Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tanaka/Kawasaki gas trimmers

Posted by janedibber z5 ny (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 13:42

I'm looking at these two gas trimmers for work around the home.

Tanaka TCG-22EAS 21cc 7 yr res/2 yr comm warranty
Kawaski KTFR27A 26cc 5 yr res/90 day comm warranty

Both appear to be more of a pro-sumer type model. I like the larger engine on the Kaw, but the Tanaka has a stronger warranty...I'm leaning towards the Tanaka. Both can be purchased for a little under $200. Are these reliable "pro" brands compared to typical consumer models? Would the board recommend other models in this price range? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tanaka/Kawasaki gas trimmers

You're not really comparing apples to apples.

The Kawasaki KTFR27A is string only, and has a flexible shaft. You need to look at a KMS27A to get solid shaft and multi attachment capability. It runs about $40 more, but often sold as a special with two attachments.

That said, the Tanaka would appear to be better value as it is purpose built for attachments and has solid shaft.

I wouldn't worry about engine size. 22cc is sufficient for well designed engine. The cheap box store stuff has gone to larger engines to compensate for inferior designs (such as half crank, etc.)

Lastly, while much better than the cheap stuff. Neither of these really compare with a true professional machine in the $300 plus category. Should be OK for your application as long as your expectations are realistic.

o

thanks for the reply...much appreciated.

o

janedibber, somone mentioned that your kitchen in the fkb has slate counters? Do you like them? How have they held up? Any info you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Slate Kitchen Counter Thread

o

They both are good trimmers. As for Kawi, get the KGT27c. That is a true commercial trimmer. Look at on ebay new. They have good price there.

Flex shaft or solid shaft really depand on what you are going to use for. If you are just going to use it as a trimmer, they all good. My big Honda trimmer that is over $400 is flex shaft, it is a brush cutter come with saw blade. So unless you are going to put a tiller, sweep type of attachments, don't worry about it.

Tanaka is a good brand also. But I would go with the big Kawi. There are a lot of good comments on the Kawi KGT27c in the pro lawn forums, they really like it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here