Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibuzzard

Vintage Wheeled Garden Waterer

ibuzzard
10 years ago

I made an 1100 mi. roundtrip from my home in the Santa Cruz Mtns., to Bend Oregon to pick up an unusual tool I purchased. Wish I could post up the photos, but a description will be all I can manage. Ten hours up Friday, ten hours back on Saturday.

It has a wheelbarrow-style , tubular metal frame, with a steel wheel, but in place of the "barrow", there is a large galvanized bucket with a hand operated pump. The galvanized bucket hold in the neighborhood of 20-25 gallons, and it functions well. It is not a home built item, as the cast iron pieces and bucket/ pump assembly are specific purposed items.

We have a large, intensive organic raised bed garden, and our primary in- season form of adding extra nutrients is fish emulsion, mixing it up two gallons at a time in our Haws watering cans, a time consuming process. We believe in using low-tech solutions, appropriate technology so to speak, and this will save us a great deal of time.

Have any of you seen one of these before? I am guessing it to be from the 50's if not earlier. Can you provide photos? The P.O. bought it at the annual auction put on by Small Farmers Journal in Madras Oregon, but did not use it much. It will see much use in our garden for fish emulsion, and applying compost tea, worm casting tea, etc. .I would love to see other examples of these, and get a bit of info on it, like manufacturer, time frame, etc. There had been a label on it before it was re-painted, I am told.Thanks, Steve.

Comments (7)