Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catfish_mo

Husqvarna or Stihl?

catfish_mo
18 years ago

I am looking for a new chainsaw. I would appreciate opinions on the Husqvarna or Stihl saws. My place has been overtaken with Black Locust thorn trees, which are a very hard wood. I have a Poulan 260, but have pretty well shucked it out. I don't mean to start a firestorm over this. Sorry if this has been covered before.

Thanks

Comments (58)

• annie4
    18 years ago

Interesting discusion.. I'm not as stong as some of you younger studs, and I would like to get a little smaller saw maybe 30 to 45cc that is easy to start and well balanced. Something that won't wear me out getting it to the woods and then starting it. I looked at Husqvarna 142 & 345 verse the Stihl MS210. Can't decide,, Any comments would be appreciated.

• luke2
    18 years ago

annie4 - Dolmar 401. Magnesium case saw. Always runs and very light.

As far as Husky vs. Stihl,,, its hard to overlook the prefiltering of air on the Husky's.

• davefr
    18 years ago

Annie,
    I agree with Luke. The Dolmar 401 (same as Makita DCS401) is a wonderful small saw. I've had Husky 141, Stihl 021, Stihl MS180, and the 401. The 401 wins hands down but the Stihl MS180 is also pretty nice.

• canguy
    18 years ago

I had a chat with the Power Source Canada (Briggs) rep yesterday as they are now the Dolmar distributor. He says they are getting a lot of interest and have some dealers established. I was impressed with the saws in the 80's but have not seen them since so will be interesting to see what they have to offer.

• maineman
    18 years ago

Annie4,

"I would like to get a little smaller saw, maybe 30 to 45cc, that is easy to start and well balanced."

If you are concerned about easy starting, consider the Stihl MS 210 C with the Easy2Start system. Also, the optional ElastoStart starter handle, Lightweight 14" guide bar, and Narrow kerf bar and chain could all make it easier to handle.

MM

• Vaninwisc
    18 years ago

I asked my Stihl dealer about the Stihl MS210C with the Easy2Start, and he strongly advised against the easy start. He said he has had a lot of complaints, and some saws returned. I could still get the MS210.
    I wish I had a Dolmar/Makita dealer so I could look at the 401, but I don't think I have a dealer close.

I think I'll to choose between the Stihl MS210 ($230)and the Husqvarna 142 ($200) or 345($260). The price will not affect my decision. I'm going to wait until the weather breaks before I buy, so if you have any comments or suggestions, please send them. Thanks

• canguy
    17 years ago

The Stihl's up to and including the MS390 available in North America are all made in Virginia Beach. The rest are imported.
    The pros here only run Stihl or Husky and the brand loyalty is fierce.
    FWIW, the Poulan built Husky's are the 100 series.The 300, 400, and 500 series are Swedish built but not all are designed for pro use.

• bbriggs
    17 years ago

My MS200 is made in Germany, perhaps that's why it's so pricey. A great saw for limbing.

• bert
    17 years ago

Weird isn't it, my MS200 is from Germany whereas my MS260 is from the States. Both are from Stihl's "Pro Line" and thats where the priceyness comes in.

• skier_hughes
    15 years ago

I'd never buy another Stihl anything again after the way I've been treated.

Very Briefly.

Bought a chainsaw in 2005.
    Used it sparingly for domestic use cutting a few branches for my log fires.
    It broke.
    Wouldn't oil the chain.

Was told by service agents that a bearing had broken and this had hit the casing, cracking it, causing oil to flow out and not into lubricating the chain.
    Cost as much to replace casing as buy new one.

I phoned Stihl, they said two year gurantee on home use, so they spoke to agents.

Agents told them I'd used engine oil in my oil tank - I hadn't.
    Agents told them the saw had been used with the brake on and this had caused the case to melt - they told me above. Bear in mind they'd already charged me nearly £80 for replacing bearing and clutch parts.

