Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doug7210

Ryobi cs30 weedeater won't start

doug7210
17 years ago

I bought a new Ryobi weedeater over the weekend. After using it for about an hour, the engine died (like it was out of fuel, which it wasn't) and I couldn't get it restarted. Any ideas?

Comments (47)

• mla2ofus
    17 years ago

Not to offend your intelligence, but you did mix oil w/ gas?
    Mike

• jtc001
    17 years ago

Does the engine turn over?

Does the engine have a spark? Take the spark plug out and make sure it is grounded against the engine. Put the engine on and pull the starter cord. There should be a nice blue spark. Be sure you are not touching the spark plug as you do this (you will NEVER forget it again).

Is the spark plug wet with gasoline?

Finally, is the spark plug connected correctly?

• woodsrunner55
    17 years ago

I had the same problem with a 31 cc Ryobi Blower-Vac. After trying everything (and I DO mean everything) I and every one else could think of, I was ready to replace the ignition module. Just for the heck of it, though, I pulled the plug and squirted a few drops of 30w oil in the cylinder and replaced the plug. It started on the first pull. Smoked pretty good for a while, but after that cleared it ran just as good as it ever did, and now it starts just fine. Still haven't figured that one out, but at least it's running.

• deerslayer
    17 years ago

WoodsRunner, I bet that you had a slightly corroded/dirty spark plug wire connection. You corrected it when you disconnected and reconnected your spark plug wire.

-Deersalyer

• woodsrunner55
    17 years ago

Nope, I had replaced the plug and cleaned the connections long before. I use dielectric grease in all my electrical connections to prevent that sort of thing. Also cleaned the carb, fuel lines, exhaust screen, etc. and used fresh 2-stroke mix.
    Starting it with the oil like that would normally indicate bad rings, but I also know for a fact that they are fine. Just another of life's little mysteries.

• buttlint
    17 years ago

Either:
    Take it back too the box and get your money back.
    Or take it too an authorized dealer and have it checked out.
    It could be something like a blown flywheel key which you are not going too fix yourself anyhow.

• roozter
    17 years ago

I fixed my Ryobi CS30 problem. I cleaned the air filter, and the spark arrestor, and the muffler. I oiled the throttle cable and I still could not get this thing to run correctly. I began to remove the carburetor and noticed that the whole cylinder casing seemed loose. It was very loose (about 1/16" air gap). It is amazing that I could get this thing to run at all.

I tightened the three bolts at the bottom of the cylinder casing, (you have to remove the rear black plastic cover) and now it runs like new.

• kroger1
    16 years ago

have cs30 also won't start tried all of the above, proper gas, have spark, cleaned arrestor, air filter...ect. cannot manualy pump fuel into cylinder. checked fuel tank,air filter on cap, all vented OK, can start
    manually prime cylinder sometimes. IDEAS??????......

• giventake
    16 years ago

The cs30 use's a flywheel with the key cast into it. and the cs 31 flywheel won't fit it. It also has a sorry centrifical
    clutch, take the thing back and get your money and buy something else.

• tommy316
    16 years ago

woodsrunner55 im going to try your idea in the am
    and thanks to you too roozter im going to check your idea out too i need to get this thing running tomrrow for the boss lady tks agine tommy316

• oregonyardman
    16 years ago

See if your shut-off switch is shorting out against metal. Some switches are defective too.

• honeybird
    16 years ago

I have changed the carburator, changed the fuel line, Had new gas/oil mixture: 40:1. Still not start. Changed spark plub, gap .025. Put a little gas down the plug, it start for a couple of seconds then dies. I can't of anyting elese to try, Help.

• buttlint
    16 years ago

Ryobi cs-30's in a nutshell.(Engine problems only.)
    Blown flywheel keys.
    Loose cylinder screws.
    Undiscovered carb adjustment screws.
    Kinked fuel lines.
    Scored cylinders from chips and debri, unfinished ports, air leaks, and out of place piston pin circlips.
    And.....A 2 year warranty that any real Homelite dealer has no problem honoring.

• pugnation
    16 years ago

where is the spark arrestor on a cs30?

• slidell
    15 years ago

What is the proper mixture of fuel for the Ryobi CS30 ?

