Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Hand Gardening Tools

Posted by mark_g z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 13:40

We're outfitting our home with some new tools, and it's been a while. We hate tools esp wheelbarrows that just fall apart after a season (or less) of use, or where we're working at odds with the tool b/c it doesn't stand up to the task.

There seem to be a lot of makers out there, distributed in big boxes, hardware outlets, etc. Our last cpl tool purchases from one of the big boxes left us really disappointed--junk!

We'd appreciate if you have recently had positive experience with any brand, to pls let us know. We need need to replace rakes (road-stone & leaf), coal shovel for stones, and a heavy-duty 2-wheel wheelbarrow.

Thanks a lot! --Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Hand Gardening Tools

If you are looking for durable hand tools like spading forks, rakes etc, I would lean toward Lee Valley Tools. Wheel barrows I would pursue through Erie Products but I live in Canada so I don't know if Erie has a U.S. outlet.
http://www.sinclairerie.com/PRODUCTS/contractor wb/CONTRACTOR WBS.html

o

Lee Valley, for the most part, does carry good quality tools, but may not have what you are looking for. For a better selection go to the Ben Meadows and Forestry Suppliers web sites. Be prepared to open your purse wide.

o

It does not look like Erie distributes to the US. I wish they did, because they look to be an awesome product.

I do like Lee Valley but their prices are way too high sometimes. They do offer many unique very good quality items. I recommend checking prices elsewhere. evdpgh is right about other suppliers. Ben Meadows is really good, although I have not ordered from them before. Forestry and arborist suppliers will have some very fine tools but they will cost. You may find yourself defining which tools really need to be pro quality and which ones can you spend less on. Corona in general makes very good quality things for less than pro versions.

Baileys has great customer service and good prices. Wesspur and Sherrill Tree are two other sites.

o

I have a Fiskars "Worlds best shovel" and love it. This shovel can't be broken without abuse. Of course, it's also physically heavy. Unfortunately, they're closing their factory in Sauk City WI and moving it to somewhere with cheaper labor.

Here are some tools offered by Joel at Earth Tools. They aren't quite what you requested, but they're very high quality tools.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long handled tools at Earth Tools

o

Like everything else, garden tool quality has gone right out the window and eaten-up by the bottom line - profit. (we can take another 3mm off the thickness of that shovel blade and make another 100 million dollars) Good quality tools are still available, albeit at a higher price, but taken care of, will last a lifetime.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Tool Company

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here