i'd appreciate it. if someone has kenny_h's email please let me know so i can get the manual. thanks
tidus211@hotmail.com

o

Well, www.rustytiller.com has given up and gone away.

Unfortunately, they left before I got a copy of the manual for my Montgomery-Wards rototiller. It is a model 1580i (or 1) made by Gilson.

If anyone has a copy of the manual for a model 1580 from rustytiller.com (or anywhere else) please email it to me.

Thanks!

o

WOW, Double WOW-

I got an email with the manual attached today. Way cool!

If anyone else needs a copy I'll sure send it along.

Thanks Again!!

o

i'm a new owner of a gil 39012B wards tiller,in need of a owners manual,any help would be apreciated,thanks

o

Have toy checked the site below? I just saw it vs trying to download. Any specific questions that you might get help on while looking for a manual? I feel I have done some welding repairs on one or two. Loger
http://www.imarksweb.net/book/montgomery+ward+tiller+gil+1570b/

o

@dropdeadzoom

Kind of hard to help when you don't post an email address.

See the guys above you.

o

my e-mail address is nathan_shields@yahoo.com

o

Kenny_H

Do you still have the manual PDF for montgomery wards tiller gil 1580-g? If so, could you send it along to:

daniel.newham7@gmail.com

Many thanks! My first tiller project and I'm 95% done but can't figure out the throttle assembly under/behind the gas tank.

Very best -
Daniel

o

I have a Montgomery Ward tiller Model GIL 1565 G that I am needing information on. The seals are leaking were the tine are. If anyone have part number for these seals or even a owner manual would be a great help. I have look for a pdf of the manual so I can get part number but can not find it. Thanks for any help you can give me. If you have a pdf of the manual you can send it to dewaynep@windstream.net

o

Please post some pics or links to the Wards tiller (lazy me and little search time) and I might be able to help with some B&S specs vs gearboxes (I have old gen small engine manuals from the 70s). I had a Wards tiller in the 70s with a hor shaft, B&S and cast iron gearbox/body that was very tuff and good. I also found the same version gearbox with a ver shaft on a curb. The owned said it runs but I d/n find it as friendly as the hor shaft and put it back on the curb. We h/n needed a tiller since the mid 90s and I have too much STUFF. loger

o

I have a Mongomery Wards Rototiller GIL 1580 F all heck has happened to my 30 year old never break tiller.(Tilled the garden as I always have for the last 10 years, when everything broke. All belts are damaged, gasket between carb and tank is leaking, the diff is leaking oil everywhere.) I need all kinds of parts and a manual cannot find anywhere. I love this tiller and need to save it. Any help would be great Thanks.

o

I too have an old Gilson Tiller and in need of a diagram that shows how the pulley system works. It is a GIL 1575C model. My Dad, God rest his soul, gave it to me years ago after he had disassembled it. He didn't have a manual and I would appreciate it if anyone could email me a copy that I could use to get part numbers and the layout of pulley system.

o

I have a 1500A Montgomery Ward Front tine tiller.Does anyone have any info on this or a parts diagram??

o

Lee1575,

Can't help you with a manual if you don't enable the "Send my an Email" feature on your Member's Page.

o

ggoyeneche, Sorry about the email address. I went and changed the option for it.

Thanks

o

• Posted by acdc none (My Page) on
    Wed, May 30, 12 at 20:11

I see some other people have been successful in finding a manual for a Gilson Model 1580G Tiller. I was hoping someone could also email me a copy of this manual as well. I was just given one today that hasn't been used in over 10 years but it was well taken care of and it still seems to run good. I'd like to tune it up a bit and have no idea how much oil and such to put back in it.

o

HELLO WOODY, I WOULD A COPY OF THE MANUAL AND PARTS LIST FOR THE GIL-1580-G MACHINE,HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO COPY AND SEND TO UTICA NEW YORK,13502,PLEASE REPLY BACK THANKS.

o

HELLO, WOODY, I WOULD LIKE A COPY OF THE MANUAL AND PARTS LIST FOR THE GIL-1580-G MACHINE,HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO COPY AND SEND TO UTICA NEW YORK,13502,PLEASE E-MAIL ME BACK AT mikey135@verizon.net,please reply back thanks.

o

I could really use a pdf copy of the manual for a GIL 1580 G Tiller, The rear belt is missing and I need to figure out the routing of the belt. Thank You in advance for any help!
bigfish80031@hotmail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here