Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nysff

Replacement chain saw for Husqvarna 268XP

nysff
13 years ago

After 20 years with the my Husqvarna 268XP, I think it's time for a smaller, lighter saw. It was probably more saw than I needed when I bought, but it served me very well. I'm just a homeowner with large, wooded rural/suburban type lot and do some occasional cutting for neighbors/family. Although I have no complaints about the saw, after 20 years, it's getting a little heavy for the type of work I do with it.

With the experience I've had with Husqvarna and a desire to have a pro quality saw, the new 346XP jumps out as the clear choice. However, I've been thinking, given my use, the "landowner" or Stihl "mid-range" type saws would probably be OK and save a few bucks. Also, I been thinking maybe I should look hard at Stihl as well.

For the mid-range saws, I was looking at either the Husky 450/450e-series or the Stihl MS270. MS280 looks good as well, however, at that price, I'll just buy the 346XP. Any thoughts on those two saws?

And I'm still looking hard at the 346XP and would give the Stihl MS260 Pro a look as well. I could be cutting for another 10-15, who knows maybe another 20 years, so the extra $100-150 for the pro saw isn't much on a yearly basis. But, with two kids, I woulnd't mind keeping the extra funds if a mid-range saw would fit the bill.

Any comments from anyone with any experience with these would be appreciated. Also, anyone have a thought on what a 1989 Husky 268XP with homeowner use (no firewood cutting) would bring on the used market? I'm hoping it will bring in something reasonable to cover part of the cost of the new saw.Thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists