Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiller Maintenance

Posted by tvaughn TN (My Page) on
Sat, May 13, 06 at 13:04

My father in law gave me an old rear tine tiller that has been setting for 3 years. After cleaning it up and replacing the gas lines and belts it is running. I've never owned one so I was wondering what maintenance is usually required. It is a 5hp briggs 4 cycle engine and says it was manufactured for the CO-OP, but the serial numbers aren't legible. I'm going to change the oil and sparkplug today. What type of oil do I use? Any other recommendations.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiller Maintenance

The engine manual probably said 30 weight for summertime use. It probably specified the API Service Category like, for example, category SJ or SL oil.

For an extended usage including cooler spring and fall use, I use Mobile One 10W-30 synthetic oil in my tiller. If you wanted to use the tiller in the winter, which is unlikely, Mobile One 5W-30 synthetic is what I would use. That's not an issue here in Maine, because our soil is frozen as solid as concrete in the winter.

Check the oil before each use and if it begins to get dark, change the oil while the engine is still warm from that use, to get a good drainout. If you had the engine manual, it would tell you how many hours of engine use between oil changes. Better to err on the side of changing oil too frequently.

If you don't know the oil capacity of the engine, make sure it is level when you add the oil. I actually use a bubble level for that, because just a little tilt can make a significant difference. I know my engine's oil capacity, but if it isn't level when I add oil, some oil can run out of the fill hole before I get enough oil in.

MM

o
RE: Tiller Maintenance

For summer use, HD-30 from Castrol is what I use. I believe your engine holds 20 ounces. Change roughly every 20 hours of use, or yearly, whichever comes first. If there is a way to check the oil in the gearcase of the tiller, I would also do that. Make sure to check the oil level in the engine before every use. Also keep the air filter clean, and she should be good to go!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here