Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda tiller advice

Posted by mikyll PA (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 15:51

I just bought a used, but excellant condition Honda FR800 Rear Tine 8hp tiller. The deal was too good to refuse, so I did not have much time to research it, but I knew it was #1, in great shape, #2 a great deal, and #3 a Honda. Didn't think I could go wrong no matter what. My problem is this, the tines the guy has on it have no right or left curve whatsoever. They simply curve straight back and are only a couple inches long (excuse my ignorance, This may have a common proper name). Even at the maximum depth setting it only tills about 5 inches at most. I have heard that you can buy different tines, but that information has been difficult to locate. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to find standard long curved tines with an L at the end, but info has been few and far between. I'm not real sure why this guy would have even been using this sort of tine. I really wasn't planning on reselling the Honda, but I am much happier with my old YardPro 8hp rear tine. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honda tiller advice

The curved (bolo tines) are available for the FRC800. You need to look at the attaching points. You could use any bolo that matches the attaching points. Sounds like your tines are simply worn out. At least the only time I have seen knife like tines, that was the case. Bolos don't last too long in gravelly soils.

o

I suggest that you remove the tine assembly from either side and take it to your local Honda Outdoor Power Equipment dealer's parts counter. The parts person can quickly look up the tine types that were available for your model and then identify what you have. I don't know of an alternate source of supply for Honda tines.

Look at this way. You bought a great tiller for a great price and the only thing separating you from gardening happiness is the price of a new set of tines. Yes, they won't be cheap but neither was that Honda tiller when new. If you have reasonable soil and are not in business to grow things, then a new set of tines will likely last you 20 years or more.

o

Try the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plano Power FR800 parts

o

You might also try:
http://www.milfordpower.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here