• michael_1959
    14 years ago

The spark arrestor is located between the muffler and the exhaust port. The correct gas/oil mixture if 50:1

• itstim
    14 years ago

Where are the carburator adjustments screws? I see 2 things that look like they should be carb adjust screws but they don't have a slit or cross for a flat head or philips screwdriver.

• paulflyboy
    14 years ago

itstim,

I have a homelite and my carb screws were just like yours. They had no slit in them, so I cut some slits in them with a dremel tool. Worked like a charm, and now I can adjust it to make it run better.

• hellobaba
    14 years ago

I cleaned the plug and tried ti fill up the tank with mixed gasoline, then started leaking from the bottom of the gas tank. Then I found a circular hole next to the gas line tubing. I feel like something like a washer or something missing there? All it needs to block that hole? would you recommend what I needed to do?
    Thanks

• squirrell
    14 years ago

hellobaba... there is a white plastic washer that goes over the supply line that goes to the carb. that holds the line filter down to the bottom of the tank and keep it from leaking. there should be another line going to tank that is the return line you need both....Hope that helps

• jdhb_comporium_net
    13 years ago

add fuel stabilizer to the gas can before you put gas into your equipment. our gas has ethanol which eats carburetors.

• pinkman
    13 years ago

where are the carb adjusting screws located on a 20004 model cs30?

• dlbyrd_verizon_com
    13 years ago

MY CS30 WILL NOT RUN AT FULL POWER UNLESS I DEEP PUMPING THE PRIMER

• dlbyrd5_verizion_net
    13 years ago

MY CS30 WILL NOT RUN AT FULL SPEED WITH OUT PUMPING THE PRIMER

• ewalk
    13 years ago

DLB: Your carb is fouled , get some carb cleaner and ensure fresh fuel .

• mikeowen_owenscorner_co_uk
    13 years ago

Hi, I have just managed to find the answer to a similar problem with a blower/vac. Let me start by saying that I've misspent my life around 2-strokes and take these kind of problems as a challenge - my nephew gave me this as he had given up. I F****d about with all aspect of this, the carb, the coil, the exhaust and in the end the problem was the gasket under the barrel! I took the torq screws out and placed a washer under each to stop them from bottoming in the cylinder and therfore clamping the gasket and hey presto it starts first go and the carb progression is okay.
    I don't say this is the answer to all of these problems but it certainly worked on mine, give it a try. Good luck.

• martina_hemming_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Ryobi has had a problem the last couple of years with providing the wrong oil with some of their weed eaters which caused them to seize up after a short time. It's a known problem, but we still see them on the shelves at Home Depot. We found this out by calling Ryobi. Home Depot easily accepted the return, but we had to sort through the stock to find one with the correct oil.

• pjsca40_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I can't get to the pull string on my ryobi CS30..its been great..They say you cant get to the pull cord ..Is that true?? Man I hope not..please HELP..

• fbillfoster1_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a SS30, model RY30550. It starts ok when I first use it but once I shut it off I can't restart it until it cools off. What's the problem?

• jrossiter_rcn_com
    12 years ago

to say the least these weed whackers suck ! i have the ry30550 and i used it 4 times and now its back firing after a few seconds of it being started then it dies!when i restart it the same thing back fire n die ! if anyone has any ideas please email me and fill me in ! im ready to drive this thing to the walt witman an toss it over board !!!!!!! this is what i get for ever steering away from a echo!

• ewalk
    12 years ago

This Thread should e a Memorial Site for Ryobi Trimmers lol. Got my 1st one in this weekend from a neighbor , Hell I thought the Ole Weed-eaters where shabby these things are pure Rubbish ! I told him to return to buying Quality units , apparently his Son in Law Purchased it for him for Father's Day !

• jcovello
    11 years ago

I have 3 dead Ryobi weed eaters in the shed. I have experienced most if not all of the problems described here. I keep getting sucked in to buying another one since I have many the attachments. Finally after reading this blog I have decided it is just NOT WORTH IT. I just bought another 4 stroke Ryobi and am going to return it since I haven't opened it yet I AM GOING TO PAY THE EXTRA BUCKS AND BUY AN ECHO! Best luck to all!

• rcmoser
    11 years ago

4 strokes usually are alot better. I got one I've had for 11 years and haven't done anything to it except change the oil and put gas in it. Starts every time on second or third pull. Would I buy another??? probably not. Seems Like they get cheaper as the years go by????? How I don't know but they manage to do it!!!!!!!!

