Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long Term GenSet storage

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 14:58

Hi Folks,

Looks like I'm getting a Generac 7KW, propane unit with transfer switch, etc. etc. Actually, the county Fire Dept. is providing it to power a radio repeater I let them install on a tower behind my barn. Evidently, the smallest they can get that is propane, auto start, etc. etc. is 7KW and their repeater is around 200W. I can use the excess capacity as I "donate" the electricity and now will "donate" the propane from my big tank.

My question is long term lay up or storage of a Generac 3750Watt unit. I won't be using it, but will keep it around.

Plan on siphoning most of the gas out of the tank then running it dry, change oil, probably take off the carb and give it a very thorough soak with carb cleaner. This genset has only had gas with stabil and seafoam in it. Pull the plug and squirt some oil in, turn it over for lubrication.

My question is should I do anything to the generator? I've heard that long term storage can affect a generator, but other than keeping it viable and running it every month or so don't know what else to do?

Thanks,

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long Term GenSet storage

• Posted by mla2ofus z4b Caribou Co. Id (My Page) on
    Sat, May 11, 13 at 23:27

Don't know about your's but some gennies will lose their field magnetism if they sit for long periods. If this happens just plug a reversible drill into it while the gen is running and turn the drill backward by hand.
Mike

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, May 13, 13 at 8:40

Thanks mla, would that be with the drill in "F" and turning backwards?

Thanks again,

Ev

o

I have heard of the losing field . My base model Coleman has sat for 5 yrs at a time. It generates fine. Is it a some do , some don't? Depending on a feature or design?

o

I believe that's correct. Google search to be sure. I've only flashed one gen by applying 12v to the fields. I didn't know about this at the time.
Mike

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, May 15, 13 at 18:57

Mike, Googled as you suggested and here's the result. Very interesting info.

Thanks for the idea.

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: Flashing Generator

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here