Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus Oil Seals

Posted by recr4000 (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 15:02

Hi
Reading about the cultivator plus here inspired me to look for one.
I already have a Troy-bilt 7hp Horse and a 4hp Junior, but neither could do the delicate cultivating I need to do.
Took a while but just found one on craigs list.
Was not running and had a terrible oil leak at the cultivator tines .
I rebuilt the carburetor and put in a new spark plug and it runs great.
Removed the tines and the oil seal are in need of replacing.
I am not sure how to remove the oil seals from the shaft and where to get a new set.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus Oil Seals

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 9, 13 at 17:22

There are tools to remove seals, but a good sharp screwdriver and hammer should pierce the metal around the seal and you can lever it out. Putting a new one back in is more important.

Lubricate the rubber area and shaft and either use a seal installer or maybe a piece of squared end pipe and be sure to evenly install the seal. It's easy to get cocked. If that happens, put pressure on that area until it levels out. Take note of the depth the current seal is placed and the lip. Seals are installed only one way.

Seals are generic. There might be numbers on the seal. Only buy quality seals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here