Stihl eventually picked up saw for checking.

3 months later and they still haven't told me what's wrong with it.

I even had an email 11 days ago saying that it had come back from the workshop and I'd have another email in the next day or two.........

I've sent emails requiesting an update they just get ignored.

I've been without my saw for over 6 months now.

I emailed the MD, he deleted my mail without even opening it.

Stihl customer service? What customer service. I'd recommend anyone to steer well clear of any Sthil product in the UK, if not and you get treated like me you'll wish you'd taken my advice.

I'm off to buy any other make of chainsaw, it's bound to last longer than my Stihl did and not cost me anywhere near as much.

Graham Hughes

• bonvi
    13 years ago

What is the best gas mixture ratio for this saw.I purchased it on yesterday and would like remove the smog device as well.I am aware that this could void the warranty.And finally how can I get longevity from this saw.I will be using it for cutting fire wood primarily.

• inkognito
    13 years ago

move to lalala land would be my guess.

• beefy
    13 years ago

I've had both husky and stihl chainsaws and great results with both. Started with a fifteen year old stihl 038 and loved it. replaced it with a new (in 2001 )husky model 359. nine years later the husky has finely wore out. that's about 20 cords of red fir and tamarack fire wood a year. currently using a stihl 361 with great results. the husky 359 and stihl 361 share the same displacement of 59 centimeters. but the stihl is about a half horse power bigger(3.9 vs 4.4)witch is noticeable. the husky feels lighter to me with less vibration but that doesn't bother me mutch. I expect longer life out of the stihl based on my experience but plan to rebuild the husky and keep it for a back up saw. think both brands are good but with anything proper care is important! get something good ,spend the extra money if needed and keep it that way!

• hal10820
    13 years ago

Don't buy a stihl. They are made cheap alike everything else. Bought a Farm Boss last year and the saw runs great once you get it started. Had an 021 for years. Too bad the new ones are not built as well. Before you buy, look under the housing. The throttle is cheap plastic, that easily pops out of place, when the cover is removed. Also, it is recommended that you use high octane gas.

Stick with a Husquvarna. There quality is better!

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Hal: Unfortunately You Purchased the worst Saw Stil has ever offered. It is a Low Quality Homeowner Saw ! Any Good Dealer would have steered you clear of it towards a MS-260 or 260 Pro both Pro Grade with Magnesium Case . As far as Husky , 346-XP is their top Selling current Saw comparable to the Stil MS-361 . Your right the New EPA Carbs Suck ! Every 260 and 361 have req'd Rejetting Same I hear with the Newer 362. Most of the Husky Boy's are doing Muffler Mods to achieve better breathing . Can't Beat the Dolmar , Solo or Efco or Echo Middle Weights either for the Pricing , just have to have a established , reliable dealer or saw experience for user servicing .

• masiman
    13 years ago

The 346 is more akin to the 260 than the 361/362. The Husky 357 is closer to the 361/2 with the 361/2 having slightly more displacement.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Mas: Your correct with Design Specifications I was alluding to Consumer Purchasing both 346 & 361 have been Top Sellers with both Manufacturers , at least North of the Border !

• lgpowertool
    13 years ago

On the topic of Husqvarna vs. Stihl equipment, I was wondering if anyone knew about their newer models... Husqvarna has this AutoTune technology, and Stihl has an M-Tronic tool. Does anyone know the differences between them? I think the electronic carburetor plays a major role... who manufactures these for Stihl and Husqvarna?

Thanks for the help.

• pgtr
    13 years ago

"I would appreciate opinions on the Husqvarna or Stihl saws."

I bought a Husqv 55 new about 6 or 7 years ago - utter rubbish. I'll never buy another Husqv again. Ever.

FWIW I'm the only one in my area who has something other than a Poulan and all my neighbors have more hours on older Poulans and nary a problem.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Pgtr: Actually if you look at the Cheapo Husky 230 and 240 series they are actually Poulans . The Rancher Homeowner 455 or 460 is a Good Saw around the 60 cc Class for Weekend Warriors. If you wish a better Pro Saw you have to go to the 357XP or 372XP Line up . As for Stihl I would not touch their Homeowner Saws , but their MS-362 or MS-390 are Top Quality , but a little more Pricey . If you read this Thread from beginning you will get a better feel for the Pro's and Con's of Both Manf. and other very good quality Saw from various other Manufacturers.

• pgtr
    13 years ago

ewalk:

"the Cheapo Husky 230 and 240 series they are actually Poulans."

I don't look at anything carrying the Husqvarna name and don't recommend anything regardless of OEM that carries that name. It was an expensive lesson - fool me once...

"The Rancher Homeowner 455 or 460 is a Good Saw around the 60 cc Class for Weekend Warriors. If you wish a better Pro Saw you have to go to the 357XP or 372XP Line up.:

Regrettably my Husqv was a 55 (essentially the Rancher model of that time). I've learned my lesson about 'stepping up' - I won't throw good money after bad - lesson learned.

"...and other very good quality Saw from various other Manufacturers."

Yep - I've read the thread from the top - offered my 2c based on many years of personal experience w/ my little example of Husqv rubbish (and watching w/ envy the many Poulans around here consistently perform). My advise is simple to the OP: Anything but a Husqv. :-)

• ewalk
    13 years ago

pgtr"on't know what Vintage Poulan you are speaking of ? If you are going back when Partner took over controlling interest of Pioneer there where a few Poulans that where actually Manufacturered by Partner / Pioneer that were very decent saws. Todays Poulan saws are toys in comparison. Cheap disposable units suitable for occasional firewood cutting of Birch and Poplar . I can't count the number of clutchs and bars and chains I have replaced on Poulans for customers who where bound and determined that their units could cut Canadian Maple and Oak with the Big Boys lol . I have been using saws for over 50 yrs and repairing same for close to 30. Most of the Consumer Saws of today are not going to achieve the life cycle of their predecessors for obvious reasons. But to answer your original question there is not a lot of difference within the Stihl and Husky Units it's pretty well a personal choice. I have found Stihl a little more pricy . Both Companys offer Great Pro Series Saws . As stated I prefer Huskys Homowner Series Saws over Stihls Line up for Carburation related issues. Actually if I where to advise of a particular Manf. it would be Efsco or Echo due to their Simplistic but proven design features and much better pricing advantage .

• pgtr
    13 years ago

"I can't count the number of clutchs and bars and chains I have replaced on Poulans for customers who where bound and determined that their units could cut Canadian Maple and Oak with the Big Boys lol."

It too have a similar counting problem. I've lost count how many times my Husqvarna rubish saw has failed me while my neighbors Poulans get the job done (red oak, live oak and hickory exclusively).

"But to answer your original question there is not a lot of difference within the Stihl and Husky Units it's pretty well a personal choice."

I didn't ask this question. You've confused me with someone else - perhaps the original poster? I already have had the misfortune of making a bad choice of owning a Husqvarna rubbish saw and can state factually that it is rubbish. If it's not a Husqvarna that alone makes any brand worth considering in my book.

Echo would sound like an excellent option for the obvious reason I've stated above.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Pgtr: "I would appreciate opinions on Husqvarna and Stihl Saws " Oct 24th Quote.

I think you did ask this question ! My reply There is not a lot of difference within Husky and Stihl units , it's pretty well a personal choice .

Note: If you don't like Husky Rubbish that's fine , take a pill . Echo is a great saw as is Dolmar and Efco , so whats your problem lol ?

• pgtr
    13 years ago

ewalk - in addition to supplying quotes - I added the orginator of the quote to help out a little...

ewalk thinks emphatically: "I think you did ask this question !"

