Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwinch_gw

Troy-Bilt Tller Identification

kwinch
16 years ago

Hi All,

First time here. Looks like a great website. I bought an old Troy-Bilt tiller recently. I was wondering if anyone can help with model identification. MTD is no help. They said the older ones didn't have model numbers per se. I think it is a Horse. I do have a serial number. It had a Tucumseh engine but I couldn't find any specs on it. It blew up and now I'm looking at putting a new engine on it. I put a 5 hp I/C I had sitting around and it seemed to pull it OK. I have to use that engine elsewhere so I'm leaning towards a 6.5 hp I/C a local dealer has for $229. They also have a Contractor Tools 6.5 hp on sale for $169 but I don't know anything about them.

Can anybody help on how to identify the model or year?

Comments (42)

• rej2
    16 years ago

Join the troy bilt tiller club on yahoo groups. There is a file section on home page, click on it, it identifies by serial # up to year 1983. Or you could post number here and I'll look it up for you. If it's, really ancient I may have trouble, numbers should be on right side up top on flat spot on transmission case. My 1985 Troy is a Horse III with PTO. Owner of group says he'll eventually update file to include later serial#'s. I can only tell year of manufacture. REJ2

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

"They also have a Contractor Tools 6.5 hp on sale for $169 but I don't know anything about them."

Is that a Chinese engine?

• kwinch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't looked closely at that Contractor's Tool engine. I haven't found anything on them on the web. I think I'll get the I/C.
    The serial number of my tiller is 203204. If you can provide any info that would be great. I'll also look at joining that Yahoo club.
    Thanks

• rej2
    16 years ago

Kwinch, your tiller was manufactured in the first half of 1976. I would guess yours to be a two speed Model II Horse. I believe the two speed models used two belts instead of one. Does yours have two belts? Mine has two sets of pulleys but uses only one belt. Moving the belt from one set to the next changes speeds on mine. Low and High. REJ2.

• leannesutton38
    15 years ago

i am trying to identify my old troy bilt roto tiller and am recieving no help from mtd products as they said it is older than when they took over the rights to the product
    I have numbers from the top of my tiller they are as follows
    Model H30-3536R Serial 5329B if any one could help me to identify this machine it would be greatly appreciated as i am trying to find the manuals that i would need to have for it such as parts and owners manual thank you so very much with this help

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

Model H30-3536R Serial 5329B
    Sounds like Tecumseh engine numbers, not tiller numbers.

• art5910
    15 years ago

My Troy Bilt 6 HP Horse two speed tiller, originally came with a Tecumseh engine, has the serial number and date of manufature stamped on the top of the transmission. Look carefully for that information on your tiller.

MTD is incorrect when they say Troy didn't have models ... they did. You could get a 8 HP Horse, a 6 HP Horse or a 4 or 5 HP Pony ... etc.

Everything I ever bought from the real Troy Bilt had a model number. Having that information when you called Troy was inconsequental, however. They knew who their customers were and what they owned, when they bought it, whether it was new or used, who they got it from and what parts they bought for it. What a company! Murray and MTD don't hold a candle to Troy Bilt ... on the other hand, Troy Bilt is gone. Shame on them for publishing a quarterly free news paper and tracking (knowing) their customers so very well. I miss them still today.

I still have my Horse tiller and my Lawn and garden tractor. I relinquished my chipper/shredder to my son in law.

• amigatec
    15 years ago

H30-3536R sounds like 3hp Tecumseh to me, this may be a TroyBilt Jr.

• ektovar_2010
    13 years ago

I also have a older Troybilt tiller that I am trying to date.
    Serial numbers are 49251 3.
    Model # TH 1003 1
    Also has Garden way TN 1019 stamped on it

Any help would be appreciated

This thing keeps kicking out of low and into high speed. I can't keep up with it

Thanks

Wade

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

build about november 1980 . tighten nut at pivot on low high level its friction may need take apart clean 3/4 end wrench will fit nut. You have 4 speed sigle belt movable to other pulley grove change speeds. TH numbers are part numbers for housing. tighting nut should keep in gear. If have to much neutral in low high lever be shoes on shifing forks in transmiission. Join yahoo troybilt site if still have problem post there will have good help.

• antiqhunt_aol_com
    13 years ago

Just bought a vintage Horse tiller at an auction; S/N 508869. Has what's left of an HH60 Tecumseh on it; plan on replacing that. I can read the "Horse" decal on the lower left of the tine shroud, but the decal where the model number would be has faded totally. This has the "shift?" lever on the right side; I'm assuming this is the high/low speed lever? Would like to know if this is a Horse I or II.

All help appreciated!

Tom

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

12/80 when made model 1 its four speed 2 speeds in that lever to right. Other 2 speeds by moving single belt to other grooves uses single belt with different size grooves.

To save money on engine replacement look at Harbor Freight. Greyhound engine its 6 1/2 horse power few days ago cost was 129.00 on new engine.

• phhoner_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi, please help me I.D my tiller.
    rear tiller
    It is big ,red 8HP Koehler
    serial# 827776
    looks like two shift bars, one for speed slow neutral and fast
    the other bar is the big one for forward and reverse.
    Don't know how to run this thing,need a manual,but have to I.d it to find one.
    Guessing 20 to 25 years old. Thanks for your help

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

5/86 month year made in 1982 tiller's made as PTO model you find all info on mtd site when searching on mtd site just use model 1 serial number 1 it allow troybilt manual and parts books to be down loaded. Join yahoo troybilt group dot com make that into link to search no spaces. It take many hours to read load what find there. You have very find tiller. Bill Rogers on group at yahoo he dealer for troybilt there 800 number on site so contact him in normal work hours.

• horton-miller_comcast_net
    13 years ago

HI There, I have an old Gardenway tiller, Serial # 604277. Also has TH 1008 stamped on it. Engine is 7hp Kohler. Anyone know how old this baby is? Thanks in advance.

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

First half 1982 when built.

the TH 1008 means that casting number has no use to owner of troy bilt tiller.

• beachbound2_centurytel_net
    12 years ago

Can anyone help me identify the year of my tiller? Full serial number is as follows; 120560310644. The 12056 is also the model number. This is located on the Gardenway decal. It is a horse tiller with a seven horsepower Briggs Engine. Thank you

• gator_rider2
    12 years ago

Jay I don't have list thats new your tractor its 1993 are newer.

• fishbass
    12 years ago

Hello I'm new here could anyone tell me when this engine was made model # H30-35387S serial # 90900 Thanks for your help

• gator_rider2
    12 years ago

I don't no year but if need parts model number works. Link give you parts from sears.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 hp on sears

• kevinsailer
    11 years ago

I got an old Troy Bilt tiller, but no manual for it. The engine is a Tecumseh. The stamped serial number on the right side of the transmission is 26 48 8 6. I would like to find out the year and horse power of this tiller, and if there is a repair manual, or PDF file for this tiller I can access. Thanks

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

There is a lot of info listed earlier in this thread. If you are talking about an old Troy Bilt horse, it is most likely a 6 or 7 hp. I think the engine will have HH 60 or HH 70 on it which is 6 or 7 hp. Mine is a 1981 with a hh 70 Tecumseh, which is a 7 hp. non PTO unit. It appears to be original (except 110 volt starter) and still does a good job.

I think you will find all the info you need in this thread.
    Good luck with your tiller.

Larry

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    11 years ago

Perhaps literature for your model can be found in the below link . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: TroyBilt Tiller manuals

• Tophersk2
    11 years ago

I am trying to find out what year my Tiller is. Just got it and want to take care of it..it has lasted this long and I don't want it to die on my watch. I have read through the post and not found what I think is a model # for my Troy-bilt tiller. I'm sure some of this info is no good but its all the number I found. on the Tecumseh engine HH60-105079D serial 1071D, Handle base GARDEN WAY TH-1019 H, top of trans case 1003 W. any help would be greatly appreciated.

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    11 years ago

Garden Way serial numbers for tillers from 1962 - 1983, can be identified through the PDF link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Troy-Bilt 1962-1983

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    11 years ago

Garden Way serial numbers for tillers from 1962 - 1992, can be identified through the PDF link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Troy-Bilt 1962 - 1992

• Tophersk2
    11 years ago

Archdiver, Thanks, I was unable to find any numbers that looked familiar on the links provided. I did take another look after reading some posts and found a number under the lip of the transmission case Right Side. Was a tough read with the wheel on. I believe it was TH 1001 and looked like an R inside an octagon(thats the part that was a very tough read)

• wshyne
    8 years ago

I just purchased a nice Troy-Bilt Junior tiller but cant figure out its age. Can anyone help please? Model 15006 and serial 150060316292. Thanks

• gstor_rider1
    8 years ago

You need check MTD site with that number newer built junior model.

• vanmeerv
    8 years ago

look above the trans ,right side, should be stamped in.

• ruffinorfc13
    8 years ago

I have a 1976 troy bolt horse tiller with a teeumsen motor ...334337 just wondering what it's worth? Thank

• debdoctor
    8 years ago

I have an old TroyBilt tiller, serial number 746361. I was wondering if you have any idea how old it is?

• Carl Belken
    8 years ago

Debdoctor I suggest you join the troy bilt tiller club on Yahoo groups. Another way to get a good idea of how much it's worth is to check ebay. There are usually a few older troy bilts up for auction or buy it now.

• murray blair
    6 years ago

I just acquired a troybilt tiller with these #'s, 2109ct & 315-g. Please help identify...

• HU-115182654
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

16818 idetifyidetify

• Marvin Hulford
    3 years ago

I have a troy bilt tiller serial number 570089. Can anyone give me more info?

• HU-597812406
    3 years ago

I have TB Tiller. Numbers on the top of transmission are 1003-1.

Left side of transmission are Th-1001 and then a -5- and finally a 350-Z

Engine Numbers are HH60-105091F SER # 5318D

This tiller has two belts on the pulley's.

Engine has electric start.

thank you

• HU-657301796
    3 years ago

Hello everyone. I’m a proud owner of a TroyBilt Horse III with PTO. A few weeks ago I tried to remove tire and everything I tried did not work. Someone gave me advice on trying to bang it off using hammer. unfortunately it didn’t wilork and I ended up damaging the transmission housing. I

waited a long time to find this machine and I don’t want to part with it. A new housing is over $600.00 at MTD. Does anyone know where I can find a used one? Greatly appreciate any help

• James Despres
    3 years ago

Hi everyone. I have a horse tiller with only the serial number of 354046. Can someone help me Identify the year and model number. It has the old tecumseh hh60 engine on it. it also has the guard rails around the engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

• ccecilm
    3 years ago

The serial number run for 1978 was from 314152 to 368621.

• HU-726924210
    last year

troy bilt horse tiller sel #879738 can not look up parts ?