Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sharpening low end chipper shredder blades

Posted by bryansong Missouri (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 16:19

I am going to purchase a low end chipper shredder (new) but before I do so I want to know how to sharpen the knives or blades. I see there are several brands to choose from but I don't have much room to store a new unit plus I really don't want to spend $1,200 and up. Tractor Supply has an Earthquake model for $600 which is more in my price rage but I do not want to buy it if it can't be maintained in the long term.
To the point, when the blades/knives get dull, who will sharpen them?
Any comments welcome.

Bryansong
Independence, Mo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sharpening low end chipper shredder blades

• Posted by mla2ofus z7b Tom Green Co.,Tx (My Page) on
    Sun, May 2, 10 at 16:59

I have an old MTD, I've sharpened the blades a couple of times w/ my 4" disc grinder, taking care not to get them too hot so they won't lose their temper. They've held up quite well.
Mike

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 3, 10 at 11:24

On the more expensive models the blades are sharpened on a water wheel, to keep them cool.

There is a post on here about a similar purchase for a gardening co-op. It might be a good read.

o

Why not get more bang for your buck by purchasing a used Troy Bilt Super Tomahawk? They can be bought for well under your budget, are very well made and long lasting. Parts are available on ebay and the flails are reversable for up to four uses.

I own two of them and I use them often ... as in several times each week. They are ten times the machine you are considering paying more for. just my .02

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here