Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas/Oil mix for 2 stroke trimmer

Posted by ariyodude (My Page) on
Tue, May 16, 06 at 9:03

I recently acquired the TB 65ss Troy Bilt trimmer and I am having a hard time getting the mix right. Is there a fool proof way of getting the mix right without guessing. In the manual it says use a ratio of 40:1 mix, but that does not tell me how much gas to use. Any help will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas/Oil mix for 2 stroke trimmer

1 gallon fuel to 3.2 ounces 2-stroke oil. I like Echo Powerblend myself, but any is better than none.

o

Unless you go through a lot of fuel, I recommend buying the little "single serving" containers of oil. They are the right amount for 1 gallon of gas. Buy a 1 gallon gas can and you are set to go. Echo, Stihl and others sell it this way - usually with a fuel preservative in there as well. It definately keeps things simple.

Jim

o

I picked one of these up, since I have 4 or 5 different mixtures I need for various machines. I especially like the fact that it has designations for making only 1 pint or 1 quart of gas/oil mix- I seldom use a gallon at a time.

Here is a link that might be useful: MixMizer

o

Jess, where did you buy your MixMizer?

-Deerslayer

o

Wal-mart stores sells the MixMizer (at least in Madison, AL).

o

The ratios can be a little tedious to get right but really are not that bad. Since the oil comes in ounces, it works best to convert how much gas you have to ounces (or as best you can).

1 pint = 16 ounces
2 pints = 1 quart = 32 ounces
4 quarts = 8 pints = 1 gallon = 128 ounces
1 gallon = 128 ounces (160 Imperial)

Whatever ratio you need, divde your gas ounces by that to determine how many ounces of oil you need.

E.g. 40:1 for 1 gallon = 128/40 = 3.2 ounces (the amount in the single serve bottles)

That same 3.2 ounce bottle will mix an imperial (160 ounce) gallon to 50:1 (160/3.2 = 50).

If you are unsure how much fuel you have, err on the conservative side. If you estimate you have 1/2 gallon (64 oz.) and mix at 40:1 you will need 64/40 = 1.6 oz. If you actually have 3/4 gallon (96 oz.) your ratio will be 96/1.6 = 60:1. That is a little light on oil for most people. I don't think most would underestimate that much. A more realistic error would be 80 oz. That would give you 80/1.6 = 50:1. There are some who run their engines at this ratio. However, I think generally they are using synthetic when they do this. Going the other way and actually having 50 oz would give you 50/1.6 = ~31:1. These are reasonable variations and should not cause major issues with your engine for the small quantities. There are many discussions about what ratios to run. There are many good experiences at all ratios, 32:1, 40:1, 50:1. Good maintenance, gas, oil and stabilizer will help keep your engine running well.

In the end, figuring the ratio is not too difficult. Dedicating a measuring cup seems to be where most have difficulty, including me :). You may already know this info but hopefully someone will find this useful!

o

adkinsca, thanks for the information re: MixMizer.

-Deerslayer

o

The absolute best way to deal with differant Mixes for outdoor power equipment I have found is this.

Buy the single serving for 1 gallon of gas for the piece of equipment you use. Now use colored tape. Run a band of tape around the single serve and a band around the equipment it is for. Run another around a NEW 1 gal gas can.
Always Use 1 Gallon Cans for Mixed Fuel.
(you can use a sharpie to add words to tape if you desire)

Example:
Chain saw............................50:1 Yellow tape
String Trimmer...................... 40:1 Green Tape
Other equip (tiller etc).............32:1 Red Tape

Now you can purchase 2 cycle oil by the gallon and save money.
Also.........always start with fresh gas every season.
At the end of the season pour your remaining fuel into your truck ( the little bit of oil wont hurt a thing)

Gas cans are Cheap and having a new gas can for your new piece of equipment that is specifically FOR that piece of equipment will eliminate any potential mistakes.

NEVER USE A 1 Gallon Can For Straight Gas!!! I Repeat....
NEVER USE A 1 Gallon Can For Straight Gas!!!

Use 2 or 5 Gal only.By doing this you will never ever make the mistake of running your equipment without oil and siezing it up.

Never use stabilizers in your fuel for small 2 & 4 stroke engines.

By doing all of the above even if someone were to make a mistake and grab the wrong 1 gallon can you will not hurt your engine.50:1 in a 32:1 engine is a bit lean but running a tankful through will do no permanent damage.
You will not get through a tankful of straight gas before siezing a High RPM 2 cycle motor.
OK 1 more time

NEVER USE A 1 Gallon Can For Straight Gas!!!

OK .....do you think you can remember that?? :o)

o

My, but you people do like to complicate matters. I keep 2 gas cans in the garage. One 5 gallon with regular gas for the 4 strokes, and one 1 gallon with 32:1 mix for all my 2 strokes. Been doing it that way for 15+ years with NO problems.

o

32:1 for all 2 cycles will work, but you may foul plugs alot on some pieces of equipment.......the lower the RPM the more apt this is to happen. Now fouling a plug is no big deal, but its very unlikely to happen if you use the proper mix. Theres also clogging your exhaust ports which might eventually cause a problem that will cost far more than a plug
For those of us who may be 20 miles from a store to get a new plug, its not the plug cost but the 9.00 in gas and the time lost running for it.

If it works for you with your equipment, great.
But reccomending a mix other than that called for by the manufacturer probobly isnt a good idea since it could cause problems with equipment you do not or have not owned.

Out of curiosity, have you ever opened up the engine on a 5 year old engine that called for 50:1 and you burned 32:1??

I have and you might be surprised...........depending on the engine of course :o)

o

"Buy the single serving for 1 gallon of gas for the piece of equipment you use. Now use colored tape. Run a band of tape around the single serve and a band around the equipment it is for. Run another around a NEW 1 gal gas can.
Always Use 1 Gallon Cans for Mixed Fuel.
(you can use a sharpie to add words to tape if you desire)

Why cant I just use one 2 gallon fuel can and add one 6.4 oz bottle of Stihl two cycle oil, which gives me a 40:1 ratio and use it in everything from the trimmers, chain saw to LawnBoys and be done with it the way I have for the past 20 years?

Dont have to mess with sticky gasoline soaked tape and carry three different fuel cans with me to go mow, trim and cut a bush all at one location.

o

Hippy, you can do anything you want.
If its worked for you for 20 years and you still own the same equipment, keep at it!!
Of course if you are on your 5th mower 8 th weed whip and 5th trimmer.......( or 3rd chainsaw )
Maybe its time to rethink your perfect mix.

Unless of course, you are smarter than the manufacturers who build them? The techs that work on them?

If you have gas soaked tape, you really need to quit sniffing the stuff man!!!

o

I buy my 2 cycle oil in a large bottle. I picked up a 3-oz empty medicine bottle at a drug store. It has measurement markings on the side. Once you determine the amount of oil per gallon you need, the measuring medicine bottle works great. After use, I just screw the cap back on to keep it clean. Charles Ranheim

o

Tgtearemup
Your argument is a little stupid.

Why does Husqvarna reccomend a 50:1 ratio for fuel/oil and to use Husqvarna two stroke oil. Then along comes AMSOIL telling people that it is ok to run a mixture of 100:1 in anything that has a two cycle engine.

And then use their oil filter that have a 12,500 mile service life ""making oil changes virtually unnecessary and virtually eliminating engine wear" (their claim not mine) when Chevrolet says change the oil and filter every three thousand miles.

Do you think that my LawnBoy engines are missing that 0.8 oz of oil per gallon? Do you think that 0.64 oz of extra oil is going to kill my chain saw or trimmer engine?

The spark plugs will tell you everything that you need to know about how your two cycle engines are running. Learn to read what they are telling you and tune your engines to get the correct readings and you will have no problems with any of them.

o

I am not going to argue with a logic which compares regular oil to Amzoils synthetic substitutes.

