Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrichards_gw

Homelite Weed Eater Problem

jeffrichards
17 years ago

The head of my Homelight weed wacker just fell, or should I say, spun off. There's a drive shaft with a squared end that came apart from the head. I can put it back on but it doesn't stay... can this be fixed??

Thanks!

Jeff

Comments (14)

• adkinsca
    17 years ago

It is hard to diagnose without seeing the trimmer.

Is this a straight shaft trimmer? If so, it could be the adaptor shaft has broken. That happened once on my trimmer (Homelite ST-275). The link below is to a parts list for a Homelite trimmer. Check Figure C for a parts view of the trimmer head assembly. The adaptor shaft is key number 8 (Homelite P/N 9855141) in the figure. Mine broke right at the stepped portion.

You may be able to look up a parts diagram for your particular trimmer that would be more helpful. You can try: http://m-and-d.com/parts.html and click on the "Illustrated Parts Diagrams ONLINE".

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homelite trimmer parts list

• adkinsca
    17 years ago

The link below is also a picture of an adaptor shaft in an ebay auction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adaptor shaft photo from ebay auction

• bryonrussell
    17 years ago

I had the same thing happen. i thought about fixing it, but it can be an ordeal to start, but it still runs good. I dunno what to do.

• sandoz
    13 years ago

i have an PBC 3600B PROSEARIES WEED EATER, THAT I CAN NOT PUT THE ON AND HAVE STAY ON. I DON'T HAVE THE INSTRUCTION BOOK. DO YOU HAVE AN ONLINE VERSION.

• billw
    13 years ago

SANDOZ
    What will not stay on?
    I have the illustrated Parts List for your trimmer and stock the parts.
    Bill 785-562-3539

• papasweet
    13 years ago

I have two fairly new 26ss Homelite Mighty Weed Trimmers. Both have less then two (2) hours of running time on them. On one the pull string wont return, it wonÂt start the engine. I tried rewinding the spring and the string at least 8 times and I still canÂt get this thing to work right. I am an automotive machinist of over 40 years I work with the smallest to the largest engines all day. I had several other Top Machinists in the shop take a look at it as well. The string wont return back to its original position after a load is applied to the engine. After the second pull it jams again. The only other option I can think of is to replace the starter pulley. But the trimmer is new right????? I paid $120.00 for the thing new, and spent about $400.00 in time trying to fix it. The other trimmer the muffler fell off after the third (3) usage

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Papa: The Cut nd Paste Expert !

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

There is usually a set screw that holes the head to the shaft housing. My guess is the set screw has vibrated loose and fell off. Do you see any empty holes?

• steveyf
    12 years ago

I've noticed that the head will spin off when you get into higher resistance areas. The trimmer is good for using for basic trimming and edging, but not much more than that. Simply screw it back together to put it back on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homelite Weed Eater

• schwammpy_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

gas tank leaking from what appear to be return line to tank.

can tank or line be replaced? runs fine but leaks gas bad

• Greg Goyeneche
    12 years ago

Problem is not usually the tank, but rather that line has hardened and is not sealing properly to tank opening.

To save money, Homelite, McCulloch, Weedeater and other throw-away trimmers do not use a fitting on the tank, but rather pass the line directly through the holes in the tank. The hole dia. is slightly less than the line OD and the line is squeezed slightly to form a seal. Over time, the line shrinks and you get a leak.

Line can be replaced, but you need correct size and type of line. Best stuff is TYGON yellow PVC, but it's expensive. No-name yellow PVC for fuel service is about 1/3 as much, and is usually OK. As for size, you need to measure with caliper, but I believe you need 3/16" OD X 3/32" ID.

If you have access to a Home Depot or Lowes they sell it blister packed with 18" for about $2.99. Enough to replace both fuel pick up and return line. If you have access to a McMAster-Carr, they sell TYGON brand (5552K22) for $0.77/ft and generic (5187K72) for $0.27/ft.

To install, you need to trim then end of the line to a point, by cutting on diagonal to 45 degrees. Gently push the line in by also twisting at the same time. Once you get a couple of inches in the tank, you should be able to grasp with needle-nose pliers and pull as much as need. Be gentle, because of you pull too hard, you'll stretch the line, and begin leaking immediately. If it's the return line, leave about three inches in the tank. If it's the supply line, cut off square, push the line over the pickup stone and leave long enough so that the stone can move by gravity to any point in the tank. If you're too short, in some positions you'll suck air and the engine will die.

• chiefdouger
    12 years ago

I have a Homelite 26cs weed eater. Shaft at bottom has come out about four inches. It now does not spin. The screw on the bottom side is still in. The shaft won't go back in. Is there a way to take the shaft out and reconnect it, or should I just toss it. I've had it about a year now.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

You know what? These cheap trimmers are not worth crap. I have finally had it with them and am looking at the Echo line to see if they have one I can live with. But as far as I know, they don't make a curved-shaft 'Quick-Link' type with various interchangeable heads. Whatever, I'm going to get a nice trimmer either now or in the spring.

• teowok
    11 years ago

Have a Homelite ST-275 that wouldn't run. Had fuel/spark and a clean air filter. It would fire one time but not run. Finely found the problem. Mud Dauber made a mud nest in the exhaust.