Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Synthetic OIl

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 15:01

Hi Folks,

OK, I've finally become a believer in synthetic oil and have been running it in my GT for a year and am happy. I'm now going to expand it's use and put it in a LT which is a '80's Briggs 280700 and my push mower which is a 92500, don't remember the vintage, but it's the one which I discovered had the wind up starter as an option, so it's an oldie.

There's a few other 4 cycles around that I'll also be converting to synthetic oil.

My question is, should I use the traditional 30 weight or a 5 or 10-30? The GT is the only one I run in winter to plow snow and it's happy with 5-30.

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Synthetic OIl

Ex: I would go with 10W-40 Syn . Why ? Because of it's age and probable compression has dropped down a little . The 40 weight will reduce blowby and consumption in summer and the 10 weight will still allow you easy starting in the colder winter mths. As for the lawn mower straight 30 would be the best possible oil for an older grass mower in my opinion .
Note: Just got off the water and have the Walleye Fillets already in the deep fryer . Have the Generator topped off and ready for the Nascar All-Star Race on my lap top. I guess I had better check out the Beer Cooler lol So much for the rain 75 F will not a cloud in the sky , gotta love them forcasts...Eh ? :)

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, May 22, 11 at 9:22

Hey ewalk, I like the way you rough it up there in the "far north." :-)

yeah, that's about what I'd figured. I'd read posts where the recomendation was to go half dino and half synthetic on the old engines the first time, then go all synthetic. Don't know that makes a lot of sense to me, if it's better, it's better.

If you don't like your forecasts, come down here, they're very consistent, rain, rain, and oh yeah, yet more rain. Yesterday was really weird, there was this round white thing in the sky? After much discussion, fueled by trips to the cooler in the barn we concluded that it must be the sun. We're still not sure as we haven't seen that since feb. or so.....:-)

Ev

o

Synth is awesome. I use 5W-30 year round in all small engines I have (including some old ones). In the older engines, based on the digital tach, it did smooth out the idle a bit.

There is a website BITOG (bob is the oil guy) that goes into painful detail of all the oils and what they provide, if you are interested.

-gh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here