You run your Husky 2 cycle equipment at 100:1 with regular husky 2 cycle oil and you will sieze them period!!
Check your plug afterwards and ask it where you went wrong!!

o

Why not?
Husqvarna's two cycle oil happens to be synthetic.

o

Running three different oil mixes is completely and utterly asinine.

o

Information for consumption.
Honda/Yamaha/Husqvarna/KTM/Suzuki/Kawasaki
They all produced extremely high output 2-stroke racing engines in their off-road motorcycles, and these engines were put in some of the most grueling conditions you could imagine.
Virtually ALL of them recommended 20:1 or 24:1 mix ratios.
What the actual FACTORY mechanics did at racing events was very telling. Their teams (admittedly not running "stock" engines) but were running engines putting out even MORE power for the displacement class followed the same rules.
1) The higher the RPM's the engine turned the more oil they ran in the fuel. (e.g. a 125cc machine that routinely lived in the 10,000 - 13,500rpm range ran 20:1 or 24:1 -- The 250cc engines that ran between 6,500 and 9,000rpm ran 32:1 or 40:1, and the Open Class machines (251cc and up by AMA but they were all 400+cc engines, usually 465's, 490's, or 500cc) ran 50:1 or in some instances if the temps were cool and the loads light on the engine they ventured into the 70:1 range.)
(2) Additionally Husqvarna did some testing in the mid 70's that was also very interesting.
They put 3 identical stock engines on a dyno and ran them for several days at varying RPM and load conditions. Then both motors were torn down and inspected.
The engine running CASTOR based oil had the least wear, followed by the synthetic oil, and finally the engine running standard 2-cycle oil.
(3) A second test they performed was to run synthetic in 2 identical engines and one was run at 24:1, the other was run at 50:1
The engine that ran 24:1 had less piston skirt wear, and less rod bearing wear, but had the same main roller bearing wear as the engine run at 50:1.
I personally ran my 125cc race bikes on synthetic Yamalube-R at 24:1 or ran Bel-Ray MC1 at 24:1 even though Bel-Ray claimed it was a 50:1 oil. The 250's I ran 32:1, and the brutal 500cc machine ran 50:1. The plug reading will tell you a lot. The insulator should be light tan in color. If it is white you are too lean, dark, black, or oily, and you are too rich. Changing the oil/gas ratio DOES affect the jetting settings so changing ratios will likely require carb adjustment. If you are fouling plugs then you have the fuel/air mixture incorrect for the gas/oil mix you are using. Manufacturers intentionally make the low rpm pilot jet on the rich side (so they start easier) and excessive idling will foul the plug. I am not sure if there is a low speed adjustment on the carb you have, but if you constantly foul plugs you may want to lean that out a bit, again the plug condition will tell you.

o

Tgtearemup:
Please explain the reason for your comment "Never use stabilizers in your fuel for small 2 & 4 stroke engines". This forum deals mainly with smell engines. The discussion of stabilizers has come up many times. It appears the majority of people recommend using them. I have used Stabil for many years in both 2 and 4 cycle engines without any problems. Some have said they don't feel it is necessary, therefore do not use it. Have you ever seen any stabilizer product cause a problem with small engines? Thanks for your input. Charles Ranheim

o

hippy mind your manners. have you been sniffing your mixture again?

o

I agree with Woodsrunner -- 32:1 for everything. 50:1 makes the EPA happy, not your engine. Tgtearemup, I've pulled apart a lot of engines running oil mixtures as high as 16:1, and I've yet to see one where problems with carbon buildup or plug fouling would motivate me to use less oil.

By the way, that's a great suggestion about setting aside one can size for mixed gas!

o

I mix it 40:1 in one 1-gal container w/Stabil for everything, and no problems in some years. Sounds like everyone has their own little routine. Go for it.

o

I have a Lawnboy, so my 1994 Sears trimmer gets run at 32:1 as well.

I just replaced the plug last year after running it 11 years at a "rich" mixture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here