Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Loppers

Posted by fly2high NY (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 15:51

Had a pair of extendable lopper with a large bypass blade and the point where the blade inserts into the handle stetched out wider and the plastic insert holding them came out. Also the aluminum oval tubular handles bent and the bumper preventing them from busting your knuckles worn and now can hit.

Am looking for a landscaper quality pair.

Any suggestions???

Not sure on fiskkars ratchet b/c it requires the handles to be very far apart to get a large branch in there.

Looking for about a 30 inch, give or take bypass lopper.

thanks

Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Loppers

If price is no object, Felco is hard to beat. Otherwise, Fiskars is good too and has good customer service.

o

I am looking for dealer of Bahco and Felco and so far only found one company with the Felco. I heard the BAhco are really good too.

Not sure on how the handles are attached to the 'working end' on the Bahco. Also, I would like to hold each and see how they feel and operate.

Most companies carry Stihl and their version of a lopper.

When I look at it online, it looks very similar to the Toro but the toro are like 1/3 the price. Who make what for whom?

Frank

o

Check out Garrett Wade.

Here is a link that might be useful: High Quality Loppers

o

anyone else have any suggestions or recommendations on ones to avoid?

o

I'd avoid ones like you had :). Since you bent the pair you had, it sounds like you need heavier duty loppers and looking at the commercial ones is the smart thing to do.

Corona usually makes decent stuff. Felco, Bahco and Fiskars as mentioned are typically high quality. Fiskars often goes for the the lightweight high tech solution (composites, lightened parts, etc.). If you don't need telescoping then don't buy that feature. It is just something else to fail.

o

Check out Lee Valley Tools. They carry the same Canadian-made loppers as Garrett-Wade for a few bucks less. They also have a 24" Felco bypass lopper(which they advertise as 2" capacity)made of aluminum if you're looking for extreme light weight. The Felco's are pricey.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here