Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendreamhome

Total newbie to trimmers/edgers is very confused

greendreamhome
9 years ago

I've never used a trimmer or edger. I need an electric cordless trimmer and/or edger, and I can't seem to find any information about what some of the parts are and how they're used.

What's the difference between a "bump feed" and a "continuous feed"?

Does anyone make a "plug and play" model, or am I looking at assembling something that I've never used and don't know how it's supposed to work? (As you know, assembly instructions are usually awful and you usually have to rely on experience to figure out how the product is actually supposed to go together.)

As far as I can tell, stringless trimmers are all corded. Is that really the case?

This post was edited by GreenDreamhome on Tue, May 13, 14 at 1:05

Comments (4)

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

Visit a local Small Lawn Equipment Dealer, Local Home Depot/Lowes or a good neighbor for some live Demos and Answers. It All can be fairly simple if you are ready for the challenge.

Good Luck!

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

Just a comment make sure your new trimmer is big enough for the job. Electric trimmer are good for small yards where you can reach every thing with 100' of drop cord, or the life of the battery (If battery powered) If it is too big or too small for the job you will not be happy.

If your yard is larger you may wish to considered a gas powered trimmer.

Most trimmer I have seen come reassembled so that should not be a problem.

Make sure you use a support system, belt, over the shoulder strap, etc. to put the weight of the trimmer on your body not your arms.

It is fun so go have a good time.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    9 years ago

Welcome Newbie, Trimmers and Edgers are two different animals. "String trimmers" are used to cut grass in places that you can't get to with a mower. "Edgers" are used to cut into the dirt beside your sidewalk or driveway. A string trimmer, is usually used with the string rotating parallel with the ground, it can be rotated ninety degrees and cut along the edge of a sidewalk, etc.

"Bump feed vs continuous feed" refers to how the "string" comes off the storage spool on a string trimmer. Whichever flavor you end up with, you'll end up fussing with the string. Nature of the beast.

I AM NOT a fan of battery operated lawn tools. Depending on how big your property is, get a "corded" trimmer and an extension cord. They're cheaper, last longer, and generally just work. I just ordered a corded trimmer even though I have a gas powered unit which eats everything in sight, unfortunately, I keep bees and they don't care for the noise. :-) Battery operated ones are heavier, replacement batteries are very expensive, and, depending on which one you end up with may be underpowered.

Agree with previous comments, visit a HD, Lowes, etc. and ask questions and look at things. Also, depending on the size of your property, a gas powered unit may be the only option. If you go with gas powered, do a search here on ethanol and learn what you have to do to keep a small engine happy with the "mystery gas" we now have to deal with.

You might also visit youtube and search string trimmers, etc. Folks post everything there, might answer some of your questions and give you a different perspective on what you think you want.

Enjoy the ride and good luck,

Ev

• greendreamhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I have to use electric because for health reasons I can't operate a gas-powered machine. We're on an acre, so I would need at least a 200' extension cord! (I know because I know how far my 100' hose goes.) I've seen a Green Machine that is supposed to be as powerful as a gas unit. Any personal experiences with any cordless or corded electric units would be appreciated. Talking to people at the big box stores won't help me, because they only know what they sell (and sometimes not even that) and there are many makes and models sold online.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions