Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mannibr

Compressor and Nail Gun Help

mannibr
17 years ago

I am looking to purchase a compressor and nail gun to use to build a fence. I am using 1" pickets and can't figure out what type of nail gun I'll need and what size compressor I'll need. Also what accessories will I need other than a hose?

I have seen compressors that require oil and others that don't, any thoughts on these?

I have been searching EBAY and in addition to used compressors and guns there are quite a few brand new, no name brands, has anyone heard anything about these?

Price is my main determinant for these items but I also want to make sure that they will work well.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Comments (7)

• earthworm
    17 years ago

I hold that every man should own a compressor, the more powerful, the better.This is a lifetime investment as are all the necessary tools..
    Much debate, of course,on how much power, and the source..
    How far is the fence from a power source ? What are the future needs ?
    I for one am leery of the "bargains" on eBay. Good used compressors are very hard to find.
    The oil-less type of compressor may be OK for very light, restricted use.

• airbearma
    17 years ago

If the only reason for purchasing the compressor is for the nail gun, why don't you consider a Paslode nail gun. It runs on butane and doesn't need a compressor.

• tkendr01
    17 years ago

The size of 1" pickets suggests a more decorative fence than a security and containment idea. These pickets are likely to be a bit thinner than 4" or 6" fence pickets.
    I would recommend either a narrow-guage (1/4") or standard-guage (1/2") stapler to fasten the pickets to the rails. The rails could be screwed to the posts rather than using a framing nailer to connect them.
    Most compressors for pneumatic nailer/stapler use are in the $240 range. I recommend an oil-lubricated compressor rather than an oilless.

• mannibr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the feedback, but I don't think I was clear enough. The pickets that I will be using are 1" thick and 6" wide. Would an 18 gauge 2" brad nail be sufficient to nail these pickets?

• machiem
    17 years ago

You need some type of head to keep the "pickets" in place. A staple or a full size nail (with head) is best. The brad and finish nails don't have heads big enough to do the job.

If you do use a small nail like that, one thump on the fence and out pops the "pickets" because the nail pulled through the wood.

• Ubique
    17 years ago

If you are going to do the one job only, why not rent ? A brad nailer will NOT suffice for a fencing job and, if the wood you are using is cedar then use galvanized or stainless steel nails. Beware the "oiless compressor" they are strictly a light duty , short life span item.

• tkendr01
    17 years ago

OK, 6" pickets it is. You will need either a 1-3/4 or 1-7/8 nail so that when you attach the picket to the face of a 2x4, the point of the nail will not protrude on the back side of the 2x4 when the nail is countersunk. Otherwise, you got a heap of grinding to remove all the protruding points.
    The coil nailer that you want to rent is called either a siding nailer or a fencing nailer. My recommendation is the Hitachi NV65AH Siding Coil Nailer, bounce-fire trigger.
    For the fence framing, get any name-brand framing nailer and load it with 3" galvanized ringshank framing nails. Those posts will vibrate too much if you nail onto them with a hammer.
    Get 100' of air hose and the compressor of your choice.