Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitzysman

Stihl FS 55R

mitzysman
13 years ago

Hi Guys, I'm just a homeower and got the FS-55r from my local dealer. Had my previous trimmer which was a homelite St-175 for over 20 years (back when they made them decent)

Anyhow, I've been using the FS55 for a few weeks - cuts nice but seems to be a little heavy to me. I'm new to strait shaft and I guess I'm adjusting. I was looking at the Husqvarna 223L at Lowes and that thing seems a lot easier to handle.

Bought Stihl b/c of the name - it does run great, starts easy... just not loving the weight and balance. Is it worth trading up - I guess I didn't consider Husqvarna a good name until I did some checking. But it sure is a lot lighter.

Comments (10)

• bill7
    13 years ago

Hi,

I have a Stihl FS45 that I have had for about 5 years. I bought it when I lived in town. I now live in the country, and I have beat the thing for almost 3 years. Thistle, tall grass, even tried cattails. If I trim around everything in one shot, it takes me 45-60 minutes (plus all the extra stuff I use it for). It is a bit small (I should get a brush mower), but it has held up. I did buy a cutting head for the thing. Not saying anything about other brands, but I know I like mine. When I do kill this thing, I will buy another one.

On the weight: Do they have a harness for that model? I think mine came with one, but I do not use it.

Bill

• yungman
    13 years ago

That is the problem. A lot of people keep saying Stihl is better maybe because of marketing. Stihl have very aggressive marketing. I am not saying they are bad, but it is highly questionalbe that they are much better if even. There had been so many complains about even the Stihl commercial with their 4Mix engines dropping valves. They supposed to have fixed the problem already. But as you see, they are far from perfect.

Most of the big brand like Echo, Husqvarna, Kawasaki are all very good. Particular Echo have entry level true commercial equipments they sell in Home Depot and OSH. They are all TRUE COMMERCIAL quality for home owner price. If you want lighter weight, try also the Husqvarna 125L in Lowes and OSH for $199.

Kawasaki are top quality commercial equipments in $250 range. Get on to ebay and buy new. It is light also.

• bill7
    13 years ago

"They are all TRUE COMMERCIAL quality for home owner price."

At HD, Lowes??

• yungman
    13 years ago

Why are you surprise? There are so many people keep talking about dealers and dealers. YOu are taking a chance. If you have a good dealer, it is good, but if you have a bad dealer like I had, it'll save you a lot of nerve to buy from Lowes and HD. If compare to FS55, I'll take Echo and Husky any time of the day. As I said, even Stihl commercial 4Mix has been getting mixed reviews. To be honest, if I have to put my money, I'll bet on Echo, yes even the cheap SRM210.

Yes, ALL ECHO ARE TRUE COMMERCIAL, I have been on different forums reading how much people like the Echo SRM210 and HC151 trimmers that sell in HD and OSH for $219 and $279 resp.

The Husqvarna 125L also has been used by commercial people with good result.

Dealers might willing to service the equipment after 30 days, but there are many many occation they don't honor warranty and charge for repair. They do charge a lot, like over $120. For trimmer and blowers that is between $300 to $400, I'll take my chance with the cheaper one in box store. Or online sales if you can get it cheaper.

• metal
    13 years ago

I have the Stihl FS45 and love it. Like bill7, I use mine a little rougher then the usual residential owner, but it keeps on purring along. It doesn't have the 4mix engine, just a plain 2 cycle.

• mitzysman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

will the husky 223L really be that much lighter for me in the real use ? I don't really want to sell my Stihl fs55 unless it will make a good difference. I'm sure I'm past the return it time - i've had for almost 3 weeks now.

• yungman
    13 years ago

No, it is not going to make that much difference for you to sell the FS55 and go buy the 223L. People use 223 for commercial use and have good feedback. But for you, unless you can return it, just use it.

• bill7
    13 years ago

mitzysman,

If you like the way it trims, keep it. You can get a harness, I believe, that will make it more comfortable to opperate. Besides, you can look at it as a workout.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Stihl accessories

• yungman
    13 years ago

FS55 is quite light compare to most of the trimmers. Just get use to it. It is not a bad trimmer. I just don't believe the hype, but it is a solid trimmer.

• mitzysman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i guess your right - I'm making a big deal about 2 lbs - I'm sure I'll get used to it ;) thanks !