Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krnuttle

Chipper Shredder

krnuttle
10 years ago

We have a three quarters acre partially wooded lot. We have a lot of shrubbery, roses, azaleas, camellias, etc

I would like to get a chipper shredder to clean up the yard waste. I believe the absolute minimum would be one that could handle 2" branches but 3" preferred.

I would like the unit to be able to be pull behind my tractor, but I believe they all could be rigged with a tongue.

I would like it to be compact so it would take up minimal floor space in its natural configuration, or storage configuration.

Obvious I would like a 4 cycle engine that started easy and low maintenance.

Are there any recommendations.

Comments (14)

• baymee
    10 years ago

If you mean 3" branches thru the side port, I would recommend the McKissick model. Mine doesn't even cough when I push a branch at full speed.

• zen_man
    10 years ago

I agree with baymee about the MacKissic. I think you would be pleased with the MacKissic 12PT100. An electric start option is available, but I have no trouble starting mine with a pull rope. The MacKissic 12P models have a centrifugal clutch, so that when you pull the rope you are only turning the engine over, and not moving the heavy chipper-shredder rotor. The centrifugal clutch engages only when the engine builds up RPM.

I have the older MacKissic 12PT9 model, which is very similar, but has only a 9HP engine. I have had it and used it for many years. It was superseded by the 12PT10 series with 10HP, and MacKissic has now upped the HP to 11 in the current models.

{{gwi:304704}}

I have replaced the rear wheels on mine to give me a bit more space under the machine. Their slightly wider stance may make it a bit more stable, and the wider tires make it a bit easier to pull by hand over surfaces that aren't hard.

ZM

• chas045
    10 years ago

I also have a 12PT9. However, I am wondering if it would be a little much for knuttle's needs. Yes he said he would prefer three inch chipping, and that reasonably calls for the McKissic, but the yard description "a lot of shrubbery, roses, azaleas, camellias, etc" suggests a smaller unit. He also asked for a small footprint for storage. The tongue on the McKissic does turn around under the wheels but it is still large.

• bryansong
    10 years ago

I have an Earthquake chipper shredder. It would be nice to have a McKissic but this model has worked well for me. You can get tow bar. This doesn't take up too much floor space either. Sorry, this isn't a very good picture but you could a search, You Tube it of something like that.

• bryansong
    10 years ago

Tow bar image

• zen_man
    10 years ago

Hi Chas,

"I also have a 12PT9. However, I am wondering if it would be a little much for knuttle's needs."

Perhaps the MacKissic SC800 would fill the bill. It has a small footprint for storage.

ZM

• chas045
    10 years ago

Yes ZM, that probably fills the bill. I couldn't remember the name of that unit and was too lazy to dig it up. It is still pricy but it is a great compromise for size and price if the 12pt was considered the high end.

• lakesider_2007
    10 years ago

In past seasons, I stored my McKissic in my shed and bring it out each time I was going to use it; returning when finished. It has gotten to the point (physically) that I would like to just leave it outside, covered securely. Anyone have any opinions or is anyone already doing thing and can give me some advice. Thanks, Ron.

• zen_man
    10 years ago

Hi, Ron,

I bought my MacKissic when we lived in Maine, and that property was rolling and highly wooded, so I purchased the optional fabric cover for my machine, and left it parked down a slope at a convenient worksite. The fabric cover did a good job of protecting my 12PT9 and even in freezing weather it would usually start on the second pull. (I did go to 10w30 oil for the Winter).

The disadvantage of that was that I didn't watch the air in the tires, and they all got low before I noticed what was happening. When we moved from Maine to Kansas I was unable to inflate two of the tires, and substituted tires from a wagon we had been using. The bigger tires actually turned out to be an improvement, but if you do decide to leave your MacKissic parked outside, don't forget to air the tires periodically. (I used a bicycle cable and lock to secure mine to a nearby tree.) It's flat here in Kansas, so I keep mine in the garage now.

ZM

• krnuttle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all of your suggestions. With this information I have a better idea of what I need.

It probably will not be as large as the MacKissic 12PT100. but it looks like a nice unit.

How about the reliability of the Earthquake. Has anyone had one for a number of years?

• lakesider_2007
    10 years ago

Thanks Zenman, I have the cover and the place to set up. Like you, I also had problems with tires going down, picked up some new tubes - seemed to handle the problem. I really like those larger tires, and if I see some around I want to go that route, I am on a pretty steep slope and stability is a major factor. Ron

• zen_man
    10 years ago

Hi, Ron,

"I also had problems with tires going down, picked up some new tubes - seemed to handle the problem."

The problem I had was that the tires that came on my MacKissic were tubeless. When a tubeless tire goes really flat, it loses the seal with the rim and becomes very difficult to re-air. I keep a close watch on my two remaining tubeless tires to make sure they aren't going down.

ZM

• lakesider_2007
    10 years ago

ZM, I had picked up the tubes at a AgSupply Store for use on some other equipment. I was surprised to find the McK with tubes...made the task easier. Found a great U-Tube video on removing/reinstalling tires on those little rims, wow!

• zen_man
    10 years ago

Hi, Ron,

Hmm. You got me to thinking. Maybe those two tires I couldn't re-air actually had tubes, but the tubes were completely shot.

In any case, I like the larger tires and wheels that I replaced them with. With them, my MacKissic stands a little higher off the ground in the rear, which gives more room to clean out the chips from underneath the machine. I have accumulated a large brush pile to process later this Fall.

ZM