Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_nwnj

First oil change - what a mess

tom_nwnj
11 years ago

Hi - I have a small Troybuilt Press Washer bought last year at Lowes. Works OK. Has a Briggs vertical 175cc engine. The drain plug is underneath, a 3/8" square drive female fitting. That's OK, seen that already on my log splitter. Problem is the Pressure Washer engine is so darn low the to ground, AND it has a solvent tank underneath too, right near the drain plug. So I went to take the oil out, and it runs all over the solvent tank. What a mess. Tried to clean the dirty oil off, but can't reach it all. As mentioned I have seen this design on my log splitter, but that thing never comes in the garage. Stays in the tractor shed, on the dirt. Drip all you want out there. But this pressure washer can't stay outside in the winter (always holds some water), stays in the garage/basement. So now I have to watch that it doesn't drip dirty oil in the house. Question is, can I fit some kind of a stem with a flex hose on that will drain the oil cleanly. Or do the Briggs engineers have this terrible setup for a reason.

On the other hand, I also recently purchased a Generac generator (a twin cylinder, I think about 950cc). The engine oil drain has a flex hose about a foot long with a valve on it, . Just point the rubber hose at your oil drain pan, then open the valve. No muss, no fuss.

So what is it with these guys at Briggs? Is this as good as it gets with their stuff?

Comments (3)