• wignalls
    10 years ago

Hi Guys
    Sorry to but in but new to this forum and not sure were to post this" Royobi RBL30BPT BLOWER WILL NOT START, I have a spark, clean petrol mixed 50/1 like it says on the cap, I just bought this off a carboot today, the guy said it runs just need new petrol, so I change the old petrol and cleaned the carb, it starts after alot of pulling only on full choke, and will only run on choke, spits petrol out of the carb when the airfilter is not fitted, when reved up it stalls and will not restart, only after hour of pulling it!!! when it was running I restricted the blower output and the engine reved up , then down again when unblocked the blower output. can any one help please??? what am I missing?
    Richie

• Genecantu
    9 years ago

May sound like a stupid question but my cs 30 won't start and I drained the gas tank first. Then I saw two lines inside the gas tk. one had the fuel filter attached at the end of the line. The other only goes into the tank about maybe 1 inch or inch and a half at the top of gas tank. Is this short line supposed to go in further?

• j_silvetti
    8 years ago

OK gentlemen, I have a CS30 Weed Eater which suffers from running for only a few seconds to occasionally 1 minute with the throttle increased. It sounds strong when it runs, but then dies like fuel starvation and won't restart for a while and then usually for only a few seconds. I have pumped the bulb, loosened the gas cap for equalization, all to no avail. I have done the following:

New spark plug

Cleaned tank and using fresh non-methanol gas mix

New air filter

Inspected spark arrestor, in perfect condition

cleaned carburetor twice. Looks in pristine condition

Fuel lines are in good repair and working without leaks

Attempted to tighten cylinder head screws, already tight

What is left?

• upup_and_away
    8 years ago

Silvetti - Looks like you covered all bases except one - there may (likely) be a leak in the fuel system. Without a pressure gauge, a basic test is to prime it, let it sit for a min, then disconnect the gas line from the carb. Not getting a squirt of gas means air leak somewhere letting pressure out so no pressure pushing the gas up to the carb. You could also fill the tank and tip it then run the test so the hoses going into tank and the cap are "underwater" and would show any obvious leak. I know its messy but gives u a definite answer.

Genecantu - no short is fine, that is just the pressure line to pressurize the tank and pushing gas up the other line so it doesnt need to be submerged.

• j_silvetti
    8 years ago

Gentlemen,

I will inspect and attempt your suggestions. A vacuum leak to the carb would certainly explain it.

• j_silvetti
    8 years ago

well, both fuel lines are solid, will hold a small vacuum and pressure up. The fuel tank looks in excellent condition. Put the fuel back in......pull and pull and pull and fire up for 2-3 seconds and pull and pull......... Not sure what is happening. Could it be fire?

• upup_and_away
    8 years ago

Spark problem? maybe. If u take the plug out and add a few drops of gas, then it starts, that would confirm u have a fuel problem.

From under the flywheel (anywhere toward the front of the motor), is it very dirty?

• j_silvetti
    8 years ago

I will try the fuel drop although the bulb will display still holding fuel after 24 hours. I do however, see bubbles in the line returning to the fuel tank.

I attempted to look at the front of the motor, however, was unsure how to get the flywheel off.

• upup_and_away
    8 years ago

the line going from next to the primer back to tank, bubbles-fine. Not the other line though..

Scratch looking under the flywheel. get one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/90-inline-ignition-spark-checker-69023.html and test it when it dies just to confirm it still sparks.

Are there two fuel mix screws on the side of the carb?

• j_silvetti
    8 years ago

I will get to it again this weekend. I will check and see which lines shows air bubbles. Spark testing will be definitive as to whether the problem is fuel or fire. There are two (factory tool accessible) adjustments on the side of the carb with a bigger 3rd above it which the manual calls the "idle" adjustment" and is a common screw head.

• Shawn T
    3 years ago

SS30 ryobi weedeater. Runs awesome then bogs out. If I turn it upside down real quick it will stay running. But level it out bugs and stalls out?

• ssewalk1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Just a note , check that the weighted fuel filter located within the fuel tank on the end of the fuel line has not broken off , causing fuel starvation . It happens lol.