Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lostvalleyfarm

Advice on buying a gas pole tree trimmer

alanis
13 years ago

Any suggestions on what to buy? Renting would cost too much, as we have a lot of trees to prune!!

Can't do a lot of searches online, I have limited bandwidth in the country and videos are out of the question!

Thanks

Comments (12)

• yungman
    13 years ago

Get the true pole saw from Echo. Echo have the longest pole. Don't get those PAS multi tool stuff. They are not as long. Get the longest one you can. Anything short would be just as easy to use manuel pole saw to cut.

• CaptTurbo
    13 years ago

I know you don't want to do much searching but I found a great unit on ebay from a vendor there. It has a 37cc engine, auto oiler for the 12" Oregon bar/chain. I'm sure it is Chinese but it runs like a top. Actually I used it today on a couple trees in my yard. I just dumped some fresh fuel mix in it and it cranked up and ran great after sitting (empty) for six months. I drained the fuel and ran it dry after my last use. I have an extension length that came with it which I can put on it for high reach but today I didn't need to use the extra extender.

If you can manage a little search time it could get you a nice pole saw for a lot less then the Echo. I wanted an Echo or a Stihl but I just couldn't justify the cost since I only need the thing a few times a year. The one I got from ebay is a way better pole saw then I was expecting and I couldn't be more pleased.

• canguy
    13 years ago

How many trees? IMHO you are wasting hard earned money with the cheap versions. They do not stand up to much use, especially the electrics. How often do you prune, once or twice a year? Renting a quality unit vs buying a light duty throw away might make more sense for a small area. Invest in a good one such as Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna, Shindaiwa for large jobs, it will pay off.

• CaptTurbo
    13 years ago

youngman, I went out and looked at the pole saw. It says Maxtra on it for the name. It is seven feet long without the extension installed. The extension adds about another four feet. I usually use it without the extension but have used it with it at full reach. The powerhead on it reminds me of the one on my Echo SRM-2601 trimmer. The choke and purge bulb are in the same place.

This thing has plenty of power and has been reliable for the couple years I've owned it. I can't remember how much I paid for it but think I might have paid as much as 175.00 including the shipping. For me it was a good buy though I do not argue with those that say you should only buy the higher priced and quality tools.

I feel this thing will serve me well for a long time. The engine runs very well. Starts and idles perfectly and the auto oiler is adjustable but I have left it set at default because the chain stays nice and wet. I have not had to sharpen the chain yet but I am careful not to force the cut. I let it "fall" through at it's own pace.

Some time in this fall I am going to give this thing a real challenge because I'm going to be topping a couple large seagrape trees. I have a large solar power system and these trees are giving me some early morning shade until about 9:15 am and that simply wont do! LOL

If I have any problems with the saw I will update you all here on the forum.

My pole saw, Echo CS-370, and my faithful Troy-Bilt Super Tomahawk are going to be having a tree eating party! Oh doG, how I love my toys!

• yungman
    13 years ago

I can't find on ebay. This is the only one I found but it is only 7 ft.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Gas-Long-Reach-Pole-33cc-Chainsaw-Chain-Saw-/250619157518?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item3a5a10dc0e

The Poulen Pro is $199 and is 12 feet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/183332-Poulan-Pro-PP446ET-17-31cc-Gas-Pole-Saw-Trimmer-/180353361084?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item29fde5e4bc

To Canguy

I know what you mean about not buying cheap stuff. I usually are pretty fancy about my equipment. But the problem is I only use the saw once a year. It is very hard to justify buying the Echo for over $500. I am seriously considering the electric one. They should be very reliable, just inconvient with the power cord.

• CaptTurbo
    13 years ago

youngman, I did an ebay search too and found what you did. The one I bought is not listed now. It is not as long as you wanted anyway but I like it very much and feel lucky to have found it when I did.

I also feel that a good electric one would have been good for me since I now have a huge solar power system (I didn't have that when I bought my pole saw) that produces much more electricity then my home uses.

I'm considering electric (battery) lawn mowers now but have decided to not hurry because they are getting better with time and my Toro still runs OK. The same with electric cars. It would be cool to plug in and drive for free but I think I will let them improve them for a while and then buy one.

• yungman
    13 years ago

You lucky!!!

I checked, actually my Shindaiwa has a 9' pole attachment that give me 12' total, the problem is it is one piece, not like what you have that have extension so you can make it shorter if needed. Does not help it is over $200 for that also.

I am a little worry about the electric one because the motor is with the saw that make the top very heavy and I aftaid it is going to be hard to control when I extend it in full length.

• CaptTurbo
    13 years ago

I'm sure that you are right about the extra weight way out on the end of the pole. I usually use my saw without the extension except when I really have to reach high. It is much easier to handle the saw without the extension in length. To add the motor weight up where the saw bar is would make it a bear.

I wonder if they could make one with the electric motor on the end where the powerhead is on the gas ones? That would make a good counter weight and make the tool less awkward to use.

• CaptTurbo
    8 years ago

Hi yungman. I know it has been a long time but I wanted to share that I bought a SunJoe electric pole saw mostly because it was cheap but also because my gas pole saw has some dirt in the carb and I didn't feel like messing with it at the moment. The Sunjoe isn't bad. The pole is very solid with very little flexing. It does get heavy after a while but they all do. My gas saw has a 12" blade where the electric one only has an 8" bar but I didn't notice that to be a problem. I like how it starts by squeezing thee trigger! lol!!!

• krnuttle
    8 years ago

There have been some comment about electric saw. I have a Poulan Electric that I bought about 20 years ago. I use it once or twice a year. It has limitations if you are going to go out in the woods and trim trees, but for around the house, it is perfect. No plugs, mixing of gas, etc. plug it in cut the wood and put it back in the shed. It also is going to be lighter than a gas saw, which is a big thing when you place it on a long stick.

I also am one who believes in cheap for infrequently used items. Why should I tie up multiple times the dollars for an item that will be used once or twice per year even though it may take a little more time. I would rather put my money into those items I uses frequently. That way I can a wider selection of tools than if I demanded the best for every tool I used.

• Nancy Brown
    6 years ago

Blue Max Gasoline pole saw
    is best for you. The engine started on the first pull. I put it to some tough
    work immediately after assembly cutting some tree branches along my horse
    pasture hanging over the fence where I was having trouble brush hogging. I did
    have some difficulty getting the shafts inserted properly. It would be helpful
    to have some marks on the shafts to indicate when they are inserted to the
    proper point. It is pretty heavy and with the extension it's not for someone
    that's relatively weak. The harness helps. I found that I gripped with the hand
    toward the saw end out beyond the handle. I'm 24 years old, however, and can
    handle it OK.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions