Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A pleasant experience burning what I feel is Ash.

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 10:18

We are having a pleasant experience burning what I feel is Ash. A friend felt it was Oak (planning to use it BBQing) and wanted help splitting it. I traded him Pecan and Mesquite for what I feel is Ash. Just as dense as White Oak, burns just as good with good coals (maybe slower burning). To me the bark (attached) is not Oak, nor the smell of the wood burning.

The Central unit’s AC w/n come on two days ago (until I let it though from frost) and no problem due to the cold front coming through North, TX. This morning the heat w/n come on the 2nd time it should have due to the blower not coming on after the burner. The Tech was already scheduled for today but the fireplace is doing a good job in this mid 40 degree weather. The Tech and I feel it will be a weak Starting Capacitor since blowing is the issue “at times”. The Ash if it’s Ash is holding good.

Yesterday, I got at least A Half City Cord Of Ash the street over for helping cut the wind blown tree (half showing). The last load is still in the truck as I rest. LOL! The 12" Electric McCullough cut it easier than Oak IMO. I have a closer pic it will help you toward helping me ID the wood. Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A pleasant experience burning what I feel is Ash.

White ash. I cut 5 cords of that last winter. Yes, good burning.

Oaks have a distinctive smell when cutting, a smell that I don't care for. But ash has a much better smell, closer to poplar, which smells somewhat like vanilla. And ash is fairly easy to split, although you have a few knots in that pile.

For smoking ribs, I prefer apple. But cherry is good too. We don't have pecan or mesquite in NJ. Never tried those.

o

Yes that's ash, burns great

o

Thanks for the replies! The Ash is becoming plentiful in our old neighborhood (started about 1958). The trees have gotten large and dangerous due to rotted forks (from holding water. Two of three 18-24” dia limbs have blown off the 36”+ dia tree during the last two fronts. I have reported some to the City when the limbs extend over the street and can go at any time. With the documented picture and address The City usually gets on it quick (cutting it back past the street’s easement). My point is that I’m not the first to see the danger (from the home owners to many City Employees traveling by daily).

I have had good apple flavored meats here from Restaurants. Most Homeowners and BBQ Businesses go with our strong supply of Mesquite, Pecan, Hickory for flavors and Live Oak, Black Jack Oak, for heat (vs Red Oak and Post Oak's bitter flavor). All woods are seasoned a year, except some know how to use a small piece of green Hickory (“the last 30-45” minutes of the smoking).

o

A typical example of deteriorating Ash trees in our old neighborhood. There are still two large sections of Ash on the street over. There is a section off the large section that you can not see probably as long. I was too tired to take more and I feel my racks will be filled from what I have. My Body Said Enough!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here