Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Start aTroy Built with a battery?

Posted by jim_w_ny Zone 5a (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 11:14

If so what do you need besides a battery? And cables? And I suppose heavy duty to manage the current? How many amps?

Maybe it won't work but it is such a pain to start garden equipment by pulling a cord. Especially when you are 83!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Start aTroy Built with a battery?

I can't help you with starting it from a battery, but...

Troy Bilt makes several models with an electric start option available at Lowe's in our area. The model we bought was $174 with a curved head. You need to buy the start mechanism separate for $34.95. They also have another option for $9.95. It's an Allen Wrench with a drill bit on the other end. You do need a high speed drill to start it. My husband is older too & has had shoulder surgery. This he can do & it was a hit right off. It also started easily by pulling the cord. It's a 4 cycle.

Our Craftsman attachments (brush cutter, etc.) fit it, so that's a real bonus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Troy Bilt Weed Eater

o
I should have added

They also have a straight shaft weed eater & several optional attachments, if you're talking about weed eaters. :)

o

Reading about starting mechanisms for a car I see my idea of using a battery is simple minded. Starting an engine is very complex. So forget that. I thought I had found a use for my old battery!

o

That spring loaded starting system will drive ya nuts when the machine gets a year on it.
Check on the ones that have their own battery electric motor system. I found one by Black and decker. Seems ok.Don't know how long the charge will last, as my son took it home!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here