Sorry ewalk but that's minus 2 points now... wrong again, twice now. ewalk, Re-read my post. Again. This time look very very very carefully and perhaps you'll note some quotation marks around the text you've twice attempted to attribute to me. If you take the time to read this thread carefully - perhaps you'll recognize the quoted text as that of the original poster to whom I was responding.

ewalk prescribes: "Note: If you don't like Husky Rubbish that's fine , take a pill ."

Given your perspective on the oh so popular Poulans et al - I wonder how many pills you take?

ewalk queries: "so whats your problem lol ?"

So let me get this straight... I'm just here sharing my personal experience with my pig of a Husqv rubbish saw with the original poster who specifically inquired about this brand. I've been on the gardenweb forums for something like 10 years and like to give back now and then. So actually YOUR question would seem to suggest that YOU, ewalk, have the problem with either me or my personal experience based opinion regarding my piece of rubbish Husqvarna saw.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

pgtr: Dude , I did not see your quote from the OP , I really was giving you more credit than to respond to a quote from May 20 of 2005. I assumed it was your Quotation.. sheesh ! As for my personal opinion of you ? Not very knowledgeable of Quality Chainsaws ! Sure you buy a Husky Homeowner Saw probably form a Box Store and for whatever reason slam the integrity of a Fine Saw Manufacturer . You State only Poulan are Quality Saws ? Perhaps back 20 + Yrs ago but not since. Get off your Husky Bashing Podium and Smell the Coffee Dude , todays Poulan are not even close to any other Major Saw Manufacturer within Quality or Reliability including Husqvarna . Take a Pill , yeah I think I had better , getting a headache from talking to the Wall . Seriously if you like your Poulan for weekend a yr cutting of cedar and Birch fine , but lets get serious you can't go on record and state that POULAN out cuts out lives HUSKY SAWS other than the HUSKY CLONE Units I have advised you of previously . Come on Bro were talking World Class Saws within the Husky Line up :)

• barbedwire
    13 years ago

This is funny stuff, pgtr is describing a saw most likely with a misadjusted carb, cracked fuel line, or dirty fuel filter.....it's obvious that this person knows nothing of two stroke engines and that the saw hasn't really been to an actual repair shop. His poorly maintained specimen is however enough evidence for him to badmouth an entire world class saw brand while extolling the virtues of the throw away saws manufactured by the same parent company as Husky.

You are portraying yourself as a crumudgeon pgtr.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

BW: I think you summed it up rather well Dude !

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Igp: The Auto Feature from Husky is basically a internal Micro Processor driven sensing system that automatically compensates for Temperature , Density changes to adjust the carburator fuel / air mixture accordingly. This system is reported to achieve optimum performance and improve fuel economy , while reducing emissions . Sorry I missed your post , My Bad...E.

• tmax-2010
    13 years ago

i have used poulan s for over twenty years and now, well i wouldn't give a nickel for one....i have purchased echo's to replace all four of my poulan s due to poulan s wont oil the chains.... i love the echo's cs 370 and my new cs450p both are awesome saws i haven't received my cs310 yet but have good confidence it will be awesome too. all i can say is if it works for you and you like it then use it!!!! i have friends that run a mill... they use husky and haven't had any issues at all.... my biggest problem with the husky is you are buying a homeowner version for same money as a pro series echo.... that is why i bought the echo's over husky...if not for that i would have bought the husky myself...stihl is just like john deere its overpriced name only crap...any other cheaper pro series saw excluding poulan's will be just as good....any good used saw is also better then a bad new one any day!!!!

• ewalk
    13 years ago

tmax: I like Your Style and Technical Knowledge of The Subject Matter ! I agree with your opinion of all Saw Manufacturers , especially the Stihl Homeowner Series. I have used and owned a few of their Pro Saws and they are fine saws but yes over priced. The Echo and if I may say Efco Units would be my personal choice for a Prosumer or (almost) Commercial Pro-Grade Saw. I most likely will purchase one at some point if God is Willing lol :)

• pgtr
    13 years ago

ewalk gets defensive:

"I really was giving you more credit than to respond to a quote from May 20 of 2005. I assumed it was your Quotation.. sheesh !"

So let mem get this straight... Someone starts this thread in 2005. Someone else revives it. I share my own fact based experience w/ one of the two brands referenced - and then not once but twice you misattribute their question to me and somehow it's my fault you didn't see my quotes? Sheesh indeed!
    ewalk opines:
    "As for my personal opinion of you ? Not very knowledgeable of Quality Chainsaws ! Sure you buy a Husky Homeowner Saw probably form a Box Store and for whatever reason slam the integrity of a Fine Saw Manufacturer ."

Gee. I have nothing to gain or lose by sharing my personal experiences with Husvq rubbish. Yet for the simple act of sharing my personal experience with Husqv rubbish you suggest I'm ignorant and guess at my source of purchase in perjorative terms. Indeed, you insist upon taking the information I've shared and in making posts directed at mem in very personal terms. Do you have a business relationship w/ Husqv? Why do you begrudge someone else's opinion of this product because it doesn't jive with yours?
    ewalk misquotes yet again:
    "You State only Poulan are Quality Saws ? "

I think we are establishing a pattern here - you again failed to read my posts and I'm not sure where you are getting the above from.
    ewalk says
    Perhaps back 20 + Yrs ago but not since. Get off your Husky Bashing Podium and Smell the Coffee Dude , todays Poulan are not even close to any other Major Saw Manufacturer within Quality or Reliability including Husqvarna .

I'm not quite sure why you are so worked up about about my experience w/ Husqv. I own a Husqv. I've had years of poor performance from it. In short it's rubbish. Unlike you, I've learned to accept the limitations of this piece of rubbish - just keep the starting fluid handy and have a strong well rusted arm, lots of patience and a friendly relationshiip w/ my nearbly family and neighbors (who own, ahem!, Poulans).
    ewalk rambles on:
    "Take a Pill , yeah I think I had better , getting a headache from talking to the Wall . Seriously if you like your Poulan for weekend a yr cutting of cedar and Birch fine , but lets get serious you can't go on record and state that POULAN out cuts out lives HUSKY SAWS other than the HUSKY CLONE Units I have advised you of previously ."

So just because my own opinions based on my experience doesn't square with yours - why do you keep insisting that I am the one that needs to chill? Afterall it doesn't bother me in the least that u hold this rubbish in high esteem and perhaps even have a business relationship with the mark for all I know.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

ptgr: Sorry Due Your Beyond a Pill ! Have 2 Pioneers , owned 4-Huskys 3-Stihl's 1-Mac-10 1-Jonsered 1-Echo 1-Solo in a 40 year Tree Cutting Period .
    So No allegiance to Husquarna sorry to again burst your bubble . Have ran numerous Poulan never owned one since they do not manufacturer a Prosumer or Professional Grade Saw , since 1980-84 .

• pgtr
    13 years ago

ewalk writes:
    "Your Beyond a Pill ! Have 2 Pioneers , owned 4-Huskys 3-Stihl's 1-Mac-10 1-Jonsered 1-Echo 1-Solo in a 40 year Tree Cutting Period .
    So No allegiance to Husquarna sorry to again burst your bubble ."

Question: So why do you have such ongoing constipation over my posting an opinion based on years of horrid experience with this pathetic Husqvarna piece of rubbish saw for other prospective buyers?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

ptgr: Oh I don't have any problem with you Bro , at least not really . I just find it hard to rationalize why you would shun or recommend other's shun a particular Manufacturer over a bad experience with one specific saw.
    Let me apologize , your probably an very nice person . I get a little cranky about certain things , so again my Bad . I agree that Husky has really cheapened their product line with the former 100 and now a few of the 400 Series Homeowner Saws. They were forced to regettably in my opinion from cheap offshore competition . However the Rancher Series has been quite a good saw from the Old Model 51 through to my latest addition the 460 . Sure only Prosumer at best but still a very competent saw. Can you answer me two questions . What current Model of Poulan do you now have in high respect . Also what specifically have you done to cure your Husky Hard Starting issues. Thanks and I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving Day ...E .

• pgtr
    13 years ago

ewalk struggles to rationalize: Oh I don't have any problem with you Bro , at least not really . I just find it hard to rationalize why you would shun or recommend other's shun a particular Manufacturer over a bad experience with one specific saw.

It's not "a" bad experience, it's over a decade of Husqvarna rubbish sputtering and stalling and rasping experience.

I'm curious as to what planet you live on because last time I checked literally every single website there is that tracks product ratings and every single internet forum that discusses products is nearly 100% based upon individual's experiences be they bad or good.

In fact ewalk - All I've seen you spew is your opinions. And full disclosure? You have not even disclosed the basis of your opinions. Do you have anything more than your opinion? And why do you continue to attack me for simply sharing my experience and opinion thereof? ewalk wroteI get a little cranky about certain things

Indeed. ewalk wrote I agree that Husky has really cheapened their product line with the former 100 and now a few of the 400 Series Homeowner Saws. They were forced to regettably in my opinion from cheap offshore competition . However the Rancher Series has been quite a good saw from the Old Model 51 through to my latest addition the 460 . Sure only Prosumer at best but still a very competent saw.

Don't know nothing about cheapened - all I know is that I spent a lot of money and My Husqvarna is still rubbish and pretty much always has been. ewalk asksWhat current Model of Poulan do you now have in high respect . Also what specifically have you done to cure your Husky Hard Starting issues. Thanks and I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving Day ...E .

As I thought I made clear before, If it ain't Husqvarna rubbish (regardless of brand) it's already a step up on my list and I'd consider it and that's what I share with others. So no particular brand and no particular model at this point. Having been burned once by spending what were big bucks (to me at least) on a then brand new Husqvarna piece of rubbish - I'll never spend that kind of money again on a chainsaw. I'll never buy (or recommend) a Husqvarna rubbish product again. Ever.

Only cure at this point is when it falls off it's last anemic leg it's currently on, will be wrapping a chain around the handle and converting this piece of rubbish Husqvarna to a boat ancher. No kidding. At last a job this piece of Husqvarna rubbish can handle! :)

• ewalk
    13 years ago

pgtr: So you have only owned a Husky Rancher 55 ? Paid less than $300.00 for that Vintage of Husky Model probably less. Thats not really much in comparison to my MS-260 or even a Cheapo Solo . But I agree that Money does not grow on trees and to some $250.00 + is not to be laughed at .
    You have not discussed what has been diagnosed for your Hard Starting Issues. I have repaired over a dozen various Huskys and twice as many Poulan for various Routine Maintenance Related Items. No biggy , discover the problem and correct it. Hard starting is either carburation or electrical or at times a little combination of both . As for disclosure it should be rather apparent that having worked on most of the current Saw Manufacturer's Past and Present I have sufficient working knowledge to base such reasoning. However you have stated just the opposite ,
    having not owned more than your apparent Rubbish Rancher . Again not bashing you , just find it hard to condemn Husky for your bad experience. I have had numerous Stihl Wood Boss Saws come in and they are REALLY RUBBISH Stihl Models . But I don't Blanket the entire Stihl Saw Manufacturer as Rubbish . I just do not recommend that particular model to customers or friends lol .

I doubt this will clarify anything further for you , but as I said before you have your opinion and apparently the majority of other Forum Members and I have a different one as this Thread would indicate . So Good Luck with your Boat Anchor , if the Shipping was not so Heavy for Rubbish I would probably take it off your Hands lol . Again don't take this stuff to personally there are a lot of Dudes out there who would have taken a lot more offense to Husky Bashing or any other Major Saw Manf. Lots of Loyalty within the Ranks !.

• mcguireclan4_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

come on guys, u guys are talking about pencil sharpeners. Both husky 395xp and the stihl660 are good quailty saws. I have been loggin 10 years. The stihls (pro line)are my pic the parts are cheaper, and the last a lot longer. The husky doesnt vibe your hands. So the dont fall asleep. but other than that stihls will last longer. They both preform about the same, and polans (lol) never seen anybody with that in the woods.

• berni_bellnet_ca
    12 years ago

I bought a Stihl 230 a month ago. Within the first hour the bar nose sprocket seized up. I fixed that and used it for another 2 hrs. and the nose sprocket seized again. I treid to remove the bar and one of the nuts would not come undone. The stud was unscrewing from the casing. When I threaded the stud back into the casing and put the nut back on the stud just stripped out of the casing. Seeing that this would likely be a recurring problem, I returned it to the dealer and asked for my money back. Apparently this is not possible. I will be picking it up today apparently with a new stud installed. If I had wanted a poor quality chainsaw I could have bought something much cheaper than a Stihl and had the same crappy quality.
    Berni

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Berni: What was the cause of the Sprocket Nose seizing up chain tension (overly tight) or lack of chain lubrication (oiler) ? As for the stud backing out usually I double nut the bar studs and use locktite while installing them . I have heard some horid stories over local dealers lately . Unfortunate that your have had these issues with a practically new saw . As I have siad before any saw is only as good as it's service dealer . Preservicing is paramount to a good saw breakin period .

• ladylake
    12 years ago

Cheap design on homeowner Stihl saws, bar studs shouldn't be screwed into plastic. Steve

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Actually Steve both Husky and Stihl have common engineering pitfalls within their Homeowner Class saws . You only get what you payfor unfortuantely with these manufacturers. Although I have not had any problems with the Older 100 Series Huskys . It seems the 235`s and 240 series units are the culprits recieving a lot of bad publicity . I wish more people would look at the Echo and Efco Saws prior to buying Box Store Products . For a little more $$ they would be getting Pro Grade units :) .

• ladylake
    12 years ago

Right, Husky and Stihl are cutting corners on quality on thier homeowner saws and getting worse every year. Saws like Echo, Efco, Dolmar are just plain built a lot better. Steve

• ewalk
    12 years ago

10-4 Steve !

• montesa_vr
    12 years ago

I think the Husqvarna 55 was notorious for cracked fuel lines. I got about three years of good service out of mine. One day while I was cutting up a huge fallen oak it started running lean, and by the time I took it to the dealer they told me the cylinder was scored and repair would equal the cost of a new saw. (Note to first-time saw users -- at the first sign of lean running stop!) I don't think it's probably fair to say that Husqvarna makes a bad product just because they had a run of bad fuel lines, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I replaced it with a Shindaiwa 488. I've had owned the Shindaiwa and about three times longer than the Husqvarna and I'm happy with it.

• Steven Jackson
    8 years ago

i suggest husqvarna.you can read reviews here :

http://chainsawguides.com/

• Steve White
    6 years ago

It is really a personal preference some like Husqvarna, some like Stihl. Some strange people even like other chainsaw brands. :?

Both Stihl and Husqvarna are top quality and have a range of chainsaw models to meet every conceivable need. Just check out all the different Husqvarna chainsaw models and the differences between them.

Personally I like Husqvarna chainsaws better. It seems that for a comparable model they are the same quality but cheaper. Each to their own I guess.

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Actually , currently Echo produces better product accross the board with much better pricing . Kinda like Chev equinox or Ford Focus and then Hyundai shows up ! lol. P.S. Never say never Bro !

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Actually your finally getting better at saw advice , however the Rancher 460 has much better torgue and performance for a few bucks more and provides a decompression and adjustible chain oiler feature but doubt you comprehend that technology. Ptgr , where are you when we need you ? lmao .