Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerncharm1_gw

AMF Western Tool Rototiller Questions

southerncharm1
15 years ago

I borrowed my Grandparents AMF rototiller, which hasn't been used in about 2 years. Everything but the engine is covered in what looks like oil - dirt mixed, I'm assuming whoever borrowed it in the last 2 years had left it like this, and that perturbs me.

How to I go about cleaning without causing it to rust?

I also need to get the old gas out of it. How do I do that?

I was told not to put straight gas into the tank, what is the proper mixture?

What are all the basics that need to be done?

I read through some of the other posts about the rototiller starting after putting some gas into the carb., we tried that and it started for about 5 secs and stopped.

I have searched the internet to no avail. with this brand. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We plan on tackling this little project this week to see if we can get it cleaned up and running. Here is what is listed on the rototiller= AMF Western Tool 1346-0200 I don't know if that is the make and model or not but that is currently all we can find amongst the grime.

Comments (6)

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

They were bought by Murray.

• Greg Goyeneche
    15 years ago

What engine do you have on it? If it's a Briggs, it will use straight gas and you must be sure you have oil in the engine sump.

To clean I would get a spray can of GUNK engine cleaner or Wal Marts generic equivalent. Spray the gunk on, then hose off with water. Make sure you don't spray directly behind the flywheel or you'll get the points wet (I'm assuming machine is earlier than 1985 and does not have electronic ignition). Leave in the sun to dry thoroughly.

Even so, you may find you've lost ignition, which means points got wet. Then you'll have to remove flywheel, clean and gap points to .020, and then reassemble.

To get the old gas out, I'd suck it out with a 99 cent turkey baster. Baster should pull 3 or 4 ounces, so you'll need 20 or 30 squirts to get all of it. For obvious reason, use turkey baster once and then toss it out.

Next step, assuming Briggs (and assuming 80000, 100000 or 130000 engine) is to remove carb and tank from engine; separate carb and tank; and then replace diaphragm (on side of carb) and clean both pick up tubes.

Once you follow these steps, and you have ignition, you should be good to go.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes it is a Briggs and Stratton and it is old. The model is 100902 type 0206. I found the manual and the parts list on their website after you brought that to my attention! (I'm excited now!)

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the oil drain plug off. Figured I might as well get the oil changed also, seeing how there's no telling how long it's been sitting in there.

Thanks so much for the helpful information. Hopefully we'll have it up and running as I'm itching to plant my garden. I'll update soon!

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

Most likely the carb diaphragm (Ref 394 on the IPL) has gotten old/brittle and won't pump the fuel up into the carb.
    It's about a $3 part at the dealer. ($2.05 on the Briggs site)
    Pay attention to any springs etc.
    Get a can of carb cleaner with the spray tube and force cleaner through the 2 holes under the diaphragm.
    One should vent into the carb venturi and the other should vent into/through the fuel pick up tube.
    It may be easier to remove the muffler for better access to the screw heads to prevent stripping. It was on my 13000 series.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, you guys are just awesome! I'm waiting for the diaphragm to come in now. Hopefully in a few days I'll be tilling!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just wanted to say thank you to Bill and Ggoyeneche, we got it running yesterday and tilled the garden! You both we are great help. Thanks so much!!! :)

Kathy