Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
locust78

How to beat fuel-line vacuum in generator?

locust78
11 years ago

This is regarding a Husky 5000 watt, gasoline generator with a Subaru motor. I'm having some difficulty with the initial start-up after it's been sitting for some months. I think that I'm having some kind of vacuum problem between the gas tank and carb. I got around the problem by disconnecting the fuel line at the gas filter, and pouring some gas directly down the line into the carb. After that, it starts & runs just fine. Is there some other way I can beat this vacuum problem? When I store it for a few months at a time, I usually drain the carb bowl. Should I be doing that?

Thanks.

Comments (11)

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

Please explain the primer/purge and fuel tank venting systems (more info on the system. Such as:

1. Is there a primer bulb to squirt fuel into the carb or pressurize the tank or just a choke system?
    2. Is a vent on your tank? If it is not a pressurized tank, have you tried cracking the cap?
    3. Are you storing the unit with fuel stabilizer in the tank vs the carb or both are drained?
    4. Sounds like something in your system is clogged.
    5. Please provide a link or manual's starting procedures and major components in the system

• locust78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is no primer bulb, just a tank, line, gas filter, & choke.

The cap is vented, but I haven't tried pulling the cord with the cap off, or cracked.

I stored the unit with a little gas in the tank. The gas has stabilizer in it. The petcock is turned off and the carb is drained.

I don't think it's a clog, because once I poured enough gas into the fuel line, below the gas filter, it started right up and ran.

The start up goes like this: 1. Turn fuel valve ON. 2. Move choke fully to right. 3. Turn engine switch ON. 4. Pull cord. 5. As engine warms, move choke fully to left.

I'm wondering: since I'm just running it every so often just to keep it 'in shape', I'm only putting a small amount of gas in it. Is it possible that this small amount of gas isn't generating enough pressure to overcome the vacuum & push itself down the line?

• ckr74
    11 years ago

I always store engines with a full tank of fuel. You don't need to drain fuel in carb if stabilizer has been added. There's lot's of debate on this but do what works best for you.

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

1. What age is the gen? Has it always been hard to start as now? Have you felt carb for suction/starting?
    2. "Time Brings About A Change", have you re-torqued carb screws, etc related to good seals/suction?
    3. Have you tried priming carb with Eye-dropper etc and premix from the tank to see if it starts faster?
    4. More gas would push in worm/hot weather, IMO, I feel suction form choking and venting are issues.
    5. You might apply a mild suction on the fuel line with a med size eye-dropper to see if vent allows fuel.

• locust78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The gen is basically brand new. I don't know how to feel the carb for suction.

When I disconnected the fuel line and dribbled some gas down toward the carb, is that considered priming it? If so, I did it, and it worked. After that, all went fine. Just that initial start after sitting, and trying to get the juices flowing...

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

"When I disconnected the fuel line and dribbled some gas down toward the carb, is that considered priming it"
    YES

You might get a spray can of carb cleaner. That would be a lot more convenient.

Who wants to be messing with a fuel line in the dark when you actually NEED the GEN?

• locust78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Who wants to be messing with a fuel line in the dark when you actually NEED the GEN?"

I'm with you on that. If I do spray some starter/cleaner into the carb, for that initial boost, where in the carb should I be spraying it? Up in through the drain hole?

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

Please post a link or picture showing Carb. The choke plate area in the throat of your carb is where you would spray. That is also where you would try to feel for signs of suction. The choke plate "Choked" helps to increase the suction to pull the fuel to the carb.

1. Check to see if the choke plate closes the throat in the full choke position (it might need adjusting).
    2. Try and cover the throat with thin tape (not too tight to see movement) and pull to crank with the ignition switch off or plug wire off so it w/n start. Hopefully you will see some movement at the tape indicating suction.

Experienced Techs, Please share some feedback on this info. Thanks!

• andyma_gw
    11 years ago

I dont know how long you messed with it, but you did get it running. Get your self a spray can of carb cleaner to streamline the revival process, Also keep a can of Berryman B12 cleaner to dose your first tank of gas.

• dfk592
    7 years ago

my fuel is just dripping ito the carb the line is good but take bowl off and it just drips what can i do

• chas045
    7 years ago

If I understand you correctly, gas drips out of carb. This suggests that your carb. is over filling with gas because either your Float has a leak/crack (or improperly bent/adjusted), or the float needle or the needle seat is worn or damaged.