Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ancient ryobi string trimmer

Posted by bilmo 9 (bilmo2008@gmail.com) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 1:58

it's a 130r, corded electric. I posted recently about converting it to a single line instead of dual line trimmer. got a lot of good responses. many people prefer single line apparently. but I can't get MINE to work. is it because of the spool itself? I wonder if there is such a thing as an after market single line spool that will work on this dinosaur. anyone else have ancient yard tools that still work? well, sort of? the motor is fine. I bought a new spring, and a new bump head. but the old spool refuses to be used as single line. thanks for any tips!!............Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ancient ryobi string trimmer

1. Did you double check the direction you added the line on the spool?

2. Did you test to see if the bumping was releasing by pulling the line (by hand) as you bump to see if a bump would release line? It might be time for some WD-40 here or there.

o

thanks loger! for question 1: yes, amazingly, I did have it going the right way. I am not being sarcastic, but I had to get a small magnifier (with my glasses still on) and get right up under the bench light. but yes, it was the right way. number2: no, I could not get it to work manually either. when you say here or there, can I assume that everywhere would ok too? anything that looks like it may move? what about the single string idea? should I abandon that? it's supposed to be a dual line machine

o

hey loger, how's it going? I tried everything and nothing works. so I must be doing something wrong. so......maybe I'll take my chances on a new one. have no idea what to buy. any suggestions? thanks!

Bill

o

would something like this work with an old machine like a ryobi 130r?

http://www.amazon.com/Tanaka-32308-Brainer-Straight-Trimmers

This post was edited by bilmo on Wed, May 8, 13 at 21:35

o

sorry. maybe this will work

Here is a link that might be useful: no brainer spool for string trimmer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here